Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• salsa
    Reply to Design Quotes
    salsa
    They want you to do a mock quote and didn't tell you how to do it? That's strange that they would even do this because there are a lot of steps in the real world of business that you have to go through...
    Today, 02:33 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to New Logo for a Glass Bottle Cutting Device
    Buda
    I don't see any progression. It's the same concept.

Try and work on some more interesting concepts.

Things to think about:
    Who is the target market?
    What is the...
    Today, 01:51 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Critique for my logos
    Buda
    What is your background? Are you a student or a designer?

These don't look like real logos to me because they can't be used in the real world. It looks like you have thought up concepts but...
    Today, 01:47 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to (Possibly) doing a commission for the first time, need intro
    Buda
    Just curious if you are thinking of using copyright and trademarked comic book and movie characters in your design?
    Today, 01:44 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Design Quotes
    Buda
    Hi c_fowler336 and welcome to GDF.

We ask every new member to read the threads posted HERE, particularly this thread to get acquainted with how things work on GDF. They will explain...
    Today, 01:37 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Specs for Graphics

I'm getting to the point where I need to invest (or make payments) to have my own computer that will handle graphics comfortably and fast. I'm leaning towards a PC simply because the pricing is closer to the range that I can handle.

I don't know a whole lot about computer's physical makeup as far as hard drive and such, but what should I make sure this computer has? I'm wanting to use this computer solely for my work (print/multimedia/web).

Any ideas?
    Do I need a video card? (I think that's what I read...)

Yeah.... you'll need a video card, assuming you want to have at least one monitor! !!

Here are a couple of minimums that I would require;
    • 1Gb of Ram... prefferably 2Gb.
    • 256Mb graphic's card... prefferably dual monitor capable.
    • 80Gb hard drive... get an extra hard drive if you have a bunch of music to listen to while you work.
    • Trend Micro Virus protection.
    • Webroot spysweeper spyware protection.
    • Fastest processor you can afford with the formentioned specs.
    • Download Firefox, Thunderbird, Itunes, and your pretty much set to go.
    Don't forget to set a bookmark for the GDF!!!

CNIC - noun [see - nick]
    1. An American "nick" name for me to use on the GDF.
    2. Designer, Developer, Carpenter, Painter, Sexy... just plain sexy.
    3. One that does not like green eggs and ham. Seriously, I have very strict breakfast rules.
    For more on CNIC, see the unabridged collegiate dictionary. Or call the President.

Comment

80Gb hard drive, might aswell up it to a 100+gb hard drive, unless you use the raid5 on say 4 Western digital raptors (10k rpm hard drives)

Trend Micro Virus protection? no. AVG Virus protection or Advast! (they are only 20 bucks, and no subscription, and there damn good.)

Webroot spysweeper spyware protection? I prefer Spybot Search and Destroy combined with google toolbar (added popup blocker).

Fastest processor you can afford with the formentioned specs? I agree, but make sure its a Core Duo (intel), or dual core (amd) processor.

tessabell8, what is your budget (the maximum you can go)?
      Last edited by Navian; 09-28-2006, 02:32 PM.
      pas·sion
      If there is no passion in your life, then have you already lived? Find your passion, whatever it may be. Become it, and let it become you, and you will find great things happen for you, to you, and because of you.
      -T. Alan Armstrong

Comment

well, i'm thinking of paying monthly on it... at this point i need a system and thinking desktop for now and if i get enough freelance work, i'll end up getting a laptop. dell had some good prices... so i'm thinking i can handle up to up to 100/ mo payments... no more than 100...i'm still on an entry level job and they're yanking me around...so i'm not getting paid real well... so this is my opportunity to get some side work going and not completely stress myself out!

Comment

Originally posted by tessabell8
          well, i'm thinking of paying monthly on it... at this point i need a system and thinking desktop for now and if i get enough freelance work, i'll end up getting a laptop. dell had some good prices... so i'm thinking i can handle up to up to 100/ mo payments... no more than 100...i'm still on an entry level job and they're yanking me around...so i'm not getting paid real well... so this is my opportunity to get some side work going and not completely stress myself out!

If you wait a few, and watch for the laptop/desktop processors change from Intel to AMD, the prices will drop some.

Dell's are not too bad (yeah I made fun of them), but they have a pretty good warrenty. I think you can get both a desktop and a laptop for 100/mo with dell. Also if you register say an LLC (small business), you can get a bigger discount on them, if you use the business registration number/tax ID#. if you can go with a little more than 100, you can get decent setups for both, and I believe since they would be investment tools for your business (see a C.P.A. for more advice and details).
          pas·sion
          If there is no passion in your life, then have you already lived? Find your passion, whatever it may be. Become it, and let it become you, and you will find great things happen for you, to you, and because of you.
          -T. Alan Armstrong

Comment

yeah...i've found some as low as 40/mo that's why i'm asking what specs i need so i can make sure i can afford it. $$ is super tight right now, but i think it would be worth investing in...

Comment

do you have your business/freelance registered already? you can get those systems way cheaper if you can supply the register number or tax Id's. My teacher did just that, saved about 400 bucks. plus its a write off for him, not only as a teacher, but for his business.
              pas·sion
              -T. Alan Armstrong

Comment

i don't have my own company yet... should i start? i have a good friend that owns their own small business. she probably could give me some good pointers. what are your thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by tessabell8
                  i don't have my own company yet... should i start? i have a good friend that owns their own small business. she probably could give me some good pointers. what are your thoughts?
                  Why not? That way you will already have it, when you get your systems. get all the legal-legit stuff out of the way first. and do ask your friend for some pointers. its always good to get advice.
                  pas·sion
                  -T. Alan Armstrong

Comment

good call i appreciate it !!

Comment

The minimum would be

1.8 ghz processor
                      1 gb RAM
                      40 gb disc
                      video card could be onboard... but that means you'd be getting not the best motherboard. You'd need a good videocard if you are planning on 3D modeling and animation... and of course, if you wanna play graphic-intensive videogames. RAM in the videocard is not what is most important, but the GPU. nVidia and ATI are good.

A good Motherboard is what gives proper stability to the overall system, as she (hehe, a mother) will be the one that communicates with everything.
                      RAM [practical mode on] is what you are gonna need to have a lot of programs open at the same time, with lots of files open. If you don't have enough RAM, your computer will go SLUG mode.
                      Processor is what is gonna make those vectors show faster, that photoshop filter (god forsake) apply faster, those applications run smoothly, idem.

The more you can go, the better. But, if your budget is tight, don't think that by having a 1.8 AMD 32 bit processor you're gonna go slow, cause you're not.

A good monitor is also needed. It must support a resolution of AT LEAST 1024*768, I'd say 1280*960 is the best. The resolution will allow you to have the lots of tiny windows you need in the designing programs. I remember when I started learning Flash, and had a computer running on 800*600... all the windows clutched together, with hardly no space to work... at 60 Hz.
                      the monitor should support at least 75 Hz, or your eyes will go ARGH.

And... yadda yadda. Any questions? :P
                      Last edited by DrummerHead; 09-28-2006, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Tessabell,

If you check out Dell you can get some great deals and not have to shell out a lot of coin each month. I just got a great system and I only have to pay $33 a month. If I decide to get my freelancing back in order I can write it off as an expense. You can customize the system to your liking and it gets shipped right away. I got an XPS system with 160 gig HD. Added my own 160 gig HD as a back up. 1gig of RAM. Only drawback is the new fan to cool the HD on the bottom sucks in a lot of dust, so you can't set it on carpet and you have to be careful of how much dust gets sucked in. I just had mine replaced because it was all clogged up.

Good luck!

Comment

You can't write off computer equipment/software as an expense. It gets depreciated over a number of business cycles.

Comment

SharkFinStudios: I know about Dell...that is exactly where I'm going...however I didn't know specifics because I've never had to buy a computer...i don't know a whole lot about hard drives and i know there are 2 different places for memory but i don't know what they are.

PrintDriver
                            : I was told to go ahead and startup the whole small business stuff and get a head start on that and then having a small business will allow me to save some money when it comes to equipment?

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver
                              You can't write off computer equipment/software as an expense. It gets depreciated over a number of business cycles.
                              So then you're telling me that every CFO, or CPA that has told me that, is wrong?

On the same note, company cars are write offs, yet they also "depreciate", so they too should not be a write off.

Sorry bro, but writing off expenses is used when you buy "Tools" for the job. A computer is a "tool", as is the car, or hammer, or what ever your job/business is..

Tess, you can always call Dell, and the IRS.

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/...109807,00.html
                              Last edited by Navian; 09-28-2006, 05:30 PM.
                              pas·sion
                              -T. Alan Armstrong

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X