X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online Mystery Shopper companies

I just found this online mystery shopper company (name with held but can be PM-ed to you on request). Well, one of their requirements in their very credible looking online "shopper's profile forms" includes banking details of the applicant (me). I found it suspicious that they want to know my bank account number - sounds dubious .

I have spoken (via email) to a contact person and expressed that I would rather receive any payments through international money tranfer (Western Union or Money Gram to be specific), as I am not within the scope of PayPal, they said ok.

What do you know about Mystery Shopping and online Mystery shopping in particular?
    Purity and simplicity... and ubuntu.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.
    - Bishop Desmond Tutu

most mystery shopping programs are scams, especially those online. They essentially are offering a program in which you pay money up front for info that leads you to other programs for mystery shopping. Basically a pyramid scheme, and something to be avoided. If they are asking bank info be especially careful, I don't know how come identity theft is in your area sama, but they don't need very much info to start pretending to be you. They can have my identity and all the debt that goes with it ;P

Be very careful, check the company on here http://www.badbusinessbureau.com/ and do web searches of the company name. If nothing else they'll start spamming your inbox with mail.
    Tapp-d
    "I has puter, I isam dsgna?!"

Comment

I would never, for any reason give my banking info out on the web.
      "You're just jealous because YOUR hat doesn't have a clock in it!"

Comment

Originally posted by Drorain
        They can have my identity and all the debt that goes with it ;P
        lol! Same here!
        Let me see you make decisions without your televisions.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

Thanks!

I think it's one of those scams to get back at Nigerian "411" scams perhaps...

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.
          - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

BTW that bad business link is awfully busy...will try later.

- Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Lol maybe you could bait them like the people over at http://www.419eater.com/

some of there pranks are mean, but its amazing how far they'll go to try and scam ya
              Tapp-d

Comment

One thing comes to my mind is: If it is too good to be true? It probably is.

If you have to pay into starting a quick business, read the ad for key words like: downline, upline, support coach, ect.., they will be an a M.L.M (multi-level marketing)/pyramid scam, a so called "job" really isnt a job. I found this out when I saw an ad for the USPS (United States Postal Service) jobs, I went down and showed the main office here in Salt Lake City, I talked to the manager who hires, they told me that those ads just get people to pay to give them listings (as mentioned), IF the USPS had jobs avalable, they would let people know with out going through an ad agency. Don't fall for those, it is most likely a scam.
                pas·sion
                If there is no passion in your life, then have you already lived? Find your passion, whatever it may be. Become it, and let it become you, and you will find great things happen for you, to you, and because of you.
                -T. Alan Armstrong

Comment

*slaps forehead* I meant "419".

- Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Originally posted by Navian
                    read the ad for key words like: downline, upline, support coach, ect.., they will be an a M.L.M (multi-level marketing)/pyramid scam, a so called "job" really isnt a job.
                    Surprisingly, none of the above words have been used, they have emphatically said no payments are required from me.

Dro: Thanks for the baiting link.

And it has not shown as a bad business company either...

- Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

no problem, just something to remember, and for them something cool to laugh at
                      Tapp-d

Comment

I belong to a mystery shoppers company and for the most part its decent. PM me if you want the URL. They send you prospects daily via email. You can also search through an online database. They dont pay so well (depends on the shop) the few that I did paid 7 - 10 bucks each which I guess isn't bad for an hours work. But they sent me a check and I got my cash so I've been satisfied.
                        Man who farts in church, sits in own pew.

Comment

http://www.snopes.com/fraud/employment/shopper.asp
                          Annie
                          ...I've wrestled with reality for thirty-five years, and I'm happy, Doctor; I finally won out over it!

Comment

There are many mystery shopping companies that are legit. I would only "shop" for local companies that I can physically meet the people who run the market feedback company.

So often you have to put out money up front to get reimbersed.

I am skeptical of companies that I cannot verify, especially online companies. The online ones, seem a bit more like target marketing to get you to buy a product or a service up front. No way to be sure you will get refunded.
                            Viki Anderson Graphics & Design on Demand
                            Through the Looking Glass

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                            Working...
                            X