Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• B
    Reply to Portfolio advice/criticism
    B
    I'm mostly just curious, but you're apparently from Korea, yet your work is primarily in English. Is that common?

As for your work, I like it. The warm, dark reds, browns and amber hues have...
    Today, 06:52 AM
  • Gwishin
    Portfolio advice/criticism
    Gwishin
    Hey guys!

This is my first post here, and I was hoping to get some feedback and advice/crticism about my "work". Im very curious about what you guys think, specially the ones of...
    Today, 04:47 AM
  • crdunsto
    Freelance Work/Volunteer Experience on Resume/Applications
    crdunsto
    I'm applying to several colleges over the break (SVA, MICA, Memphis, MCAD, SCAD, FIT, Parsons), and need advice on how to reference my freelance work from late 2012 up to now.

Name of Organization...
    Today, 03:52 AM
  • FredBouffard
    Reply to Law Firm Website Redesign
    FredBouffard
    Your website will always reflect the kind of business you offer so it is just in time that you update your client's website. I like the large header, but the text on the upper portion of it looks dated....
    Today, 01:29 AM
  • FredBouffard
    Reply to LOGO icon opinion
    FredBouffard
    Looks like a bull right but it needs a little bit of polishing and enhancements. Bulls have basically long, curved very pointed horns so you can work on that. And maybe fiercer eyes....
    Today, 01:23 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caslon typeface is it still used today?

My main question is Caslon still being used today in magazines, or ads, or commercials. If so where could i find these ads or commercials that are used today. I want to compare the way it was used back in the day but can't put my finger on any recent or a few years back designs which were using caslon.

Caslon is a nice face. If it looks good for what you're doing, use it. I don't think type faces have expiration dates.
    People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by rickself
      I don't think type faces have expiration dates.
      Some advice is profound, some is clever. The above post is a good example of both.
      http://www.pedrospracticaljokes.blogspot.com/

Comment

actually, im pretty sure whoever invented Comic Sans burst into flames immediately
        ‘Our great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is privately controlled. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated governments in the civilized world. No government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and duress of small groups of men.’ - Woodrow Wilson

Comment

Some typefaces do date. The good ones don't though.
          It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

Comment

thanks for the responses everyone im still learning how to identify typace faces and such but from research i found that the new yorker magazine and the architectural digest.com seem to use caslon but i could be wrong. can anyone confirm?
            Last edited by myswaggaishumble; 09-27-2006, 12:48 AM.

Comment

comic sans is like milk that has past it's experation date, but for some reason it's still in the fridge and everyone drinks it because they have no concept of style. haha. why PEOPLE!?!? WHY!?!?!

Comment

I can't say what recent work has used it, but I'd venture to say that if Adobe went so far as to release it as an OpenType version, that there's still a demand for it.
                "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

thanks urtwile and the others its tricky identifing what recent works its used but i will be into account that adobe is using it in an open type version. i didnt realize that thanks

Comment

If you post some samples here or links to them, some gurus here might be able to tell you if it's Caslon or not.
                    It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Architectural Digest isn't using it (at least on their website). I didn't check further to see what it might be. Neither is the New Yorker, although I only looked at the online version, don't know if they might be using it somewhere else within the print version.
                      "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

ok thanks a lot i had thought it was a itc caslon regular but i guess i was wrong lol i got a lot of learning to do
                        Last edited by myswaggaishumble; 09-27-2006, 01:45 AM.

Comment

Caslon is like blue jeans, it will never go out of style. It is a classic & elegant typeface that has stood the test of time and been around for over 200 years. Caslon was even used on the declaration of independence.
                          Some advice is profound, some is clever. The above post is a good example of both.
                          http://www.pedrospracticaljokes.blogspot.com/

Comment

yeah i understand that its a typeface thats been around for many years and has been used on the declaration of independence and even the united states constitution and that many designers use/used this face but what forms of advertisment has it been on recently. any major ad commercials/ any print media magazines thats my biggest dilema.

Comment

Sorry, but that's a hard question.
                              You want us (somebody) to look thru magazines to see who uses Caslon? It might be easier to ask which publications use 70# gloss text.

There are thousands of fonts, many LOOK like Caslon. It's just not practical. That sounds like time involved research.

To answer the question, yes it is still used today.
                              People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X