Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• duotone saving in photoshop opening in illustrator!!!?

I have produced a duotone using blackand pantone 2925c in photoshop cs2 saved it in all different formats. Placed in illustator cs2 to add with other black text and 2925c shapes, but when i place the select icon over part of the image it comes up in cmyk not a spot colour. Works fine with grayscale but its the duotone that is not coming through ok.

I have then saved this as an eps before sending it through distiller, then once at the printers they have problems with it coming out in five plates cmyk and 2925c. Can anyone help me before monday to solve this, and let me know at what stage I am donig something wrong and what I need to do to produce this leaflet in 2 colour black and 2925c and not the five plates that are coming through.

Sure it is something simple im doing wrong, but any help would be appriecated.

Kind Regards James

Make sure that the black you're using is not a "rich" black, which uses all the CMYK plates. Make it either 100% K or a pantone black.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by Virgo Nightingale
      Make sure that the black you're using is not a "rich" black, which uses all the CMYK plates. Make it either 100% K or a pantone black.
      it is pantone black already, the problem is when it goes to illustrator it shows up in cmyk, thats the area i need help on, but thanks anyway.

Comment

When you open it in Illustrator, do you get swatches for the colors you're using?

blog/portfolio

Comment

no i dont i get the cmyk composition but when i go over the monotone it is a black swatch but its the duotone i have problems with. Is it how im saving the duotone in photoshop do you think

Comment

in Illy I believe you have two options for working.... CMYK or RGB.
            I would create your Illy elements and take them to PShop as shapes to retain Dutones-ness.
            It's not about the world of design.
            It's about the design of the world.
            Massive Change

Comment

yes but i have both grey images and duotone images if i take them into the same area in photoshop the grey scale turns to duotone.

Just need help in someone saying how i can save my duotone and place it in illustrator to be printed on two plates i know it can be done, just need someone to help wit htat side of it.

Comment

Are you simply opening the duotone image in illustrator or placing it? I just tested a duotone image I've been working on - when you just open it in Illustrator, you won't get the spot swatches, but if you place the image, the swatches appear in the palette. I think Illustrator needs those swatches to know whether a particular color is spot or just process.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Is there some reason that you need to place the duotone into Illustrator?
                  IMHO you should be placing it into a layout application like InDesign, or
                  Quark, then placing the Illustrator elements into the same layout.

What format are you saving the duotone as? That might be an issue, too.

Comment

Placing duotones in Illustrator is fine for single sheet items doubting thomas. I think Virgo is right, as long as you're placing it as a duotone .eps (and not opening it) you should be fine.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

I have saved them as pdf eps tried all sorts. i have placed them not opened but when i run the mouse picker it comes up in cmyk not in the two colours i selected in photoshop and the colours i have been using for the rest of the document in illustrator

Comment

just tried importing the duotone but the eyedropper tool still shows that in the colour pallet still shows the cmyk percentages

Comment

Oh, the eye dropper won't pick out the pantones from a placed .eps duotone (because in most duotones there are "overlap" areas between the 2 colors used)

You can test your separations by printing separations (choose output under your print dialogue and select separations for mode.)

Or place the whole thing in InDesign where under separations preview you can see how it will separate for plates.
                          Last edited by Craig B; 09-29-2006, 07:48 PM.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

sounds good will try that a minute

Comment

If you were to use the eyedropper on a vector object that uses a spot color, the palette shows the percentage of just that spot color. But if I click on the image with the eyedropper, Illust. gives me the CMYK values of whatever pixel I land on, but I still have the swatches. As long as there's a swatch for it and the swatch says it's a spot color, that should do it.

Have you tried making separations to see what's on these extra plates? I've had instances where various programs have given me extra plates for colors I'm not using - but they're entirely blank. These projects have gone to the printer and come back with no issue. I just printed separations of my duotone image and only got the spot plates, so I'm not sure what else to tell you.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X