Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• vaprarts
    Reply to Down selling to clients
    vaprarts
    Now i have no real experience working with clients but in my opinion you did what most designers should do. You are being hired as a designer not an artist. Its our job to create work that makes sense....
    Today, 02:58 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Zoo Business Card Critique Wanted
    Buda
    I really like the aesthetic.

Will you do more in the series? You could have a different design for different departments.
    Today, 02:44 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Sweden's official national typeface
    Buda
    Cool idea but I'm not convinced that font will work in every situation. Can they remove Comic Sans from all government computers? That would be a nice start.

My mum works for a government...
    Today, 02:43 AM
  • it52
    Reply to Infographics...struggle
    it52
    I do find them a bit boring. I think the layout and graphics themselves are too simple. I think you can definitely try adding some more detail to the graphics and experiment a bit more with your layo...
    Today, 01:19 AM
  • <b>
    Reply to Down selling to clients
    <b>
    I always try to recommend what I think will work best for the client -- even when it means a lower fee for me. It sort of boils down to a matter of being professional and honest, which as far as I'm concerned,...
    Today, 12:40 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vectorising in Illustrator

Hey guys... just wondering if anyone can tell me in simple terms how do I do the following...

I have a JPG & TIFF version of a snowflake I done out in Photoshop last year, but I'd like to vectorise it and was just wondering do I need to sit and trace around it in Illy or is there an way to automatically trace the image and then all I need to do is tweak at it???

Any help would be great.

What version of Illy do you have?

If you have CS2 you can use the Live Trace feature. Place your image in Illy and then go to:

Object>Live Trace

That will save you doing it by hand provided the image is of good quality. If it is low res it might not come out as expected and you may have to use the pen tool.
    Last edited by SharkFinStudios; 09-22-2006, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Your best bet is to trace it.
      In this post there are 47 people, none of them can be seen.

Comment

Use the pen tool in Illustrator. If you don't know how to use the pen tool yet, consider this a great opportunity to learn.

Comment

I have Illustrator CS and then it say 11.0.. I don't see a Live Trace option...

Comment

Pen tool...
            Let me see you make decisions without your televisions.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

In CS you'll have to use the pen tool.

Comment

ok, so looks like I have to trace it by hand, lol.. what a nightmare its a pretty awkard design...

can someone tell me... I have a file which was given to me, and its supposed to be green streaks, but the colour has little white dots in it which are not supposed to be there in the final image but they stay there when exported or saved as an eps...

Sorry people. just new to Illy so I'm not familiar with it and I am tryin.

Comment

there is a thing in PhotoShop that says "Export" and then "paths to illustrator"... maybe this could do it or am I totally on the wrong subject?

Comment

Originally posted by Weecutz
                    there is a thing in PhotoShop that says "Export" and then "paths to illustrator"... maybe this could do it or am I totally on the wrong subject?
                    Wrong subject. That is dealing with a clipping path. You will have to trace your image, no way around it with CS.

Comment

The macromedia vectorizing feature is excelent. And you also can use Adobe Streamline. It's old but it works.

Comment

Depending on the image, sometimes the pen tool is the best thing even if you can use LiveTrace. I've delt with so many icons that are just too blurry to even try LiveTrace. I think we're always looking for short cuts, especially when we look at an image and think "I have to trace all of that!?". The best thing to do is trace it. Besides, you feel good when your vector art is finished. It feels even better when you're done and you scale it big and small. Designers like to show off vector work and bask in the glory.
                        Broke or just cheap? Read my list of free open source alternatives to Adobe Creative Suite software.

Comment

Livetrace is a great tool, but I wouldn't expect it to do all my work for me! When I livetrace, I always check over and tweak the points and toggles.
                          It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Hey, is there anyone here who could maybe try the Live Trace thing for me at all?... I have a Black & White file and it will literally take forever for me to trace it with the Pen tool...?

thanks for all your advice!

Comment

you should give a link to the file in your post then

any one know any good tutorials on the live trace, i have tried to use it a few times but crappy results maybe the image was too fuzzy
                              When I awoke today, suddenly nothing happened
                              But in my dreams, I slew the dragon

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X