Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• KitchWitch
    Reply to Creative Suite and upgrading
    KitchWitch
    I'm on CS6 (not cloud) at work and I can still open old Pagemaker files. They aren't pretty, but it works.
    Today, 05:51 PM
  • PrintDriver
    PrintDriver
    You will be able to open all your CS2 files. Just be wary.

You might have trouble going from Illustrator CS2 to CS6. If you have any clipping paths in images placed in Illustrator that aren't...
    Today, 05:51 PM
  • kemingMatters
    kemingMatters
    I would look out for changes in text flow, effects being dropped, things like rounded corners going screwy when opening in CS6, the largest jump I've done is an indd created in CS3 opened with CS6. Plus...
    Today, 05:36 PM
  • UncleWally
    UncleWally
    In theory it should still work; however I might recommend double checking with Adobe just to be save.
    Today, 05:15 PM
  • Casseopia
    Creative Suite and upgrading
    Casseopia
    OK - before I ask you guys a question, I have to admit to something so terrible, so heinous, that you might just walk away shaking your head... Before you do - please try and help me with this question....
    Today, 05:04 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• giant billboard

I was asked to design a giant billboard for a development company - the dimensions are going to be around 8 meters by 16 meters. How do I go about creating such a huge file - is there a way to use photoshop, or does it have to be vector so it can be rescaled for print?
    Also, what ppi should it be?

Thanks

I think an 8 x 16 meter Raster file would be scary
    But then I've never done a billboard.

As for the rez...contact the person that will be printing the billboard and ask them for thier specifications.

Your really gonna do this totally in Photoshop?

Comment

Ask the printer how they recommend. Also remember that a billboard is very high up and a distance away (for the most part) and you won't see minor imperfections like you would in an advertisement.

I would recommend doing most of the work in a vector based program, but you can use Photoshop to a certain degree. But like I said, contact the printer and find out how they would like it.

Comment

Definitely contact the printer. They usually have a scale/dpi ratio for you to use.
        Don't be scared if your dpi is below 20 at final size. Actually, don't be surprised if the dpi is ipd. This is almost as big as a building wrap where the "pixel" dots can be 2"x2".
        You may have to do something this size in sections with bleed for welding. I know in Europe there are mega-wide printers that go to 8 meters but very darn few in the US.
        Hope you have a good processor and lots of ram.

Comment

You don't need as high resolution for billboard as you do for smaller print (ie, you may only need 100dpi or so), but you must check with your printer for the exact specs.

I really wouldn't ever do an 8x16 meter billboard in raster format, myself. It can be done, but it's definitely not suggested. How good are you with Illustrator? If you need a photographic image, I would create a photo-realistic illustration in Illy, even though it will be labour intensive. If they can pay for the billboard, they can pay for the work that goes into designing it.
          Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
          mediamainline.com
          cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

Originally posted by activeseven
            I think an 8 x 16 meter Raster file would be scary
            Computer will asplode.

Comment

Photoshop will first. Your computer is safe.
              At 15dpi as a .psb that's a 16gig file. Good luck with that. I don't know many people who would print a .psb let alone 16gigs of it. But I don't talk to building wrap people if I can help it. I just pawn off those printing nightmares.
              Last edited by PrintDriver; 09-28-2006, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Which program to use?

I am designing a billboard that will be 14 x 48 ft. I have done a smaller version to scale in Illustrator, but it will not let me create a 1:1 file because the dimensions are too large. Any suggestions?
                "What the hell is this? You said, 'It's art. Just f***in mirror it.'" - Gordon Downie

Comment

I am an In-house designer for a large format digital print company. Every print company has different specs as to what they want. We generally want things at 1/4 scale at 300dpi unless it is smaller than 12 feet. In that case we want the file at a 1:1 scale at 400 - 500 dpi (depending on just how small it is). PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, ALWAYS CONTACT YOUR PRINTER FIRST IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WITHOUT A SHADOW OF A DOUBT, THE SPECS ON HOW THEY WANT THEIR FILES!! I say this because I deal with the headache everyday of ad agencies that sub contract their design work to us and provide us with crap... and the outdoor sign companies that send stuff for us to print that is absolute crap and I have to rebuild it for prepress!

Edit: ...and yes, I have done building wraps and also huge mesh vinyl boards that are stretched between two buildings. I usually will do these in sections or quadrants in illustrator. Those files are huge and get printed separate and welded together. It is a major pancaking headache!
                  Last edited by Exodus; 12-05-2006, 02:58 PM.
                  Let me see you make decisions without your televisions.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

Printing it in sections sounds great! I think I will go pick up a printer at wal-mart and begin printing my 100'x200' self portrait for every major highway! I will have to calculate how many 8.5x11 sheets of paper that will be....!

100/8.5=? carry the 6...measure the mm....subtract my common sense....and presto!!!! ummmmmmm never mind!

ERiC's DESiGN HOUSE - (check me out)
                    http://ericdesignhouse.blogspot.com/

Design is a plan for arranging elements in such a way as best to accomplish a particular purpose.
                    -Charles Eames

Comment

Exodus, 1:1 at 500dpi? Really? I don't want more than 200dpi at 1:1. Unless it's an 'art' print.
                      See, we are all different.
                      I second his comment. CALL THE PRINTER for the exact specs.
                      Depending on the output device I'd want 1:10 at 350-2000dpi scale or 1:12 scale at 420-2400dpi in Quark. And 1/4 scale or better in the programs with real artboards.

Comment

PD, 500dpi @ 1:1 is for stuff less than 6'. 400dpi for stuff 6.5 -> 12'. Over 12' I want .25 scale @ 300dpi.

Edit: Yea, we get a lot of art murals and such that has to be really high-res.
                        Last edited by Exodus; 12-05-2006, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions.

The resolution isn't the issue here, because it is primarily vector. My question pertained to the method of creating the file. I went ahead and made the new Illustrator file in 1:4 scale and that seems like it should work. Please let me know if I am missing something here...

The billboard company is Lamar, and I have no idea who the printer is, as my client is in California and I am in Atlanta.

Thanks again.
                          "What the hell is this? You said, 'It's art. Just f***in mirror it.'" - Gordon Downie

Comment

Prolly us. We're in Chattanooga, TN.

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                            Working...
                            X