Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• PrintDriver
    Reply to Vendor Creative
    PrintDriver
    You had time to do the change and post here, but not time to pick up the phone and call the client?

I think if I was paying for something and it was changed by someone outside the company,...
    Today, 04:32 PM
  • hank_scorpio
    Reply to Are you able to read the text?
    hank_scorpio
    Picture should be someone enjoying themselves in a walking scene in a park or something, or playing with their kids.

Text over image should only be block text, paragraphs of text never w...
    Today, 04:15 PM
  • Cosmo
    Reply to Multiply, white background question. Must be a 1 minute answer?? Help!
    Cosmo
    You can change the opacity to multiply, but that's not the proper way to do it. If it's a logo, it should be created in Illustrator in vector form. That way there is no background to worry about, and...
    Today, 03:46 PM
  • EvaldasT
    Reply to Is graphic design for me?
    EvaldasT
    Well, I am really passionate to learn, I have been excited about digital arts since young age and learned most of the things by myself and I thought that uni will teach me some industry stuff, but it...
    Today, 03:40 PM
  • GDGD
    Reply to Vendor Creative
    GDGD
    And sometimes they brand the creative, in this case, they did. What I changed was layout of the text and images. The branding and legalese stayed exactly the same....
    Today, 03:37 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Space saving fonts that read well

So, we all agree that comic sans sucks.

Which fonts do you find have saved you in a crunch for space, meaning that they can be small, maintain readability and still look nice? I run into this problem a lot with cd jacket text where bands want to have gobs of liner notes fit on two panels. For me, the font that has saved me more times than once is JoannaMTItalic. It doesn't read or look like an italicized font generally does and looks nice for body copy.

http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/linotype/joanna/mt-italic/
    You're no longer a child when a mud puddle is an obstacle rather than an opportunity!

I like trade gothic a lot. And Mini7 for pixel/web.
    You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on. --GWB

Comment

I like fonts that are true condensed (as in designed that way, not squashed with horizontal scale settings). Univers, Trade Gothic, ITC Franklin Gothic or Helvetica condensed (yeah, I said Helvetica!), ITC Garamond Condensed, font families that have been designed with condensed versions as an additional set of fonts.

I generally loathe horizontal scaling, although I've been forced to resort to it. For serifs, I find that Berkeley Oldstyle can take up to about 8-10% without looking weird if I really need to go there. Sans serifs always look weird to me with horizontal scaling applied.
      "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

I like univers because they've got so many style options...is that what it's called?

You know, Univers light oblique, Univers light, Univers light ultra condensed, Univers oblique, Univers thin ultra condensed....etc.
        It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Originally posted by urstwile
          I like fonts that are true condensed (as in designed that way, not squashed with horizontal scale settings). Univers, Trade Gothic, ITC Franklin Gothic or Helvetica condensed (yeah, I said Helvetica!), ITC Garamond Condensed, font families that have been designed with condensed versions as an additional set of fonts.

I generally loathe horizontal scaling, although I've been forced to resort to it. For serifs, I find that Berkeley Oldstyle can take up to about 8-10% without looking weird if I really need to go there. Sans serifs always look weird to me with horizontal scaling applied.
          You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on. --GWB

Comment

VISITOR and BITDUST are good little fonts
            Check it out, TALKDELAWARE.COM

Comment

I like Frutiger Condensed for things like captions, but it doesn't work as well for body copy.

Comment

Originally posted by Caddyman
                VISITOR and BITDUST are good little fonts
                Pixel fonts only suit a certain style of design though...
                It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Futura, Univers, and many of the condensed fonts (although I'd be picky). Seriously, instead of asking us, you should be giving us choices to narrow down. Your project might need something we don't understand.
                  Broke or just cheap? Read my list of free open source alternatives to Adobe Creative Suite software.

Comment

I don't think she was asking for advice on a specific project, just seeing what other people like, SurfPark .

Comment

Originally posted by budafist
                      I like univers because they've got so many style options...is that what it's called?

You know, Univers light oblique, Univers light, Univers light ultra condensed, Univers oblique, Univers thin ultra condensed....etc.
                      Same reason I like the Helvetica Neue series, Buda. Most people would call them weights, I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by urstwile
                        Same reason I like the Helvetica Neue series, Buda. Most people would call them weights, I believe.

^yes weights,

I seem to be using Gill Sans and its different weights at mo also Gill Sans MT schoolbook I like—sorta rounded and friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by capezio
                          ^yes weights,

I seem to be using Gill Sans and its different weights at mo also Gill Sans MT schoolbook I like—sorta rounded and friendly.
                          Yes weights - thanks guys. I can sound more knowledgeable now

Gill Sans MT Schoolbook huh? Haven't seen that one before, must look it up.

I love Gill Sans. Makes me hot...We've got Gill Sans Maori at work. It's great for when we have to do stuff with lots of accents that are used in the Maori language. Who ever thought of that was a Kiwi genius!

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                          Working...
                          X