Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• RCdublin
    Design Student Introduction
    RCdublin
    Hello everyone. I'm a design student in Dublin Ireland and I've just discovered the forum.

Looking forward to meet everyone and share ideas and tips.

There's a little...
    Today, 09:41 PM
  • misplacedVTer
    Reply to Graphic Design tutorials
    misplacedVTer
    Lynda is good for learning how to use design programs, not how to go about designing things....
    Today, 09:36 PM
  • misplacedVTer
    Comment on Anyone else only have a diploma┬┐?
    misplacedVTer
    @StudioMonkey
    The problem is that most places get SO many applications for a job posting that automatically weeding out the people without a degree becomes a way to pare the number down to something...
    Today, 09:31 PM
  • Cosmo
    Reply to RIP: The Necrology Thread
    Cosmo
    The name may not mean much to a lot of you, but just found out Steve Hed - one of the pioneers in bicycle wheel design - passed away today. I ride a set of his wheels on my race bike.

ht...
    Today, 08:56 PM
  • justproud2b
    General Branding (Re-branding)
    justproud2b
    Hello All,

I ended up finding this website in a search for information help to my issue. I need people for a sounding board. I'm trying to rebrand myself and I am struggling with a direction...
    Today, 08:31 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help opening Freehand 3.0 file with Freehand MX

I have been using Freehand 3.0 for the past decade on my Power Mac 7200/90 with Mac OS 8.1 (yes, back in the dinosaur age) and have recently bought an ibook G4 (Max OS X 10.4.3) with Freehand MX 11.0.1. I transfered all my old Freehand 3.0 files to my new ibook. But now I cannot open any of the Freehand 3.0 files using Freehand MX or Illustrator. I tried asking the Apple dealer but they can't figure it out either, except telling me that it's a system compatibility problem, not Freehand. One big mistake I made is that I already gave away my Power Mac and all the files are gone. Help!

Try placing one of your old Freehand files in InDesign or Quark and export the file as a eps or maybe a pdf and try to open it in freehand or illy.
    Last edited by jimking; 09-23-2006, 03:18 PM.
    WYSIWYG

Comment

Also try to open and use the illustrator feature "All Readable Documents"
      WYSIWYG

Comment

Tried placing old Freehand files in Quark (I don't have InDesign). Can't place!

Also tried opening and using Illustrator feature "All Readable Documents", and I get "the file is an unknown format and cannot be opened".

Any other suggestions? The weirdest thing is that I used to be able to read the old Freehand 3.0 using Freehand MX. But all of a sudden, not anymore!

Comment

MX used to open them, now they don't and the only difference is MX is on a ibook now? When you were able to open these files in MX where was MX residing, on your ibook or the old computer? I have Freehand 9 on my G4. If you like, pm a file and I'll see if I can open it and resave it to my version.
          WYSIWYG

Comment

You have to make sure and have a Freehand extension on the filename. FH3 for freehand 3. If that doesn't work, try FHT for Freehand template.
            People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Comment

Good point Rick. aiwen, how were these files originally saved. Were they exported or saved as eps or template etc. I made several versions of FH files, saved as and exported with extention names and without. All my files opened.
              WYSIWYG

Comment

The dealer where I bought the ibook G4 helped me transfer all (hundreds) of my old Freehand 3.0 files from my old Power Mac 7200 into my new ibook G4, and also installing Freehand MX onto my new ibook. We checked to make sure the old files can be read on the new ibook before letting go my old Power Mac 7200. This was a few months ago.

Just recently when I tried to open the old Freehand 3.0 files, they cannot be opened. Strange! I went back to the dealer and they said that I might have accidently updated my system (whatever that means).

I'm able to open Freehand 5 files using MX. But most of my files are Freehand 3. I'm new to this site and I don't know how to sent you a file? Thank you for all your help!

Comment

Tried adding extension on the filename, FH3 and FHT. Still won't open. But thanks! Like I said, I used to be able to open them like it is, but not anymore.

Comment

To send me a file just click my name in this thread and a drop menu will appear. Click on the email--that simple. And I bet they did update your computer. Do you have OS9 on your computer? Sounds like you do. Break out the books on your computer and readup on rebooting in OS9 or have OS9 boot up with OSX when turning your computer on. Then try opening your files.
                    WYSIWYG

Comment

I checked and I don't have OS9 on my computer. Will I be able to open the old Freehand3 files if I install OS9?

Comment

I don't know if this will help, but have you tried repairing permissions? If you've updated the system software, it could be that something went amiss. Fixing permissions often helps this.

Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility.app.

Are you having the problem when you double click on the files? Have you tried opening the files from within the application (as in File>Open)?
                        "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

I tried repairing permissions. Didn't work. I already tried opening the files within the applications before posting my problem In fact, I tried opening under Illustrator, Freehand, Quark, Photoshop.......

When I double click on the files, it automatically opens Illustrator and "The file is in an unknown format and cannot be opened" appears.

But when I used to be able to open them, they are opened by Freehand MX, not Illustrator. Now, Freehand MX won't even let me click on the old Freehand3 files.

Comment

Wow, that's just plain weird, then, don't know what's happening. Hopefully Jimking has better luck. PM me, I can try as well, as I have close to the same operating system as you, and no OS 9. I have Freehand MX 2004.
                            "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                            Working...
                            X