Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• PanToshi
    Reply to Logo design for Game Developer
    PanToshi
    Are you seriously considering passing off a stolen logo graphic as "your design" to a forum of professional designers? Freakin' hilarious.

Copying someone else work is not what...
    Today, 03:45 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Hello all!
    KitchWitch
    Hi Edz and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything...
    Today, 03:34 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Colors for a map...
    KitchWitch
    Hi Gorgon and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
    Today, 03:33 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Logo design for Game Developer
    KitchWitch
    In addition to whats been said above, your company name and logo should not be created in the same process. People who do this tend to be too willing to change their company name to suit a cool logo design....
    Today, 03:31 PM
  • Laceycowgurl
    Reply to Print image quality
    Laceycowgurl
    Thanks guys! I had a very stern convo with the boss yesterday. Hopefully it will keep him a bay until the next project. He's just as cheap as he can get and refuses to pay for photography. He's lucky...
    Today, 03:19 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quark Xpress & Logos?

Hi, just wondering if someone can help me out.. I'm trying to layout a Poster in Quark which I'm not very familiar with... I've inserted a Picture Box for my main Poster Image and then I've been trying to insert EPS Logos over the top but the transparent areas appear white and I was just wondering if anyone knows why this is?

Should I just do the layout in Illustrator... I mean will it work the same way?

Thanks

Right Click the Picture box, select "Modify," click the "Clipping" tab.....have fun.

Comment

do you have runaround on or? (Command T and switch to none)

is the background of the box colored white? (I think it is by default)

vector eps or protoshop eps? if it is a photoshop .eps you may need to make a clipping path.
      Some advice is profound, some is clever. The above post is a good example of both.
      http://www.pedrospracticaljokes.blogspot.com/

Comment

If it's not a photoshop eps, you most likely have the box's background color set as white - set it to none.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Ive turned off the white in the box but the lettering in the logo still has white and when I do the clipping this its still got some white bits... a bit messy for print if you ask me so I must be doing something wrong!?

Comment

If you're more familiar with Illustrator, use Illy...better than Quark
            People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Comment

Quark is pretty crappy with clipping, I agree with the above post. Use Illustrator for things like this, its far superior to Quark in this regard.

Comment

Hi thanks guys... I always thought Quark was thee layout program for print... so I can basically use Illy as a layout program too and not just a Vector program!?.. e.g. I'll be able to create print ready files in Illy like posters and stuff?

Comment

Well...I would suggest inDesign to be honest, but since your just doing a poster Illustrator will do just fine.

FYI: the same clipping functionality in Illustrator is present in inDesign.

Comment

cool. I heard good stuff about InDesign... so then, anyone know of any good sites were I can get some CD Cover layout templates and stuff for Illustrator?

Thanks

Comment

Illustrator CS2 ships with CD cover, insert etc templates.

Help/Welcome Screen
                      Click "New from Template"
                      Select the "Band" Directory.

Comment

Illy is fine for single page layout, but when you get more than one page, you are probably better off using Quark or InDy
                        Light a man a fire and he will be warm for a short while. Light a man afire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Originally posted by Weecutz
                          Ive turned off the white in the box but the lettering in the logo still has white and when I do the clipping this its still got some white bits... a bit messy for print if you ask me so I must be doing something wrong!?
                          Is it a vector EPS? If so, don't go just by the preview, since Quark's EPS preview is really yucky. The proof is in the printout when it comes to Quark's image previews.

If you have InDesign, do it in that instead, otherwise, yeah, for a poster, Illy should be fine.
                          "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

Adobe exchange has some templates, once you get the hang of navigating thier amazingly annoying site. Also, I just googled "free templates" (Indesign, Illy, Quark, etc..) and got some pretty good free stuff.

Weecutz, are you using the magic wand or pen tool? Lots of times if you are using the magic wand, your results will not be so good, also, if you are simply using the clipping path check box native to quark and illustrator, it just won't give the results you desire, sometimes, even though it looks like a white background, there may be minute areas of color or other stuff that will not clip out without using the pen tool to create a precise clipping path. Try that. I work with amazingly crappy images of tiny parts and stuff and with the pen tool I get beautiful clean paths every time. ( I edit all my images in photoshop and clip them there, then save as tiffs and bring into quark or Indesign)
                            “The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level we created them.” Albert Einstein

Comment

^^^what she said.

Unless the EPS is vector, or done with a properly done clipping path out of Photoshop, the non-white areas clipping thing in Quark doesn't work well, if you want crisp clean edges.

And you might also need to (if the file is vector) turn it into a compound path, so the counters in the letters don't show as white.
                              "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X