Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Red Kittie Kat
    Happy Halloween!!!!
    Red Kittie Kat

Eat lots of candy all you Groovie Graphic Ghoulies!!! ...
    Today, 11:46 AM
  • Red Kittie Kat
    Reply to NEW! Coca Cola !!!!LIFE!!!! font or similar?
    Red Kittie Kat
    I'm going to agree with <b> I believe that is a custom design job, not a font. There is a similar font called Thought Zest which might work for what you are looking for....
    Today, 11:28 AM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to Cover Layout Feedback
    PrintDriver
    Quite honestly?
    It's a cover for a project you've been working on.
    Because we do not know what your project was that is using this cover, there is no way to know if it works or not.
    Today, 11:10 AM
  • captain spanky
    Reply to Stickers
    captain spanky
    As far as sticker printers go... i can fully recommend http://stickerobot.com ...cheap and the quality is by far the best i've had. Some stickers i did nearly 8 years ago are still stuck out and about...
    Today, 09:22 AM
  • damonharris
    Reply to Business Logo Design
    damonharris
    Logo represent you and your business. If it's presentable enough, that means you are credible too in giving services to the clients or customers. That's why it's very important in any business because...
    Today, 06:12 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salary Negotiation.

I just go offered a job at Cutting Edge Media and a web designer. They are a network marketing comapany near Harrisburg, PA. The only problem is, they offered me a salary, that I'm not to crazy about. It's just under my monthly expenses... It's well under $35,000 a year... I researched average salaries in web design, and it's at the very bottom of the payscale. I mean, I don't have a ton of experience, but my work dosent suck either, and they are offering my less than my montly expenses which includes a $600 apartment, so it's not like I have a high budget either.

How do I go about asking for about $5,000 more a year than they offered me? Would this sound or be unreasonable to ask for?

The first thing I might mention is not to specifically name the place you are going to be working for, especially at this point in the game.

Comment

I would ask for it yes, if you feel its deserved, but not for the reasons you just stated. Your monthly expenses isn't and shouldn't be their concern. Ask for it because you are worth it and feel your work is worth it. You are new to the industry and need to prove to them you are worth that increase. This might have to wait until you are on the job. But I don't seem the harm in talking to them about it tactively.

Alot of places may start you off low (especially as a jr) and after 3-6months you could be given a review and possible further compensation....ask about that. These 3-6 months could make or break you. It's not all about your design work, but your personality and how you fit in to office culture. Employers don't just fork money over because your expenses dictate it.
      You are fresh and new to the workforce with alot to learn, so I wouldn't demand anything, but ask about future compensation, you may have something bigger to look forward to. You may not get what you want at first.
      Freelance on the side for the extra cash.
      "You're just jealous because YOUR hat doesn't have a clock in it!"

Comment

The first thing I might mention is not to specifically name the place you are going to be working for, especially at this point in the game.
        yeah its a smaller design community out there than you think.

Comment

Well I don't think your stuff sucks either! Go for it! Wear your clown shoes for respect!
          N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

ERiC's DESiGN HOUSE - (check me out)
          http://ericdesignhouse.blogspot.com/

Design is a plan for arranging elements in such a way as best to accomplish a particular purpose.
          -Charles Eames

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBluePanda
              Yarrr that's good advice matey! Yer can never sure when some scoundrel's gizoogling whilst sippin' their grog. Arrrr!
              "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

Go for it. I guess the question is will you be willing to work for what they are paying now? If not, then better to ask for more.
                It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

I feel you. I've been doing the underpaid thing, and degrading my payscale for years. I worked in restaraunts near fulltime as I went to an overpriced school for years. I was making around 35,000/yr. Then I got a job at a sign company learning print. that took me down to around 30,000, but I worked the tables for a couple of months, till it got to be too much. I got a raise (two dollars an hour... they pay hourly.) Now I'm going to a job that brings me back down to 30. However my freelance and part time that I'll work at the shop should help me cover my living expenses.

The truth is. If this is a good experience, then take it. money will figure itself out, but when we are starting out, we need to take any experience that will make us better designers and will help fill our portfolio with more than just mock ups.
                  My Site

Comment

If this is a good experience, then take it. money will figure itself out, but when we are starting out, we need to take any experience that will make us better designers and will help fill our portfolio with more than just mock ups.
                    good point

Comment

ARRRRR Pirate Ire!!!!

I too know the feelin' oer underpaid services lad, I'm in a bit different situation (I also be lovin me shipmates, bless their hearts) but I signed on knowing that this place didnt have a lot to pay, but the potential for growth makes up for it, of course I be startin' a mutiny if pay does not soon.

But if they be payin you less than your worth, and they can afford to pay more, you make them pay more, and if not, they can go through the trouble of finding someone else to take care of what you can.
                      "To be is to do" --Socrates.
                      "To do is to be" --Jean-Paul Sartre.
                      "Do be do be do" --Frank Sinatra

Comment

I understand that most employers have a budget in mind when hiring someone for a job, and usually throw out a lower number than they are actually willing to pay, expecting to negotiate. If this is true, I should be ok with asking for 5,000 more, I'm thinking. I dont think its too much for me to ask to live comfortably, and I know 5,000 a year is not alot for this company to spare, whereas it would make all the difference to me. The fact is, I don't think I can live comfortably on what they want to pay, so I am pretty much counting on them to budge at LEAST 2,000 a year... I would even accept that. I guess all I can do is try and negotiate and see what happens tomarrow.
                        Last edited by jmilin5931; 09-20-2006, 02:49 AM.

Comment

Did you ask!? or am I premature with this question......I am curious to know how it went!

Design is a plan for arranging elements in such a way as best to accomplish a particular purpose.
                          -Charles Eames

Comment

I'm currently in salary negotiation too. I've been in my job since January and very underpaid, but I took the job for experience and because I had been looking for a while. They've offered me a raise, but it is a pittance and still far far under average for entry-level design. They claim they can't afford more because they are a start up, but when I probed for how much they think I might be making a few years down the line when cash flow improves it was still low. So what to do? Keep working for peanuts while actively looking for something better. If they want to retain employees they need to pay them respectful wages.

My advice, assuming you are currently not working, is to take the job but keep looking. (edit: ask for the extra $5k anyway, but _any_ job is usually better then no job)

Comment

Originally posted by Malaclypse
                              My advice, assuming you are currently not working, is to take the job but keep looking. (edit: ask for the extra $5k anyway, but _any_ job is usually better then no job)
                              I agree....a job is a job is a job....work and don't stop looking!

-Charles Eames

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X