X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A fork in the road...

Can you help send me in the right direction?

So, Im graduating from school in December with my Associate's in GD. I have a pretty good portfolio and I have experience working in a printing company and now I work in house as a marketing manager in Milwaukee, WI. Lately, I have been looking into programs to get my Bachelor's in advertising. Do you think this is necessary, or could I work my way to the top with my Associate? Ive been looking so forward to being done with school and getting on with my career, can I take another 3 years of school?? I just want to be done... even though Im only 20

So, if I do go for my bachelors, Im looking at the art institute in Chicago, or the art institute online. Has anyone done AIO before? It seems pretty intense, Im leaning more toward this one because I have a good job going here in Milwaukee and I work 8-5 everyday... hard to go to school. However, the AIO will cost me close to $90,000 and starting salaries for advertisers begin around 35-40K. Is it worth it? Besides that, Id have to move to Chicago or something for a better advertising career market.

What if, when I graduate in December, I take a semester off to decide if I want to go to school again in fall or not. Or will I love not having the responsibility of school so much that I wont go back just for that reason? I'm so confused, anyone been in this situation ot have any words of wisdom?? Thanks everyone I appreciate it, this has all been on my mind a lot lately.
    www.jackiecreative.com

People who live in glass houses sink ships.

To be honest, when I finished school I found myself actually missing it. I'm not sure if it was just the environment I missed or the education (and safety). But I truly doubt additional education is required to advance in the field (probably wouldn't hurt though).

In other words, I have no definative answer for you one way or the other.
    In this post there are 47 people, none of them can be seen.

Comment

You Should check with your company Jacki I know alot of companies here will pay for schooling if it has anything to do with your current job. I know the company my wife works for sent her to school awhile back and as long as she maintained a passing grade they paid for the whole thing.
      How about a chain pickerel in your bath tub?

Comment

lol mac...

naw, they arent interested in me persuing advertising. they wouldnt pay and I dont think theyd be happy if I couldnt work 8-5 everyday
        www.jackiecreative.com

Comment

personally, I miss school too(been out 3+yrs) and am looking into going back to take some web designing classes.. my degree is a Bachelor of Science in Graphic Arts and Imaging Technology.. $90,000 sure sounds like alot to just step up from an Associates to a Bachelors and Im not sure it would guarantee a return through higher wages. I would say if you have a good job, keep working. Build your portfolio into a stronger piece of perfection... the degree usually ONLY gets your foot in the door anyway.. your work then prooves you and gets the job for you.. then all you have is the job, you still have to shine to be a star. but that's just my take on it and the extra degree may be beneficial to you in a more emotional "I did it, Im worth it" kinda way... ya know?.. ultimately you'll have to find the direction that is right for jacki, and only Jacki will know what's right..
          Hip Hop just died this morning.

Comment

the thing is, people always say they miss school because you're not in the "real world" blah blah blah. well Im already doing both, and I have been since I was 15. I cant imagine not working. I wokr and go to school so I dont know if Id miss it the double stress. But I do still enjoy learning... hmm.
            www.jackiecreative.com

Comment

WOW. Going from AS to BA costing $90,000!?

Man, for me it was $40,000 for two years at a private college to go from my AS to BA, and I was on campus for a year. Do they let anything transfer in? For the AI, I'd imagine not. I'm assuming this is an extra four years, yes?

Comment

should take me like 3, and it might be less than 90,000 because my gen eds will transfer but they said itll be hard to transfer any design courses
                www.jackiecreative.com

Comment

Well, personally, if I was in your shoes, I would say no. I like design, I hate the advertising/marketing etc side, lol. That, and $90,000 is a lot of money to pay off in loans...how much aid would you be able to get. If you can get the aid, I'd say go for it, but unfortunately for me loans was my only option (I was a mediocre high school student so I didn't get any grants...though I was a *** laude college student...go figure) especially when you've got something going so far.

Again, this is just me.

Comment

thats the way im leaning reuber, youre right, thats so much money. I just dont want to have any regrets in the future.
                    www.jackiecreative.com

Comment

lol, I can't say *** laude.

Comment

Originally posted by reuber1
                        lol, I can't say *** laude.
                        Check out this article on spam filters and resumes

Dylan Hunter, 34, of Northborough, Mass., notes on his resume that he received a master's degree in business administration from Babson College, in Wellesley, Mass., in 1999 and graduated magna *** laude. About three weeks ago, he sent his resume to a consumer packaged-goods company and received an automated e-mail response that said his resume had been deleted because it contained a specific obscenity, which the response detailed. Mr. Hunter changed "magna *** laude" to "with high honors," resubmitted the resume and received an automated reply thanking him for his interest in the company. "The unique thing was that it actually told you what word it was bothered by," Mr. Hunter says. "I have no idea how many times my resume has gone straight to the circular file."
                        Some advice is profound, some is clever. The above post is a good example of both.
                        http://www.pedrospracticaljokes.blogspot.com/

Comment

matc jacki?
                          Some advice is profound, some is clever. The above post is a good example of both.
                          http://www.pedrospracticaljokes.blogspot.com/

Comment

yea
                            www.jackiecreative.com

Comment

I went to a state school in Minnesota for my bach and it was 2k a semester for tuition. so it only cost me 16k for my bachelors. Do I think it is that much worse than everyone elses? No, because it's like anything else. The more you put in the more you get out.
                              Less be more.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X