Comment on Happy Turkey Day!!
    Salt
    hehe
    because you ate stuffed turkey.
    Today, 08:05 AM
  • MaNL
    Reply to Sand Queen
    MaNL
    Hey, my fellow countryman! Great illustrations, especially knowing you picked up illustrator just 6 moths ago. Just wanted to know if all of the illustrations are drawn by yourself? If yes thats a big...
    Today, 07:18 AM
  • murofwoh
    Reply to Constructive Criticism?
    murofwoh
    agree lose the slogan ---ha, pretty brash..........................other than that, since you are a youngin', you have a nice start. continue to push the envelope and learn learn learn learn and observe...
    Today, 05:40 AM
  • murofwoh
    so, i have decided to start up a bit of freelancing
    murofwoh
    to help pay the bills. three kids, one a high school junior, plus some big bills coming due have forced my hand. one cool thing is I made this decision after someone asked me to help them out with some...
    Today, 01:23 AM
  • murofwoh
    Reply to Logo feedback needed
    murofwoh
    it isn't the worst logo I have ever seen, but it has a bit of a clip art feel to it, like you used a cityscape clip art then a clip art runner then a jet and melded the three. also more exploration with...
    Today, 01:14 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truckload of Leaves.

Here I am again.... Yesterday, Morea helped me get past my fear of bricks, and today, its leaves.

I need to make some tiny trees... like the brick challenge, they have to be small, really small... and look somewhat realistic. However, I do not want to use jpeg's or just take pictures.

The problem is that I need a tough perspective. I have attached this "mouse" sketch to show you the size and perspective I need.

If you have any suggestions or examples I will love you forever....

thanks!
    Attached Files
    CNIC - noun [see - nick]
    1. An American "nick" name for me to use on the GDF.
    2. Designer, Developer, Carpenter, Painter, Sexy... just plain sexy.
    3. One that does not like green eggs and ham. Seriously, I have very strict breakfast rules.
    For more on CNIC, see the unabridged collegiate dictionary. Or call the President.

Drawing basics, and this does translate to digital if you know how.

Most graphics programs have guides that you can drag in and some have options to change the angle. If you don't have guides or know how to use them, lines work - just not as well.

Perspective.
    In drawing you will have what is called vanishing points. These are the infinite horizon that your eye can no longer distinguish details.

For your drawing there would be one center point where your road disappears. Then 4 perspective points to converge to the center point along with your horizontal and vertical horizions. These 6 lines represent your 3D veiwing axis and is also used in the modeling "cube" in 3D programs along with the "y" axis which you won't see in a linear project on the screen.

Attached is a representation of the vanishing points to your drawing.

The vanishing origins are the little red dots. These can be placed inside the picture or far outside, depending on how your perspective feels. You can move the green lines of axis around the page as long as they still intersect the vertical and horizon vanishing point. These will act as scale for the size of the object according to the vanishing point.

So now that you have a background you want to place an object in the picture and keep the same scale. This can get a bit tricky to scale different objects but I know of simple methods that will help you out.

I placed elephants to show proper scale and perspective. Then I placed a pepsi can to approximate size in the closest elephant. I drew linear lines to keep my pepsi can in perspective on the page. I can then move it anywhere along that line to keep it in perspective.

There's another can by the furthest elephant that I did not scale. Now the pepsi can looks to be as big as that elephant, when in fact it did not change size on the screen. If i need to place the can anywhere else on the screen I can use that object as a vanishing origin and draw my lines from that to the vanishing point to keep scale.

There are litterally tons of great things that you can accomplish once you understand vanishing points. Check out a beginners drawing book that partains to vanishing points and drawing architecture.

The two examples that I gave you for this particular instance is only a small part of what you need to learn to truely become good at doing landcapes, cityscapes, etc.

Good luck, I hope this helped.
    =)
    Jade
    Last edited by Drazan; 10-01-2006, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Drazan , Thanks for the extensive advise. However.. I apparently gave you the wrong impression with me 10 second mouse sketch. I was only trying to give you an idea of the exact size of tree I need. I have been through art school, and I remember perspective and vanishing points from high school.... but seriously, if I didnt know this stuff already, I'm confident that you would make a good teacher.

here is a sample of the little tree I came up with.

Thanks again.

Anyone needs a small tree, feel free to take a copy.

Attached Files
      CNIC - noun [see - nick]
      1. An American "nick" name for me to use on the GDF.
      2. Designer, Developer, Carpenter, Painter, Sexy... just plain sexy.
      3. One that does not like green eggs and ham. Seriously, I have very strict breakfast rules.
      For more on CNIC, see the unabridged collegiate dictionary. Or call the President.

Comment

I like that cnic... nice job

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

heh, I zeroed in on "tough perspective". Oh well.

Comment

well said, Drazan... I am sure that your post will be helpful to others, even if it was not *exactly* what the original poster needed. Thanks for taking the time!
            "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
            Working...
            X