Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• PrintDriver
    Reply to How to do this?
    PrintDriver
    I'd think you'd want to be careful that it doesn't look obviously fake, like the first photo.
    The second one is strangely shadowless and floaty.
    The third one is ok, the objects are actually...
    Today, 12:55 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Candy Shop Logo
    Buda
    It's a good start. I like the middle one how it has highlights in the text, but I think the drop shapes are way too big. Have you considered working with candy stripes?
    Today, 12:23 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to How to do this?
    Buda
    Yes.

There are many ways to skin a cat.

Personally, I would do this in Photoshop so that I had more control of the final colour. Photographing colours can result in differences...
    Today, 12:22 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Hello from Nordic
    Buda
    Hi Mikko and welcome to GDF.

We ask every new member to read the threads posted HERE, particularly this thread to get acquainted with how things work on GDF. They will explain how the...
    Today, 12:20 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Zazzle, CafePress, Etsy, OH MY!
    Buda
    I've never used Zazzle or CafePress, but I've bought a few things on Etsy.

If your CafePress store is doing well, why not sell your Zazzle items on CafePress and see how you go? It might...
    Today, 12:17 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really need HELP!

Hello all,

I'm a starting graphic designer. I was wondering if someone can help
    me with a question. When I am done with a clients job, and they ask
    for the file to be editable for future use ; what file type should I save it as?
    (for example: if they don't have photoshop or similar program)

Thanks again for any help!

enigmario

Originally posted by Enigmario
    Than what are they going to be editing it with? We need more info.
    Let me see you make decisions without your televisions.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

what format is the file in to start with, what do they have and how much editing are they wanting to do?

Comment

OK...I will be the first to say it....if they don't have the software you designed the logo in...then they will be able to do little or no revisions of it....but I am a bit unclear of what you mean by editable.

ERiC's DESiGN HOUSE - (check me out)
        http://ericdesignhouse.blogspot.com/

Design is a plan for arranging elements in such a way as best to accomplish a particular purpose.
        -Charles Eames

Comment

Give it to them in the lowest version of the program you creaeted it in. For example, if you made an illustrator doc, save it as illustrator version 9, unless filters/plug-ins used won't allow.

More often than not, they will not be doing any editing, they will send it to another designer who will change it, and to ensure usability, you save as earlier version of the program. Not everyone can afford, or needs to upgrade to the latest version of software when it is released.

But be kind to future users...label and organize your layers. Save links, list fonts used and include an outlined text version, and a PDF for the owner to view/ use.

Good luck!
          ~Adam

Comment

Did they pay you for an editable file? Tell them that you will be available for future edits and you have a steady client. Unless they paid for the editable files then changing it should still entitle you to be paid for your work. . .

I had a client once that took my editable files and had it printed for himself. I picked a PMS color blindly cause we never sat down and picked an actual swatch. He didn't get the green he wanted and blamed me. Really it was his for being so tight wadish that he wanted me out of the equation. . . Maybe try to explain nicely how you are the professional and he should rely on your expertise for future works.
            I don't make mistakes. I thought I did once but I was wrong.

www.deepanchorgraphics.com

Comment

Expand your services....I like that answer better than mine!

Design is a plan for arranging elements in such a way as best to accomplish a particular purpose.
              -Charles Eames

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson
                Did they pay you for an editable file? Tell them that you will be available for future edits and you have a steady client. Unless they paid for the editable files then changing it should still entitle you to be paid for your work. . .

I had a client once that took my editable files and had it printed for himself. I picked a PMS color blindly cause we never sat down and picked an actual swatch. He didn't get the green he wanted and blamed me. Really it was his for being so tight wadish that he wanted me out of the equation. . . Maybe try to explain nicely how you are the professional and he should rely on your expertise for future works.
                That sucks!

Yes use illustrator if you can, but if you've used Photoshop, I guess you give them your raw photoshop file.
                It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Originally posted by Enigmario
                  and they ask for the file to be editable for future use ; what file type should I save it as?
                  Have they paid you for the work yet? If not I would NOT give them the working file until they do so. I have known people to get burned very quickly in cases like this. Do you have a contract about the work you are supposed to provide?

Comment

Here is a past discussion at GDF on the topic of giving client editable files.

Basically, you own the files, your client is paying for a one time usage of your work. Re-use of files is subject to a higher charge. Customarily 3 to 4 times the 1 time usage rate.
                    Viki Anderson Graphics & Design on Demand
                    Through the Looking Glass

Comment

Thank You All

I want to thank EVERY1 for their reply's. I have a little more knowledge
                      now towards my rights and the clients rights. I originally was doing the job
                      in Photoshop CS2, and it involved alot of layers. The client is paying me, but we specified that the payment would ONLY be for Jpeg & PDF format files.

I didn't know a designer could charge up to 3 or 4 times for ORIGINAL layered material. As of now, I will continue the process plan of providing Jpeg & PDF files; and offer my future services for revisions or updates.

It is a relief to know that a contract might save plenty headaches.
                      Good luck to all, thanks again.

Mario

Comment

i will drink to that!

-Charles Eames

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                        Working...
                        X