Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• sketch28
    What is this type of design called?
    sketch28
    I really like this type of design and would like to try my hand at some of my own, but I would like to see more examples of it. Could anyone tell me what it's called?

Sorry...
    Today, 05:32 AM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Created Logo in PS, question about file
    KitchWitch
    Hi Chromez and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
    Today, 02:17 AM
  • Saint-Michel
    Reply to Legal size cardstock for business cards
    Saint-Michel
    Thank you for your answer PrintDriver. Seems like I was misinformed. I'll probably have to buy another printer that can print on thicker card stock then. Do you have any suggestions as to what printer...
    Yesterday, 11:30 PM
  • zablockit
    Reply to Please critique my new game design
    zablockit

Ok, skeuomorphic looks awesome!

What do you think now?

What would you improve?...
    Yesterday, 09:11 PM
  • lowfatgraphics
    Reply to Font Management
    lowfatgraphics
    Thanks.

I was testing the Font Suitcase and seems to be screwing with my Chrome bowsers...after some googling--looks like its a known issue. FEX it is then.

Thanks Garricks....
    Yesterday, 08:29 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-designing my logo and branding concept

I'm considering redesigning my portfolio site next month while I'm on a week-long vacation. I'm debating whether I keep the WienerGraphics.com domain or just change to EvanWiener.com in an attempt at being more 'professional' and hopefully taken seriously.

I'm planning on coming up with more illustration samples to show off a style of work that matches what I'd like to be doing.

My first step is re-designing my logo. I still would like to incorporate the image of a hot dog and maybe my name, instead of the Wiener Graphics thing? I'd like to pull this off without confusing people in thinking that I'm all about hot dogs and not graphic design.
    wieNerDog

I have redesigned a logo....viva la revolution!
    Attached Files
    N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

ERiC's DESiGN HOUSE - (check me out)
    http://ericdesignhouse.blogspot.com/

Design is a plan for arranging elements in such a way as best to accomplish a particular purpose.
    -Charles Eames

Comment

unless you've had bad experiences with the domain name you've got, I think its good to have a sense of humor. If Im not mistaken thats a left brain thing... most creative types are on the lighter side. Look at us! Look at the thread that showed how many toys we all had on our desk. I dont think its a problem but if you're concerned then Id suggest changing it. Good luck... Im one of my worst clients.
      www.jackiecreative.com

People who live in glass houses sink ships.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackimalyn
        unless you've had bad experiences with the domain name you've got, I think its good to have a sense of humor. If Im not mistaken thats a left brain thing... most creative types are on the lighter side. Look at us! Look at the thread that showed how many toys we all had on our desk. I dont think its a problem but if you're concerned then Id suggest changing it. Good luck... Im one of my worst clients.
        I am definitely my own worst client. I'll finish a project for myself and within a short period of time, I find so many things I don't like anymore or get ideas and feedback that changes my idea so much, I get angry that I didn't get it right the first time.

I've been designing for about 5 years now, and I still feel like I need a professor to show concepts and get peer reviews. Maybe I'll treat myself as a real client, start some comps of logos, post them here and get some peer feedback before I'm too far along in the process...

From my last site redesign, I got a LOT of criticism of the overall functionality of the site. I totally 'cheated' by designing and slicing a site in Photoshop. I also heard a lot of "Wiener Graphics" doesn't sound professional enough. They may have a point, and using my own name as a domain and brand may be enough, especially if I can work in that hot dog image into the type without looking tacky.

My first goal is to design a site that is a better structural web design.

I also need a proper logo for all possible usage (1-color/4-color print & web).

Wish me luck!
        Last edited by wienerdog; 09-28-2006, 09:15 PM. Reason: additional thoughts
        wieNerDog

Comment

Originally posted by wienerdog
          Maybe I'll treat myself as a real client, start some comps of logos, post them here and get some peer feedback before I'm too far along in the process...
          A fantastic idea! Keep us updated
          Some advice is profound, some is clever. The above post is a good example of both.
          http://www.pedrospracticaljokes.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by wienerdog
            I'd like to pull this off without confusing people in thinking that I'm all about hot dogs and not graphic design.
            I don't know about you, but I'm all about hot dogs!

Personally, I think the whole weiner/hotdog thing sets you apart.

On the one hand, I think it would be much more appropriate for a multimedia or cartoon studio, along the lines of Horseback Salad or something.

On the other hand, this industry is too saturated with 'professional sounding' companies with the standard 'professional look'.

Both points considered, I think the more distinctive and original hotdog theme is better.
            Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
            mediamainline.com
            cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

The hardest part is coming up with a design that uses my name, represents me as a designer/illustrator, and incorporates the image of a hot dog to have fun with the last name. Maybe that's too much to expect from a logo. I should probably focus on the name/image. How do you portray someone as a designer without resorting to the cliche' pencil/pen/mouse thing?
              wieNerDog

Comment

All you need is an Oscar Meyer and a bottle of Evian. Oh sorry... That's Evan, isn't it?
                Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
                mediamainline.com
                cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

Originally posted by Ned
                  All you need is an Oscar Meyer and a bottle of Evian. Oh sorry... That's Evan, isn't it?
                  LOL, if my name were Evian, that would be the easiet logo! A bottle of water with a hot dog on it!
                  wieNerDog

Comment

How about a weiner floating in a bottle of water?
                    Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
                    mediamainline.com
                    cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

PS, speaking of humorous food logos, have you ever seen the logo for my company's video production division, Big Ham Productions?

I chose that name for the non-linear division of Media Mainline Ltd., because I'm a real ham when I present before a crowd. I love the show!
                      Last edited by Ned; 09-28-2006, 10:19 PM.
                      Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
                      mediamainline.com
                      cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

Though your webpage is fun, it may not give the professional feel. maybe keep that for fun stuff and start a new one for more professional works.
                        A client may think you are a cheap find instead of what you may really be worth.
                        Dribbble Page
                        Behance Portfolio
                        Linkedin Profile

Comment

Yeah, the site really needs a more professional make-over. The slicing of Photoshop work is a weak layout.

I'll post some sketches this weekend in the Showcase section, I guess.
                          wieNerDog

Comment

What would be fun would be to play subjective contrast with the weiner, and high-end design. An example? A high-key glamour shot of a beautiful model floating in a perfectly still pool of water on some elegantly designed inflatable--only substitute a weiner for the model. Or look at some high-end whiskey or perfume ads, and do the same kind of thing.

It's the whole contradiction of the ridiculous banality of a weiner set into exclusive visual territory. How about a glam night shot of high-performance sports cars and luxury cars lined up at some real swank hotel's parking lot. And in among them, a beautiful, chrome sparkling weinermobile.

Could be a fun direction to explore.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                            Working...
                            X