Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• KitchWitch
    Reply to Are you interested in selling your company?
    KitchWitch
    Hi 858 and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything...
    Today, 04:28 AM
  • thebombman53
    Reply to Portfolio Site Design
    thebombman53
    I know of those sites - I actually have profiles on them. The point of building it myself is to give me practice with web design. Again, why I'm here asking for criticism. If you have any feedback, it...
    Today, 01:02 AM
  • Buster_
    Reply to Portfolio Site Design
    Buster_
    I can appreciate that you're trying to build your site from scratch, but why not use a portfolio hosting site that offers free templates until you're more comfortable with web design? There are plenty...
    Today, 12:05 AM
  • salsa
    Reply to Getting started...
    salsa
    If you're not sure you're making enough, figure out you income per hour and take into account all your expenses and overhead and blah blah blah. It takes some time to put together the spreadheets, or...
    Today, 12:02 AM
  • salsa
    Comment on Crit on my first business card? No client, experimental.
    salsa
    em: —
    en: –
    hypehn: -
    Yesterday, 11:53 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got an interview!

for a graphic artist position. IM PUMPED!!!!!
    Should I tell the guy that I might be going to study abroad in january??

congrats, and best wishes.
    "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

..............well if you don't want the job tell them. It will shuts all yours doors my friend, you will have no chance of getting it unless its the type of job that allows you to work from anywhere.

I understand the need for employment, but quitting after only a few months, and you can probably kiss your references goodbye.

Freelance.
      "You're just jealous because YOUR hat doesn't have a clock in it!"

Comment

well it is a work/study kinda program, it's not a career or anything, just a partime gig. Plus i'm only 19 so, i think that any sort of experience, even if it's 4 months, is good experience. But idk that's why i'm asking you guys, who are in the business.

Comment

I'd say be honest, might as well. It wont be cool if you just ditch them in Janurary, and if you dont get the job after telling the truth, oh well, your integrity is in tact.
          "To be is to do" --Socrates.
          "To do is to be" --Jean-Paul Sartre.
          "Do be do be do" --Frank Sinatra

Comment

i think that any sort of experience, even if it's 4 months, is good experience.
            Yes it is.

Your circumstances just may be perfect for what the employer is looking for and you may luck out, but from a hiring standpoint, it would cost money and resources to get you up and running (in HR alone, plus training, etc) and if they knew you were leaving you are an expense with no long term benefit. You create paperwork.

May I ask the type of environment? Print shop? Design firm? Screen printing? Large Format printing? Magazine or layout? 4 months to some places may be perfect to help out in the 'busy' season. To others, not worth the expense.

Edit: oh and my apologies, congrats on the interiew!

You are young too (as you said) and have that freedom so you have nothing to lose(ah....those were the days..). I'm just trying to let you know that from the hiring stand point that " I'll be leaving in 4 months" doesn't sound like prime canidate for the job qualities.
            Now if you want to argue the moral aspect, well look at this this way....you may find in not telling them your travel plans is dishonest,but then you may find after 4 months that you REALLY like it there and wind up re-adjusting your travel plans to stay.

Hope that helps shed some light on wether you do or not.
            Last edited by Danger_Mouse; 09-27-2006, 02:26 AM.
            "You're just jealous because YOUR hat doesn't have a clock in it!"

Comment

Congratulations J!!! I wish you the very best

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

Originally posted by JLockwood
                Hmm...well, let's put it this way. Back before I started college, I interviewed for a really awesome job and let him know I was going to start college in a few months. Let's just say I never heard back again

Comment

I think you might want to ask yourself an ethical question here, unless I'm completely misinterpreting what you mean by a work/study program kinda thing.

Are they expecting you to take on a longer term commitment than your possibly going abroad in January might encompass? In which case, consider that there are possibly other candidates who can make the full commitment for the time they're looking at, and what you're doing to those candidates' opportunities if you get the job, but then break the lease, so to speak.

If they're only looking for a short-term commitment, then go for it, I'd say, but if you're in line with other candidates who can commit for the time they're looking for, I'd think it would be pretty sucky ethically for you to just leave in January and force them through the whole process again.
                  "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

wish I was 19 or at least in my twenties
                    When I get an interview I seem to screw it up one way or another and when I've had 2 interviews colliding I always make the wrong choice.

JLockwood be philosphical what will be will be

Comment

Honesty is your friend here...
                      Purity and simplicity... and ubuntu.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.
                      - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

thanks guys, your input has helped out alot and it is much appreciated!

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                        Working...
                        X