Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Judy Smith
    Reply to The ad I posted in classifieds was not posted
    Judy Smith
    On the post, I had linked to a thread on this forum, wherein someone advised me to post the term "volunteer" in the subject line of the classifieds section....
    Today, 03:33 AM
  • PanToshi
    Reply to First Time App Project Advice Needed
    PanToshi
    Welcome to GDF dude

We ask all new members to read the very important links here and here. These explain the rules and how the forum runs. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every...
    Today, 02:17 AM
  • BillyLogan
    Reply to Opinions on My Logo?
    BillyLogan
    Absolutely better. Just make sure the tag line's readable if you ever print it....
    Today, 01:47 AM
  • BillyLogan
    Reply to Custom social icons
    BillyLogan
    For me, customizing your own social media icons reflect creativity and imagination. However, it may tend to look less professional because of the artistry of some people. So if you have a corporate website,...
    Today, 01:40 AM
  • garricks
    Reply to The ad I posted in classifieds was not posted
    garricks
    Judy, the description of the sub forum reads:

Jobs and Paying projects.NO SPEC WORK OR CONTESTS! PAID WORK ONLY! IF IT'S NOT PAYING WORK DO NOT POST IT HERE!!! If you don't want the job,...
    Today, 12:49 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting round the Mac problem

So . . I have seen the dream job advertised in my local paper.
    Good company, loads of benefits. The office is actually a country manor which looks unbelievable!!!!

I can do everything they want and more and I'm going to apply. Only problem is they are 100% Mac based. I have never, in my 6-7 years as a designer, even touched a Mac. I know at the end of the day it's only a tool and it obviously doesn't make a designer great just because he/she can use one.

Having said that what would be a good way of getting round this problem when I apply! I would love to learn how to use one but I am afraid they will look past me because I have never used one!

Any thoughts about what to include in my covering letter etc would be great. Thanks!
    Design is only as good as what it achieves

the apps work the same on both platfroms its just the keyboard short cuts that will be sightly different, Macs are pretty straight forward just may take you a bit of time to figure out where everything is.

do you know any one with a mac that you can have a play on for a couple of hours just to familiarise yourself? Maybe pop in to you local apple store and have a play?

Comment

I'm sure there's a MAC short-cuts somewhere online...

All the best in your new job!
      Purity and simplicity... and ubuntu.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.
      - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

I'd say a Mac is easier to use than a PC for design stuff, so you should be fine.
        It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Operating system:
          http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75459

Illustrator, Indesign, Photoshop etc:
          http://www.nobledesktop.com/shortcuts.html

Comment

Are the shortcuts not customisable on a Mac like on a PC? If they are then that's not really going to be an issue!

Thanks for the links Dis!

Comment

no worries

p.s. yeah they are customisable... i can just never be arsed to do it, and you dont have an "apple" key on a PC

Comment

Easy to wing it!

You can sooo wing this one, Godders.
                I do believe the barrage of branding messages the PC and Mac camps fire at each other in advertising media can fairly intimidate new Mac user prospects, strangely enough...don't let any of this dissuade you.
                I familiarized myself with Mac by popping in at my local CompUSA store, clicking away upon their displayed Mac machines. GUI is very similar.
                There are many similarities between the two...
                Be sure to describe yourself in the app as "readily adaptable".

Comment

I'm not too worried about the use of software as such, I think it's the OS that's the thing I need to understand. Things like font management, archiving and searching . . . you know real basic everyday stuff that you don't really think about. Shouldn't be difficult to get to grips with if they give me a chance to prove it! I was thinking about getting a new PC for my freelancing so I might go down the Mac route and that'll kill 2 birds with one stone. Quite fancy the new Imac core2 duo. Thanks for your advice though guys!!

Comment

font management on a mac uses Suitcase ar a similar app... drag and drop, really easy to use.

find "apple" "F" type in what your looking for...

id buy mac personally, especially if your in the UK ive never worked anywhere that uses PC's in like 12 years. It suprises me that you've never touched a mac in 6-7years... are you print or web based?

Comment

I've never used a mac either in my 13.7 years
                      Purity and simplicity... and ubuntu.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.
                      - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Mainly print. My background is in print as I did litho printing for 3 years before I got into design! The print shop I worked at had Macs but at the time, when i was 16, Graphics was virtually unknown to me. When i left and went into fashion it's only then i got introduced to a PC and Adobe. I have been doing packaging for fashion ever since and then there's my freelance work where I do a bit of everything. I can do web stuff, but not to the same proficiancy, wll not yet anyways. I know it's a bit strange that I have never used a Mac but I have never need one in my current role. Time for me to spread my wings I think!

Comment

Originally posted by Samakimoto Graphics
                          I've never used a mac either in my 13.7 years

wow...

Comment

yeah, the Mac OS is pretty much all straight forward as mentioned before... if your used to working on a PC then you should be able to get around on a Mac just fine.
                            the only disadvantage you may have is not knowing the features that aren't necessarily available in windows. to a mac os x user, these features come as second nature, and they can significantly change/seedup your workflow (i.e. everything is drag and drop, dashboard, expose, spotlight, smart folders, system-wide spellcheck, etc).

i would go check out the http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/ and look over some of the features... or take a look at the book Mac OS X for Dummies, surprisingly, its pretty good!

good luck with that job, it really does sound like a dream! country manor!?!
                            www.standercreative.com

Comment

This is the place!! I mean . . . .WOW!!
                              You also get a regular massage from their resident masseuse in the dedicated therapy room! Profit Share and Pension as well! At the mo I work in a big corrugated warehouse! I really want this one!!!

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X