Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• salsa
    Reply to Happy Last Friday of July!!!!
    salsa
    Happy Friday! I'm going to have to go back and find some of these threads! LOL. How do I miss them? Is there a secret passageway to where all the good stuff is kept? It feels like high school all over...
    Today, 08:31 PM
  • Cosmo
    Comment on Please help with company logo
    Cosmo
    There is way too much going on. Think about that logo the size it needs to be on a business card. Will you still be able to make out all the different elements? Simplify, simplify, simplify.
    Today, 08:28 PM
  • Cosmo
    Comment on Please help with company logo
    Cosmo
    We are telling you what needs to be done to fix the problem. Unfortunately it's not as simple as "this wire has come loose" or "replace the motor".

When a client comes...
    Today, 08:26 PM
  • kemingMatters
    Comment on Company name help!
    kemingMatters
    CrE8v spelling for the sake of KrE-8f spelling isn't a distinction it's confusion, it's a business name not a personalized license plate.
    Today, 08:05 PM
  • Cosmo
    Comment on Company name help!
    Cosmo
    That's great in theory. But it's a pain in the ass when every time you call a vendor you have to spell your name to them. Our business had a clever name like that. It got old quick.
    Today, 07:53 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vector designs

I see these vector designs, and I think theyre pretty cool. Alone, I'm not really sure what they are used for, but some of the techniques can be implemented to accent other projects.

The main thing I'm wondering is... Is there a more efficient way to make the long line strokes that seem to change diameter without creating a shape with the pen tool and filling it in to get the change in thickness? Like is there some way I could just use the pen tool and create a path, then change the thinkness of the path at certian points? It is very hard to draw that many lines by making them shapes and filling them with a color. I hope this is clear. Any help on this kind of design technique would be appreciated. Thanks guys!
    Attached Files

You can, in theory, just use the pen tool to draw a single stroke with a weight roughly what you want the final thickness to be. Then outline it and adjust the anchor points manually. You have to be pretty comfortable with the direct selection and pen tools, but those are fairly easy to learn if you aren't already familiar with them.

I've used this method a few times with fairly decent success.
    I will grow old but I will never grow up.

Comment

Long thin lines like that aren't difficult. Its just one stroke with a pen tool

Comment

You can also use a custom brush to outline the stroke.

I would do it Shelle's way, though, for accuracy. Either that, or make an path, stroke it with the broad width you want, outline it, then make a copy (ALT/OPT-click and drag) of the path and position it where it'll cut off the path towards the thin end. Select both paths, and ALT/OPT-click on the Subtract icon in your pathfinder palette (second path should be on top).
        Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
        mediamainline.com
        cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

Here's another way you may want to try. Alows for Smooth transitions.
          Using elipses and some smooth shapes with box areas so you can "cut" them up.
          Last edited by Danger_Mouse; 06-26-2008, 03:19 PM.
          "You're just jealous because YOUR hat doesn't have a clock in it!"

Comment

Originally posted by activeseven
            Long thin lines like that aren't difficult. Its just one stroke with a pen tool
            I know how to draw a thin line. I'm trying to make that line change thickness a few times throughout the path smoothly...

Comment

Originally posted by Danger_Mouse
              I like that. i don't know why I didnt think of that. Thanks.

Comment

That's sort of what I was getting at, but you showed it much better.
                Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
                mediamainline.com
                cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

yeah I reread yours, does the same thing really. I just use the divide tool more.

Another trick I think is handy ....
                  Last edited by Danger_Mouse; 06-26-2008, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Yeah, that is very handy, DM. Thanks for sharing that!
                    Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
                    mediamainline.com
                    cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

you don't have to go into the pathfinder options everytime you do it either. Only everytime you restart illy.

Comment

yeah I reread yours, does the same thing really. I just use the divide tool more.

Another trick I think is handy ....
                        Maybe I'm missing something, but doesn't option+clicking "crop" achieve the same thing?

Comment

alot of those shapes that you posted in that pic are usually brushes you can download for photoshop. one trick I like to use is make a whole image of just brush shapes, posterize them in photoshop (or design them in black and white) place it in Illy CS2 and auto trace. Alot of those flowers and leaves are easily implemented. I could probably do that whole piece in under 20 minutes.
                          ‘Our great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is privately controlled. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated governments in the civilized world. No government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and duress of small groups of men.’ - Woodrow Wilson

Comment

Yeah, that would probably be the easiest way around that.

Myself, I would draw it in Illy, using symbols to avoid duplicating work.
                            Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
                            mediamainline.com
                            cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

I bought a dover ornament book.

the electronic files it comes with are pretty crappy, they arent vector. But you can enlarge them and use live trace, then smooth them out with the smooth pencil. its a pretty simple process, once you get it down it take no time at all. At first I thought this was a bust, but then I figured it out, now I can get almost all the ornaments out of it without a problem, I'd be willing to bet a good amount that books like these are one of the primary ways the pro's do it.
                              "To be is to do" --Socrates.
                              "To do is to be" --Jean-Paul Sartre.
                              "Do be do be do" --Frank Sinatra

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X