X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pantone to CMYK :: different numbers for CMYK on Mac and PC

Ok when I have a Pantone color, then covert it to CMYK in Illustrator/InDesign/Quark, etc. on my Mac I get different CMYK numbers that I did on my PC. Why is that? I expected the colors to look slightly different since I'm on two platforms, but why are the actually CMYK numbers different when I go to CMYK mode? Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for any info [img]/emoticons/tongue.gif[/img]

It isn't so much 'how', but 'why'.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I have CS on my Mac and 9.0 on my PC. The PANTONE names are slightly different (CS=PANTONE solid uncoated. 9.0=PANTONE uncoated). When converted to CMYK the numbers are only a bit off (ex: CS=100 ; 9.0=96).

Any more info would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Ah, the great Pantone 2000 trap.

Though I coulda sworn v9 had the new colors (it does in Mac).
      How are you getting your stuff printed?

In the year 2000 Pantone did everyone a favor and updated their colors on brighter stock. If you compare a new chip book to an old chip book, 90% of the colors are pretty darn close. Some are shockingly different. The formula are also different. Yeehaw.
      Go here to get the equivalents to use in Illy v9:
      www.pantone.com/support/support.asp?idArticle=73
      Look down at the bottom of the page for Mac or PC platform. You want the pdf color chart and value list. Other things in there will be of interest to you as well.
      You'll have to key them in.

Illy 9, 10, and CS all use the new colors, though I'm not sure they upgraded the PC version of v9 to Pantone 2000. If your v9 is still using the plain 'uncoated' then it wasn't update. Check to see if there is an update to V9.02 and see if that helps.

I'm sure this is confusing as all hell.

(humming the tune 'Welcome to my world...')

PrintDriver is a large format digital print dude. His advice/opinions may not apply to the 4color/offset/web world of printing

Comment

Thanks for your reply, I will look into that.

PrintDriver said...
        Illy 9, 10, and CS all use the new colors, though I'm not sure they upgraded the PC version of v9 to Pantone 2000. If your v9 is still using the plain 'uncoated' then it wasn't update. Check to see if there is an update to V9.02 and see if that helps.
        Yes I think on my PC it says 'PANTONE uncoated' whereas on the Mac with CS it says 'PANTON solid uncoated' (CS has 'solid' while 9.0 does not).

How often does Pantone do these changes to their colors? Wouldn't that be a bit of an annoyance to designers and printers? Like for corporate ID, you have to specify the Pantone number and CMYK, RGB equilvants. So does that mean the CMYK/RGB numbers have to be adjusted to match the new Pantone color?

Comment

Thanks for your reply, I will look into that. So your basically saying that Pantone changed their colors a little, and as a result the numbers for CMYK and RGB changed a litttle as well to match the new Pantone colors?

PrintDriver said...
          Yes I think on my PC it says 'PANTONE uncoated' whereas on the Mac with CS it says 'PANTONE solid uncoated' (CS has 'solid' while 9.0 does not).

How often does Pantone do these changes to their colors? Wouldn't that be a bit of an annoyance to designers and printers? Like for corporate ID, you have to specify the Pantone number and CMYK, RGB equilvants for the company's corporate color scheme. So does that mean the CMYK/RGB numbers have to be adjusted to match the new Pantone color?

P.S. Sorry if I double posted this. Something got messed up when I first posted.

Post Edited (tech4all) : 7/20/2004 9:43:20 AM GMT

Comment

You're right. It is a serious annoyance to me because we don't use spot inks in grand format. And changing the CMYK formulae really messed us up until we figured out what had happened. We have to ask now what the date is on the swatch book is that our designers use (if they don't send us chips) AND know which version of a program is being used. We've had things refused cuz of off color between the two charts.

The other thing that'll mess you up real bad is changing color spaces in Illustrator by going to File>Color Space and just clicking RGB or CMYK. That REALLY f*ks the colors up. Everything becomes decimal points. You need to start in the right color space in Illustrator.

That's the first time Pantone has updated. And they did it too quietly.
            It's only now getting figured out and most printers really don't know cuz they just buy the ink match. The ones that mix their own might know.

Like I said, most of the colors are within 'pleasing' between old and new but some of them are seriously and dramatically different. Especially in the Blue palette.

PrintDriver is a large format digital print dude. His advice/opinions may not apply to the 4color/offset/web world of printing

Comment

PrintDriver is correct. This scenario came into play while I was designing a logo for a company that wanted their logo done in Pantone 2935 uncoated. When I designed the logo and delivered it, they were upset that the blue was different than what they wanted. I immediately grabbed my Pantone Chipset and went to them and compared the colors.

It turned out, they were picking their colors from a set that was three years older than mine. And PrintDriver will love this one... their Pantone chipset was being stored on top of a filing cabinet right next to an uncovered window... in Florida, no less.

Brien J Tomassetti

Comment

yeah, hah. In the sun. Love it.
                I love it when they send a combo of new chips and old chips.
                Everyone knows they stopped supporting Pre-2000 colors in CS right?
                And everyone knows where the Pre-2000 colors are stored in the programs right?

He he heee.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                Working...
                X