Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• sketch28
    What is this type of design called?
    sketch28
    I really like this type of design and would like to try my hand at some of my own, but I would like to see more examples of it. Could anyone tell me what it's called?

Sorry...
    Today, 05:32 AM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Created Logo in PS, question about file
    KitchWitch
    Hi Chromez and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
    Today, 02:17 AM
  • Saint-Michel
    Reply to Legal size cardstock for business cards
    Saint-Michel
    Thank you for your answer PrintDriver. Seems like I was misinformed. I'll probably have to buy another printer that can print on thicker card stock then. Do you have any suggestions as to what printer...
    Yesterday, 11:30 PM
  • zablockit
    Reply to Please critique my new game design
    zablockit

Ok, skeuomorphic looks awesome!

What do you think now?

What would you improve?...
    Yesterday, 09:11 PM
  • lowfatgraphics
    Reply to Font Management
    lowfatgraphics
    Thanks.

I was testing the Font Suitcase and seems to be screwing with my Chrome bowsers...after some googling--looks like its a known issue. FEX it is then.

Thanks Garricks....
    Yesterday, 08:29 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark-Making

My teacher wants me to write down my interpretation 'mark-making'. In class we've been repeating patterns and varying them on pieces of paper, using various materials/media.

Can anybody shed any light on how such an activity would be defined? It seems a bit random as I've searched the internet and not found much...

Thanks.

I like making marks on things by holding a Sharpie between my toes and flailing wildly.

Seriously, sounds like the teacher wants you to think creatively about the different ways of making marks. Dragging a pen over a piece of paper makes a mark. Dragging a piece of paper over a pen makes a mark, too, providing you touch the pointy part of the pen to the paper...

brainstorm, go wild, and check out www.visualthesaurus.com
    "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

This may be the simplest answer, but why not ask the teacher for more clarification? That's what I would do.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

Spitting on said bit of paper also makes a mark. So does stabbing it with a knife.

Think outside the bit of paper...
        It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

Comment

It took NASA $12 billion over the course of a decade to come up with a pen that could write in zero gravity, upside down, underwater, on almost any surface and at temperatures ranging from below freezing to 300C!

The russians used a pencil.

ok, not really, but maybe that will help get your creative juices flowing
          "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

My friend named her kid Mark. You could try that.

No, seriously, I agree with Craig, ask your instructor for clarification. What kind of marks? are we talking simple lines or shapes or this related to logotypes/marks?
            “The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level we created them.” Albert Einstein

Comment

"Mark" is a term used back when the general population didn't know how to read or write. The creators of these visual marks let the common man understand things in a pictoral language. Some of these types of symbolisms can be seen on State Seals, and even older on Family or Estate Crests.

It's also where the term "put your mark here" for a signature or creating an iconic figure.

Might help you in doing some research on the history of "marks" and "mark-making", or symbolism.

There's still some turn of the century to mid 30's books of marks. Might try local library for that type of research.

=)
              Jade << is a history buff

Comment

I have no idea what you were told, but are you sure your teacher wasn't talking about making "logo marks"?

As Jade says, a mark can be an 'iconic figure' or 'symbol'. In Logo Design, a mark is a graphical symbol used to define the company, apart from any stylized text. The logo can then be shown as either the mark, or the mark and name together.
                Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
                mediamainline.com
                cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

Yes
                  Purity and simplicity... and ubuntu.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.
                  - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Yes, think outside the paper and pen.

- think dance/ rhythm/movement
                    - think sound/noise
                    - think nature's marks
                    ..and so on
                    Purity and simplicity... and ubuntu.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.
                    - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

I particularly like old European pub/business signs. Since the larger portion of the population was generally illiterate, the signage had to tell what the business did and was far more illustrative than the logomarks used today.

But I'm not saying today's logos should be as literal. Clipart of eyeglasses, beer steins, vacuum cleaners, etc. is pretty darn boring in comparison. LOL!

Comment

First year drawing class back in the day... 'Mark-making' meant any way to mark up the page. Any media, any substrate/ground. How do you hit the paper with a marky-thing? How do you want to hit the paper with a marky-thing? What do you think constitutes a mark-type thing on a paper-type thing? I think this doesn't require the use of google, and shouldn't be over-thunk. If it is art, then it is up to you. 'mark-making was one of those words that got tossed around a lot when we were just doing still-life garbage where there was very little room for indepth interpretation. To put it into context: "wow janice, very interesting mark making..." Um yeah, it's a pile of furniture in the middle of the studio... hehehe.

Comment

I make my mark by peeing on the ground.
                          Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
                          mediamainline.com
                          cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

While our feline friends rub their chins on things...
                            It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

Comment

I pee on them, too.
                              Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
                              mediamainline.com
                              cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X