X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CD Label Making-Getting Clear Background

I'm extremely new to Photoshop and cover design, so I know mos people on this will probably find this question a joke. So if you seriously know, please let me know...

I usually see on most CDs, the artwork has like a clear background... Not a color, but it looks to be the original (color) of the CD itself... I was wondering how one can make a CD label so that can be the background. Whenever I use templates and stuff for the CD label it's always a white background.. But that's not what I want. I'm not very good at explaining this but if you know what I mean, please reply.

You need a special printer that will print directly onto the CD's. With conventional printers, you're printing on paper, which of course, would not be clear.
    "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

Are you bulk ordering these or printing them at home?

If you are going through an actual printer/manufacturer then you can order them as a white flood (that means white background on cd before printing it) or without. Without the white flood, the cd would have silver showing through the blank areas.
      You're no longer a child when a mud puddle is an obstacle rather than an opportunity!

Comment

Originally posted by cornfed
        Are you bulk ordering these or printing them at home?

If you are going through an actual printer/manufacturer then you can order them as a white flood (that means white background on cd before printing it) or without. Without the white flood, the cd would have silver showing through the blank areas.
        i'm getting them manufactured pro.. but my question is.. how do i make the artwork on the actual CD in such a way that there are blank areas.. because when i use a template there's already a white background

Comment

Just tell them when you order the cds that it is designed for a silver background, not the white flood. You can also put a note on your file so they'll know. As far as designing and seeing what its gonna look like before printing, I haven't figured that out!
          You're no longer a child when a mud puddle is an obstacle rather than an opportunity!

Comment

I believe the pros silkscreen the cds.
            WYSIWYG

Comment

The white is on there already before they print cd's that have white behind them. No white in your file is ever gonna print. Usually, cd's are spot colors. If you have red and blue spot colors, then thats whats gonna print. White won't have anything to do with it.

Using the white flood is beneficial in that it lets you use that white to your advantage as a third color without extra charge!

Comment

Get a lightscrib burner....that is cheap and still cool! but will not have much color!
                N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

ERiC's DESiGN HOUSE - (check me out)
                http://ericdesignhouse.blogspot.com/

Design is a plan for arranging elements in such a way as best to accomplish a particular purpose.
                -Charles Eames

Comment

I'm gonna ask about that. The ones I order aren't silkscreened, I don't think.

Comment

so i leave the white background from my template on it and tell them like *Note: White background = silver"

Comment

Yep!

Comment

Originally posted by gary_hype77
                        so i leave the white background from my template on it and tell them like *Note: White background = silver"
                        Actually, you might be better off writing, "White=CD substrate," so that the printer doesn't accidentally print a silver spot color instead. It sounds stupid, but you just never know with printers sometimes. With some printers you need to be very, very specific in your notes.

Comment

On this job, I would also suggest you send along a sample of what you expect...
                          Purity and simplicity... and ubuntu.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.
                          - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Have you actually asked the printer what way they want it?

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                            Working...
                            X