Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Sm1leKip
    Starting my graphic design career
    Sm1leKip
    Hello everyone!
    As you may have noticed I'm new here, so I just want to say that it is really great to be part of this amazing forum! But let's get to the point. I'm 13-years old boy and I'm really...
    Today, 08:25 PM
  • graphic91
    Reply to What do you think of my video game cover art?
    graphic91
    There are motion controls with alot of action, but I don't think that should change anything. His pose and the weapon he's holding shows it's an action game, right? And yeah, the original does look more...
    Today, 05:53 PM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to What do you think of my video game cover art?
    PrintDriver
    It's a Wii game. Are you just supposed to stand still when you play it or is it an "action" game?
    Your cover is a static pose. Compare it to the original. Which is more "exciting...
    Today, 05:42 PM
  • graphic91
    What do you think of my video game cover art?
    graphic91
    I made my own version of the cover art for the video game No More Heroes. It's not intended to be better or worse than the original artwork, but it might be helpful if you guys let me know if you find...
    Today, 02:52 PM
  • Lucifer
    Reply to Logo for a supplement company
    Lucifer
    I, personally, don't like the dumbbell idea. Check out ON and Dymatize. The dumbbell logo would look good if your client owned a gym.
    Today, 01:06 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Companies and contests

Companies sometimes throw contests like "Send your design of X with an interesting idea promoting our X and you can win X"

Why do they do that? Is that their designers run out of ideas? Or they just make someone from the company win and then use an idea someone sent (and didn't win)

I'm really curious.

It's the whole 'American Idol' type of idea.

They get the design from one of 'the people', to make themselves look more community-based. They also get mass-publicity for advertising the contest. Word of contests travel faster and cheaper than regular advertising. It's just another publicity stunt.

However, it's still spec-work, no matter what. The company may spend more money on advertising the contest than they would pay their own in-house designer(s), but for the poor schmuks who enter, there are still at least tens or hundreds of applicants producing work with no compensation.
    Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
    mediamainline.com
    cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

It's because they're cheap and cruel.
      It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Check the rules too. One of the big movie studios had a contest for a movie poster a couple years ago. And the one thing that I remember reading the fine print was that only 3 won various prizes, but the studio held copyright posession on all entries and could do with what they wanted. Several contests are worded as such. That was the first and last contest I looked into deeply. Though I still downloaded all their promotional images available at the time.

=)
        Jade

Comment

Yeah, I do that, too. I would never enter any of these contests, but I like to download all their high-res promo images that they make available to contestents - just in case it comes in handy.
          Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
          mediamainline.com
          cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
          Working...
          X