Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Anoul
    Reply to Novice illutrator, best way to learn?
    Anoul
    Hello sanguine
    If you want learn illustration , i will advise you 3 books.

First one is : How to draw by Scott Robertson , the best way to learn all fundamentals to draw in perspective
    Today, 12:17 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Latest Bloomberg Businessweek Cover
    KitchWitch
    Hi Graphicdesignko and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't...
    Today, 10:53 AM
  • skribe
    Reply to Latest Bloomberg Businessweek Cover
    skribe
    Wow. I would be hanging my head in shame if I created that, and it got published all over the world.
    Today, 06:23 AM
  • skribe
    Reply to Please Help
    skribe
    What you have there looks like it is embroidery possibly by hand....
    Today, 06:07 AM
  • skribe
    Reply to Logo design for Game Developer
    skribe
    @Printdriver Nice find. So I just had to do some digging to keep in practice. The original design was done by an individual named John Le aka Dragonkhn. Apparently the Backtrack group did use it originally...
    Today, 05:30 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copyright

Hi,

I found what I consider to be a really nice clean design which I want to use for some promotional material, perhaps modified in some way. The thing is, it's from some old packaging for some Pioneer headphones, probably from the Seventies (see the attached jpg)

For all I know, this could be a design classic... or it might be so generic that no-one is going to think twice about it. So my question is, given that I know where the design has come from, should I be worried about using this image?
    Attached Files

I think you should stay away from that one, even if you didn't know where the design has come from. The bottom line is that it doesn't belong to you. You seem to be more concerned with getting caught. Copyright laws aren't written so that you can try not to get caught, they are written so that people can have a legitimate right to the things that they create and have protections in the event that those rights are violated. By using this image, you are violating the rights of fellow artists. I don't think there is anything wrong with you creating an image of headphones in a circle that is inspired by this one. It seems to me that it would actually be worth the 15 minutes you take to create a new different one than to take the risks associated with copyright violation.
    You're no longer a child when a mud puddle is an obstacle rather than an opportunity!

Comment

Originally posted by cornfed
      I think you should stay away from that one, even if you didn't know where the design has come from. The bottom line is that it doesn't belong to you. You seem to be more concerned with getting caught. Copyright laws aren't written so that you can try not to get caught, they are written so that people can have a legitimate right to the things that they create and have protections in the event that those rights are violated. By using this image, you are violating the rights of fellow artists. I don't think there is anything wrong with you creating an image of headphones in a circle that is inspired by this one. It seems to me that it would actually be worth the 15 minutes you take to create a new different one than to take the risks associated with copyright violation.
      Sorry, that's not what I meant at all... I'm not a designer by profession and have relatively little experience & so don't know whether copyright is really an issue with this kind of thing. Some things are obviously very tied in with branding and are iconic, but this seems such a generic image that I wondered whether I really would be treading on someone's toes and violating their rights - something I certainly wouldn't want to do.

By the way, it'd probably take me 15 hours!

Comment

You can see by the above image of just how different something like headphones can be represented iconically.

Even though you may feel that first post is generic and public domain, there are clearly several different ways to create and icon for headphones. If you're not a designer by profession, do you know of anyone that could simply take a shot at their own method of interpreting what an icon of headphones should be?

Copyright is always something to take seriously. It's sort of like speeding. You might not get caught, but you might, and are you willing to risk the fine? ( and unlike speeding the fine can be considerable.)

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
        Working...
        X