• ISitude
    Reply to What is this product ? please
    ISitude
    Whipped cream.
    Today, 03:17 AM
  • LumLum1013
    Feedback for my personal logo
    LumLum1013
    I'm in the process of a major personal portfolio overhaul, going back to the basics and revisiting my logo and identity.

Most of my graphic design work is on the corporate side, so definitely
    Today, 02:59 AM
  • mikeengland
    Reply to Have you met ...me
    mikeengland
    I haven't interned, but I have done a nice chunk of freelancing. Also while viewing other users I checked out the rules. I have applied at a few places, but so far I have had only one interview. It went...
    Today, 01:35 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Have you met ...me
    Buda
    Hi Mike and welcome to GDF.

We ask every new member to read the threads posted HERE, particularly this thread to get acquainted with how things work on GDF. They will explain how the...
    Today, 01:23 AM
  • mikeengland
    Have you met ...me
    mikeengland
    Hello my name is Mike, my username gives it away. However I joined this forum for a few reasons including art crititques, expanding my learning, and improve myself as a professional. I am from Dayton,...
    Today, 01:10 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car wraps

Hello,

I know this might be a bit of a long shot as it's not a terribly common type of project to work on, but I'm currently involved in a car wrap design project and wondered if any of you have previous experience in creating art for print in this medium.

Have you come across any issues that I would be best off knowing about before embarking on my design efforts? I know that the wrap itself is able to be stretched slightly to accomodate the form of the vehicle and I know to avoid text over contours, but have you got any advice for example on getting smooth curves to continue across the different elevations (side to hood etc). Plus I guess any links to designs for car wraps that you have come across that peaked your interest as most of the ones I've seen tend to look a bit tacky and busy, maybe this is just the genre style?

Here's hoping I've not posted this in completely the wrong area of the forum.

Frank
    at best my spelling *and grammar* is crap and at worst it are be carp

If anyone knows I would guess Ynot.
    With your title heading I am sure he will post....like a moth to a flame. (kidding YnoT)
    "You're just jealous because YOUR hat doesn't have a clock in it!"

Comment

this thread should help you out a bit....

http://www.graphicdesignforum.com/fo...ight=templates

As for designing the wrap, I would highly suggest buying the template for the vehicle.

Here is how I used to do it when I did wraps.

Open the template in illustrator, we were using a template a 1/10 scale. I would select the entire graphic, and scale it 166%, this would now give me 1/12 scale, which is an inch to a foot. Next copy the entire graphic, open a new doc in Photoshop at 1200dpi and paste your graphic. Now you have workable panels in photoshop to do your designs. After designing your panels, simply copy them into a new document and add your bleed, it varies from vehicle to vehicle. But anywhere from 4-8" should do the trick. Flatten and print, and leave the rest for the installers.

Getting the images to contour from the sides to the hood, is pretty tricky, I always try to avoid designing anything that would stick me into that guideline. It can be done, but you will need to give boatloads of bleed, and the installers have to be on there game. Good luck!
      ‘Our great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is privately controlled. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated governments in the civilized world. No government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and duress of small groups of men.’ - Woodrow Wilson

Comment

Judging from what people have said I think I've been quite lucky with the organisational set up. The templates for the various cars are being supplied by the printer and the printer has a preferred installer that they work with, so I know the job will be done well. Thanks for the heads up on the bleed issues. I'll definately let you know how it all goes. I'll be contacting the installer directly next to see what they have to say now that you guys have given me a grounding.

Comment

I've done a few vehicle wraps. The biggest thing is talk to the printers and ask them of some of the difficulties they've faced.

I can tell you make sure you have around 6 inches extended on all sides, especially since those templates are not 100% accurate. The material it's printed on is important. We use 3M control tac and it's recommended lamination. The control tac is of a comply nature, so it'll stretch and whatnot when it deals with the curves. The printer will more than likely put a tiling to the image, so you can probably try to think of that too.
          My Site

Comment

Yep, that's what's being used here too, 3M control tac.There's a perforated material used instead for covering the back windows though and the colors are not as brilliant, so I guess I'll have to bear that in mind. My printer seems to think there might be other options out there for the window covering and is off to Vegas to sus it out as it's a rapidly growing section of his business.

Comment

yeah, sgia is this weekend, my boss is going. the window film is horrible...HORRIBLE. Its extremely hard to make anything pop off of those because of the holes, but hopefully there are some other options out on the market now.
              ‘Our great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is privately controlled. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated governments in the civilized world. No government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and duress of small groups of men.’ - Woodrow Wilson

Comment

Yeah, i forgot about the perf.
                My Site

Comment

Good luck finding an alternative to perf. That's legal. They've stopped its use on bus and subway windows in some cities.

Comment

They have banned it here too. A while back I tried to organise photo exhibition on the back wind shileds of the local public transport buses and got a no no from the city. Never tried the perforated kind though...

Thanks for the info D-Frag.
                    Purity and simplicity... and ubuntu.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.
                    - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

PD, they've outlawed perf in some places?
                      My Site

Comment

DFrag, your 100% spot on.

Comment

This thread is 4 years old ..... closing the Crypt

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                          Working...
                          X