Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Judy Smith
    Reply to The ad I posted in classifieds was not posted
    Judy Smith
    On the post, I had linked to a thread on this forum, wherein someone advised me to post the term "volunteer" in the subject line of the classifieds section....
    Today, 03:33 AM
  • PanToshi
    Reply to First Time App Project Advice Needed
    PanToshi
    Welcome to GDF dude

We ask all new members to read the very important links here and here. These explain the rules and how the forum runs. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every...
    Today, 02:17 AM
  • BillyLogan
    Reply to Opinions on My Logo?
    BillyLogan
    Absolutely better. Just make sure the tag line's readable if you ever print it....
    Today, 01:47 AM
  • BillyLogan
    Reply to Custom social icons
    BillyLogan
    For me, customizing your own social media icons reflect creativity and imagination. However, it may tend to look less professional because of the artistry of some people. So if you have a corporate website,...
    Today, 01:40 AM
  • garricks
    Reply to The ad I posted in classifieds was not posted
    garricks
    Judy, the description of the sub forum reads:

Jobs and Paying projects.NO SPEC WORK OR CONTESTS! PAID WORK ONLY! IF IT'S NOT PAYING WORK DO NOT POST IT HERE!!! If you don't want the job,...
    Today, 12:49 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Me and two friends starting a business

Me and two friends/classmates are starting our own business. We'll start registering next week. There's some special rules for people under 18 starting a firm in Norway, but there's probably no restrictions we'll be having any problems with. I'll be the photographer/graphic designer, one of the other guys will be the web developer and the third one will assist us both. We'll be offering web, print and other design sollutions for people that don't want to spend all that much money on it. We like to think that we aren't too much worse than the real professionals, though.

That's the story, and what I wanted to ask is if you have any advice for us? Can be anything worth hearing that they don't teach us in school.
    http://pederklev.deviantart.com/gallery

Might be a good thread for the business section? Or not. This is something I'm beginning to look into myself.

Comment

Write everything down! Everything! Where you will work, when, what you will use, what you already bought, what you need to buy. EVERYTHING! Make contracts, CYA.
      Man who farts in church, sits in own pew.

Comment

Originally posted by cmont
        Write everything down! Everything! Where you will work, when, what you will use, what you already bought, what you need to buy. EVERYTHING! Make contracts, CYA.
        Work at home and at school (and take pictures at the customers places ofcourse), will use Notepad/DreamWeaver/PS/Illy/InDesign/PowerPoint/Canon 350d/Nikon d50, already bought everything we need, won't need to buy anything, got all the contacts we need for getting work. CU2.

Originally posted by reuber1
        Might be a good thread for the business section? Or not. This is something I'm beginning to look into myself.
        I don't know where it fits best, but obviously I choose this. I think it's more like general advice from professionals to beginners. I trust mods to correct me if I was wrong
        Last edited by peder; 09-29-2006, 02:45 PM.

Comment

wow dude, you got some A class photography skills there boyo!
          ok if i put a link to your gallery on my blog?
          The beginning is always today.

Comment

Thanks! And yeah, it's very OK!

Comment

I would suggest getting a formal contract between the three of you - what each of you is expected to contribute, what happens if someone wants to leave, rights on work produced etc, You never know what will happen once you start doing business together - professional relationships may not work as well as college ones! Good luck with it all though, I think its a great idea to go into business with like-minded people, its an instant support network for a start!

Comment

Originally posted by AbiJ
                I would suggest getting a formal contract between the three of you - what each of you is expected to contribute, what happens if someone wants to leave, rights on work produced etc, You never know what will happen once you start doing business together - professional relationships may not work as well as college ones! Good luck with it all though, I think its a great idea to go into business with like-minded people, its an instant support network for a start!
                could not agree more. Contracts of what's expected from each partner is essential, and what happens when someone wants to leave, therefore there is no question/battle/disagreement when the time comes.. its in writing and signed. Even the best of friends relationships can be soured when a partnership in a business goes south.. just a thought.. GL and yea dude your photography skills are mad, does it get you women?..
                Hip Hop just died this morning.

Comment

Hmm... It sounds like an idea. I'll suggest it to the other guys. Thanks!

aid4design: Not really None of the girls like it when the lens points in their direction.

Comment

Originally posted by peder
                    Hmm... It sounds like an idea. I'll suggest it to the other guys. Thanks!

aid4design: Not really None of the girls like it when the lens points in their direction.
                    That's when you start singing the lyrics to some lousy James Blunt song, and they'll "fall for you" (i.e., think you're creepy).

Comment

Take a few classes on accounting, business....etc. Also I agree with previous statements, get everything in writing with your friends.

Comment

^ I have far too much to do to attend any other classes than those in school. Remember that I'm just 17. Luckily my dad knows just about everything there is to know about accounting and firms (he teaches it in the university, and has a doctor's degree), so he'll help us with that. One of the rules for making a firm when you're under 18 in Norway is that you have a mentor, and my dad is going to be ours. Anyway, my point is that even though we suck at it, we're safe.

Comment

Talk about the money in detail. Where it comes from, where it goes. Why it goes. When it can come more and when you can keep it.

I hope your new business is stock photography, because you should be selling your photos.
                          Gene Cotton
                          Graphic Design And Web Development

Comment

Double thanks, genecotton!

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                            Working...
                            X