Companies and contests Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
Search Search Module

Advertisement Advertisement Module

Latest Topics Latest Topics Module

• PrintDriver
    Comment on Is there a way to do this?
    Waste of time.
    Not only is Excel output RGB-based, you will get different colors on every machine you print that "chart."
    It won't be worth the paper it is printed on. You aren't...
    Today, 11:31 PM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to Portfolio Critique
    B, did you read his resume?
    Parts of this are actual work, even though it seems to be on campus and/or under no direction.
    Though I do agree on the use of vulgarity for possibly simple shock...
    Today, 07:31 PM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to Basic Document Set up Question
    Either that or the printer has automatic borders and won't print within 1/4" of the edge all around and maybe even not a 1/2" at the bottom.
    Today, 06:52 PM
  • jlwaters
    Reply to New here, looking for feedback on design project
    You know your right, I hadn't thought of flattening it to include the skull also. Really great advice, I definitely think that could be the reason it doesn't look quite right. THANK YOU!
    Today, 05:03 PM
  • B
    Reply to Basic Document Set up Question
    By the way, welcome to the forum.

Since it's your first post, here are links to the forum rules and some useful information that we try to give all new forum members....
    Today, 04:41 PM

Conversation Detail Module
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Companies and contests

Companies sometimes throw contests like "Send your design of X with an interesting idea promoting our X and you can win X"

Why do they do that? Is that their designers run out of ideas? Or they just make someone from the company win and then use an idea someone sent (and didn't win)

I'm really curious.

It's the whole 'American Idol' type of idea.

They get the design from one of 'the people', to make themselves look more community-based. They also get mass-publicity for advertising the contest. Word of contests travel faster and cheaper than regular advertising. It's just another publicity stunt.

However, it's still spec-work, no matter what. The company may spend more money on advertising the contest than they would pay their own in-house designer(s), but for the poor schmuks who enter, there are still at least tens or hundreds of applicants producing work with no compensation.
    Ned Yeung, A.C.E.

It's because they're cheap and cruel.
      It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Check the rules too. One of the big movie studios had a contest for a movie poster a couple years ago. And the one thing that I remember reading the fine print was that only 3 won various prizes, but the studio held copyright posession on all entries and could do with what they wanted. Several contests are worded as such. That was the first and last contest I looked into deeply. Though I still downloaded all their promotional images available at the time.

Yeah, I do that, too. I would never enter any of these contests, but I like to download all their high-res promo images that they make available to contestents - just in case it comes in handy.
          Ned Yeung, A.C.E.

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2015 Mediabistro Inc.