Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• PrintDriver
    Reply to Vendor Creative
    PrintDriver
    You had time to do the change and post here, but not time to pick up the phone and call the client?

I think if I was paying for something and it was changed by someone outside the company,...
    Today, 04:32 PM
  • hank_scorpio
    Reply to Are you able to read the text?
    hank_scorpio
    Picture should be someone enjoying themselves in a walking scene in a park or something, or playing with their kids.

Text over image should only be block text, paragraphs of text never w...
    Today, 04:15 PM
  • Cosmo
    Reply to Multiply, white background question. Must be a 1 minute answer?? Help!
    Cosmo
    You can change the opacity to multiply, but that's not the proper way to do it. If it's a logo, it should be created in Illustrator in vector form. That way there is no background to worry about, and...
    Today, 03:46 PM
  • EvaldasT
    Reply to Is graphic design for me?
    EvaldasT
    Well, I am really passionate to learn, I have been excited about digital arts since young age and learned most of the things by myself and I thought that uni will teach me some industry stuff, but it...
    Today, 03:40 PM
  • GDGD
    Reply to Vendor Creative
    GDGD
    And sometimes they brand the creative, in this case, they did. What I changed was layout of the text and images. The branding and legalese stayed exactly the same....
    Today, 03:37 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CMYK vs. Pantone to PDF

I've been told that I can use either CMYK or Pantone and that it will merge down in the eps or PDF that I create.

That doesn't fly with me at all.

Since we have digital printers I've been trying to do everything in CMYK. No problem for me.

But now there's an in house job that has a combination of Pantone and CMYK colors and somewhere it's picking up a control color in Corel Draw as well. We are about to print a proof on Monday/Tuesday of our new 15 page catalog/brochure.

My monitor is so ancient - it thinks red is brown (yes, I've tried umpteen different settings in adobe gamma, programs and on the monitor itself, no go). So matching on screen is less than useless. I do have a very large CMYK chart to reference, but I fille like an office monkey going back and forth between chart and computer. I should have new equipment within the next 3 months. Yeah for me being technical director too. Until then, I bring in my laptop to do any color conversion.

So is it best to just forget about the whole pantone palettes and stick to CMYK or does the process converting to EPS or PDF really make the whole point moot, as according to a coworker whose only worked in wide format digital print?

=)
    Jade

It really depends on the pantone color. Some translate with virtually no change. Others will be completely different.

Comment

This was along the same lines as the problems I was having. What we ultimately realized is two things.
      1. If it's being printed in CMYK make sure that all color swatches are set to process. (We had a spot color next to a process color with identical CMYK values and saw occasional huge color differeences. Not to mention transparency problems).
      2. The spot color values listed in the standard Adobe Suite don't match the color bridge values. An updated pallete can be found at pantone.com. (Unfortunately we are still using the spot to process books from like 5 years ago, so the values don't quite match our book either.)
      Hope that helps.
      Former GD. Current Photographer
      http://ascottmccauley.com/

Comment

Figured as much. So I'll do my own thing. The catalog is off to the printers. The proof turned out ok, just turned the middle grey bar silver for some reason or another, but we like the effect. All other colors and photos are bright and beautiful.

I'll be posting the PDF to the website tomorrow, if anyone is interested.
        http://magnumgraphix.com

Now back to work on the site. yeah Flash!

Comment

Not true. We print spot colour (and spot + CMYK) jobs all the time that come to us as pdfs.
          It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

If you are printing to a digital press you will probably want to use Pantones. They translate to PDF just fine. This will make the color very consistent.However,the Pantone may not be perfect. The newest RIPS for digital have spot color editors in their utility software that allows for tweaking the recipies to allow for paper whiteness and engine calibration. This makes spots the way to go.

e

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
            Working...
            X