Design Consultants?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Design Consultants?

Hey everybody, I've always been curious of the roles of a design consultant? What intrigue me is how they work and think and even quote clients...
    I mean how does one claim themselves as a design consultant? Can a graphic designer with extensive knowledge on the market trends, target audience, etc allows them to be a design consultant? How do they charge? How do they get labeled as one?

Just wish to intiate an interesting conversation as in my country we have not many design consultants. Cheerios

It really depends on what is being designed.

I'd be really careful about using the term 'consultant' as it implies a certain, very high level of expertise in the industry.

And usually it is very very specialized. Just because you may know about business printing doesn't mean your knowledge would carry over into the exhibit industry (generally it doesn't).

A Graphic Design Consultant? Hmmm.... Unless you have a hefty marketing analysis group to back you up, I'd avoid it all together. Your price would be based on how right you are and how much market share you can garner for your client.

I've worked with consulting firms for the design industry but only in the exhibit-related areas so I can't help you out much with 'normal' graphic design. We actually do consults here quite often too, suggesting methods or alternate methods to meet an end result. Fees are usually based on project complexity.

Payment should always be involved for ideas. You have to be very careful not to confuse consulting with spec work. Don't offer ideas in hopes of landing a project.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Splatt
      Advice on if a design would work in the US?
      Splatt
      Hi All,
      New to the forum, I came across it while looking for somewhere I could get advice without any of my ideas being stolen!
      Anyway, I have a T-shirt design that I'm selling in the UK,...
      Today, 09:02 AM
    • TomTom55
      Vintage Typography
      TomTom55
      I worked on this project in my free time, my first real stab at some digital vintage typography design. Any feedback on the design itself?
      Cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e...
      Today, 04:46 AM
    • gurkamaltutu
      Comment on Color separation
      gurkamaltutu
      Thank you so much! And you were right, I actually didn't understand the question properly.
      Today, 12:44 AM
    • swhit101
      Portfolio or First/Second Year Students?
      swhit101
      Hey, I'm an upcoming second year communications design student, and relatively new to design. I took a design foundation program my first year at school, as well as an intro comm design class. I would...
      Yesterday, 11:15 PM
    • PrintDriver
      Reply to Ad Specs Question
      PrintDriver
      Most places would want you to have the bleed not on the artboard so when the ad is placed, only the ad shows, not all the bleed. If you have the bleed on the artboard, you risk having your art offset...
      Yesterday, 04:18 PM

20% off sale at iStock until June 24, 2016
    GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
    Working...
    X