X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convert colors to PMS

Okay, maybe i'm just having a stupid day, but the client has their logo with process colors called out. I need to find a close match to a pms color... what would be the best way to figure this out?
    My Site

If you have a swatch book, print a copy of the logo on your best printer and do some comparing. That's what I do, anyway...

blog/portfolio

Comment

I was thinking of that, but I don't know if that's a good option in this project. The logo is going to be sent to an outside shop to be done on cut acrylic. They will be painted at that place. They need a pms color selected. I have on my side a CMYK mixture. The problem is that with large format printing, those numbers don't always translate 100% to the printer. That's my fear.
      My Site

Comment

Unfortunately, there's no easy way to do this, but you could try this.

In Photoshop, type in your CMYK values in the picker, then click on color libraries. Photoshop will bring up a spot color number.

However, this is often not the closest match, so often what I do is then refer to a swatch book, go to the vicinity of the spot color number PS gave me, and see if I find anything that's closer than Photoshop's answer.
        "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

In a pinch, this is what I do:
          Open Photoshop, click on the color swatch at the bottom of the tool palette, plug in the process color formula, go to custom colors and see what spot color PSD comes up with.
          People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Comment

:d

Comment

OK, urst, aren't you in here a bit early today??? Hmmmm?
              (ancient prepress secret)
              People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Comment

wait, wait, they have a pantone color. and you need to find the cmyk match? or they have a cmyk build, and you need to find the Pantone match?

If you need to find the cmyk build for a pantone, you can always click the little cmyk icon below the ink level meter on the color selector.

Different printers have different builds for pantone colors. For instance, my printer uses 100c 60m 0y 10k to match Reflex Blue, instead of the standard build which is 100c 75m 0y 0k . Im sure there are matching systems online, but they arent that reliable, best thing is to talk to the printer. Good luck!
                "To be is to do" --Socrates.
                "To do is to be" --Jean-Paul Sartre.
                "Do be do be do" --Frank Sinatra

Comment

There is definitely an echo in here today!!

Comment

He needs the Pantone, it's already in CMYK.

Comment

I generally do it the other way, so this is making me feel really stupid. I know if I start with a pantone, I can find the process, no problem. I will try the photoshop trick. It doesn't have to be exact, but close at least.

Thanks everyone, i'll try it out.

It's my last "real" day in the prepress, and I have too much to do besides look at every color in my pms swatch guide.
                      My Site

Comment

Originally posted by carter the artist
                        It's my last "real" day in the prepress, and I have too much to do besides look at every color in my pms swatch guide.
                        Thems fightin words! Nobody escapes prepress!

Comment

That's it. I was being stupid and thinking you could do this in illy as well. I really wish Illy and Photoshop would stop competing and cooperate.
                          My Site

Comment

Don't worry Rick,
                            I'll be putting in 40+ hours a week at a Direct Mailer place doing "jr. graphic design/production artist" and then come to the shop and do prepress for a few hours a night and on the weekends, plus trying to do my freelance...

...boy is my girl going to hate me.
                            My Site

Comment

Originally posted by urstwile
                              He needs the Pantone, it's already in CMYK.

oops! sorry, I'll go back to my corner now
                              "To be is to do" --Socrates.
                              "To do is to be" --Jean-Paul Sartre.
                              "Do be do be do" --Frank Sinatra

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X