Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Buda
    Reply to in need of urgent help
    Buda
    You call it a prank, I call it sabotage.
    Today, 02:33 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Help with a graphic technique
    Buda
    You can actually render clouds in Photoshop.

Filter > Render > Clouds

It's can be a good starting point to build your brushes over top of. Fiddle with the levels and the...
    Today, 02:24 AM
  • PrintDriver
    Comment on Setting up file for large banner
    PrintDriver
    4' x8' yeah sure, work at 150ppi. That's fine.
    But a 30' x 41' banner at 150ppi would be over 14.5 gigs flat! Your printer is gonna hate you! Actually he might laugh when you send in your hard drive...
    Today, 12:07 AM
  • Obsidian86
    Reply to Business Logo Design
    Obsidian86
    It's that time of year again, isn't it? Should have known by the traffic....
    Yesterday, 08:42 PM
  • kemingMatters
    Comment on business card design
    kemingMatters
    I would suggest uploading the Vcard to a publicly accessible server (some directory on their website) and using that nice short link to create a QR code with. Either way you should be sure to let people...
    Yesterday, 07:49 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• saving as PDF

dear design dudes,

I really need your help with something. I have a poster that I have done in photoshop. A sepia coloured photo with some text over it. It's 300 dpi and the whole photoshop file is around 287mb. I need to save this as a PDF to then email to the printers for them to print.

I just don't understand about PDF's. The photoshop file is huge. How can I downsize that as a PDF without losing the quality? Should I reduce the resolution? I need to keep that as high as possible right?

I'm confused

what is the size of the document, 8.5 x 11? Larger? Are there a lot of layers?

As for the resolution, your best bet is to call your printer and ask what resolution they need.

It sounds like your PDF is still going to be pretty big, if your native file is 287 MB.
    "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

Burn it onto CD and post it easiest way.

It may also help the printer in regards to the correct bleed etc.

Comment

http://www.pdfzone.com/article2/0,1895,1904393,00.asp
        "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

you will be probably disapointed if you think emailing a pdf after you have compresed it, will have the same quality as the original 287mb file.

I dont think a pdf can be compressed that much and retain the quality,
          as Andi said, "burn to cd and post it" you could compress the pdf
          email it and tell the printer that the file is in the post he at least will get a good idea of what to expect then.

We usually send pdfs as proofs by email, we obviously have to make them as small as possible, not all people are on broadband or have huge sized inbox's, this also helps so the people you send proofs to cannot print them themselves (believe me this has happened).

It is always a good idea to build a good relationship with your printer.
          visit him, take the files and a good proof with you (if it is a local guy obv )
          He will appreciate that you have made this effort on his behalf and it will bode well for your future dealings with him.

ps wouldnt it be best to just bring the photo into quark or indesign and put you text on in there
          Last edited by panzer; 09-27-2006, 12:43 PM.
          When I awoke today, suddenly nothing happened
          But in my dreams, I slew the dragon

Comment

It is likely that your PSD file is full of layers and blends and the sort. Try just saving as a PDF (files > save as) and unchecking the layers option. FTP upload or mailing them a CD is best for artwork since you don't want to reduce the size or quality.

Comment

Yeah, you've likely got a bunch of layers, so make sure you flatten them. You can do so by unchecking the layers option when you save, as M says, or you can use Flatten Artwork under the Layers Palette Option, or you can use Merge Layers (CTRL/CMND-SHIFT-E).

Photoshop I doesn't have much for PDF options, and will always give a huge file. I would save your PSD file as a TIFF (no layers, no compression), then Place it into an InDesign document, and PDF it from there.
              Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
              mediamainline.com
              cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
              Working...
              X