Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dollar sign size for ad...HELP!

I need some quick advice...

I am having to design 8 large format banner ads (8' h x 4' w) for a furniture store. They want the starting prices to be the main focal point of the ad (typical). My question is this... Should I make the "$" as large as the numbers or significantly smaller? If I make it smaller, should it be even with the top of the numbers or offset slightly higher? It's Monday so my damn brain is not wanting to work properly today.

Thanks in advance.

-Ex
    Let me see you make decisions without your televisions.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

I think it's going to be an optical decision, there's no rule for this.

But for the size you're going for, I'd reduce the $, and then align it with the top of the numbers.

You'll have to judge if you like the way that looks.
    "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

It's hard with this size because it is so pancaking narrow.

What about the cents? I'll prolly make them smaller as well but should I align them from the top or bottom? I'm tired of looking at these things. Again, thanks.

Comment

Are you talking about the cents after the decimal point, or using the cent sign?

Comment

sorry, shoulda made more clear... after the decimal.

Comment

Well, this is what I'm gonna do. For confidentiality purposes I cannot show the actual design. (I could get fired) So, here is how I am setting the prices up...
            Attached Files

Comment

Looks good to me! If it works!

ERiC's DESiGN HOUSE - (check me out)
              http://ericdesignhouse.blogspot.com/

Design is a plan for arranging elements in such a way as best to accomplish a particular purpose.
              -Charles Eames

Comment

Silly question (and off topic) but do people really buy something for $499.99 but not if it's $500?

Comment

No, it's to appeal to their sense of frugalnes...

Good placement of the $ sign. I would do it like that myself.
                  It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

yes the dollar and cents i might reccomend with a Superior and aligned top.

As for the $500. it makes the furniture less than $500!! sure add in tax and you go over but that is why some places do it. Others simply put the whole dollar amounts and it is a bit easier and nobody would really mind but that's it.
                    Dribbble Page
                    Behance Portfolio
                    Linkedin Profile

Comment

I think the dollar sign should be smaller than the price, simply because its easier to read. Sometimes the dollar sign looks like a 5 or S and becomes confusing from a distance. I also like how the change is much smaller.

Also, people do typically buy items marked as 499.99 compared to 500. The reason they found is that people make decisions usually from the first number of a price. We look at a $25 item as "within the $20 range." Its our subconcious mind grouping numbers. While most of us know that its only a penny, we low-ball it in our mind.
                      Broke or just cheap? Read my list of free open source alternatives to Adobe Creative Suite software.

Comment

Exodus, what you've got going on works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver
                          Silly question (and off topic) but do people really buy something for $499.99 but not if it's $500?
                          Ha years ago when we had s d (pre decimalisation C 1971) we also had guineas.
                          Posh shops would sell some things for say 20 guineas which meant clients would be paying 20 and 20 shillings (a guinea was 21 shillings a was 20 shillings)
                          Therefore the item would be 21 but it was worth it for the snob value. (allegedly)

p.s another thought for some reason horses were/are bought and sold in guineas and I think there is a race called the guinea stakes or something similiar

Comment

yes also all the prize money is in guineas too
                            When I awoke today, suddenly nothing happened
                            But in my dreams, I slew the dragon

Comment

I didn't know the prize money is still in Guineas wierd or what. somehow though I have a certain nostalgia for the old money. My favourite coin was the half crown <remembers taking 2 = five bob to school every week for dinner money in a tiny elastoplast tin> 2 shillings and 6 pennies, half a dollar, now sadly now 22.5p doesn't quite have the same ring to it <sighs>

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X