This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Danger Mouse,

First off, never underestimate the doodle. In fact, I agree with Danny Gregory (a guru on drawing) that the essence of pure drawing is pure observation and doodles go a long way to getting into that same head space. A distracted mind is a key point of doodling--it's like so many other 'controlled' expressions: singing, dancing, swinging a golf club, playing an instrument. The more relaxed you are, the more expressive and happier you'll be with whatever instrument you're using. It's your conscious brain that creates the most static.

Von Glitschka is another big doodle advocate. He actually has created a Doodle website complete with downloaded 'contribute a doodle' type campaing graphics.

I'll see if I can dig that site url up. Here it is! doodlearchive.com

Check it out.

As for my doodles? I'll try to remember to throw something in here tomorrow. My dialup home connection isn't worth the wait.

Great topic. Hope it holds.

Comment

I totally agree with you Broacher, but if I kept every doodle I ever did I would have to open a library, rent the space etc etc. They are a dime a dozen to me, and I KNOW I have thrown out some great ideas. They only seem to survive in a sketchbook, if just on a piece of paper I can pretty much kisss them goodbye.
      Almost all of my paintings and drawings (non digital) have originated from a doodle like the one I posted.

My avatar started out as a doodle, then I scanned and broughtinto Illly.

I could literally post a doodle page a day, yesterdays was actually light in comparison to a normal day....always depends how much I am on the phone. Its my subconscious that takes over. Had a workmate who is perplexed how I can hold a steady phone conversation, while crosshatching or shading a simple doodle.

To me its like breathing.
      "You're just jealous because YOUR hat doesn't have a clock in it!"

Comment

I know what you mean about the saving thing. But that's why we have scanners. In fact, one of the nifty new things about the new copier/printer we have is the ability to scan directly to a PDF file which is then accessible online. Some day I'm gonna empty a few boxes under my desk...

And since prediential politics is in the news right now, here's a link to an NPR story on presidential doodles: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=6118892

Oh, and as promised... one of mine.
        Attached Files

Comment

doubting thomas: That's exactly what my notepad looks like. Full of numbers and font names.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Thanks for that Broacher, great sketch.

I am not as interested in what people use as Notepads as much as creative doodles.
            I don't count writing down font names etc as being a doodle. Stickman sketches yes, scribbles shapes etc. But just writing and jotting down notes to me isn't doodling, its notetaking. Big diff....not to say they can't be combined, just not very interesting to see your grocery list and bill payments etc ...as it is to see maybe a doodle of your grocery list.\

ps nice stuff virgo!

Comment

One of mine - riding the meatball into the sunset - don't ask - I can't remember why I drew it now.

Comment

Originally posted by Danger_Mouse
                Thanks for that Broacher, great sketch.

I am not as interested in what people use as Notepads as much as creative doodles.
                I don't count writing down font names etc as being a doodle. Stickman sketches yes, scribbles shapes etc. But just writing and jotting down notes to me isn't doodling, its notetaking. Big diff....not to say they can't be combined, just not very interesting to see your grocery list and bill payments etc ...as it is to see maybe a doodle of your grocery list.\

ps nice stuff virgo!
                I don't count those things as doodles either. I guess I'm just lamenting that I don't doodle as much as I used to in high school Spanish class. I do doodle at my other job - I waitress on Saturdays, and the lunches can be booooring... I draw eyeballs, cups of tea, fruity still lives, other food scenes....
                ps- Thank you!

blog/portfolio

Comment

nice balou! I just love rough sketches.

Comment

LOL, balou. Oh stop. I've always wanted to ride a meatball off into the sunset.
                    Less be more.

Comment

Love it! (wow, talk about saddle sore potential!)
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Bob; 11-09-2006, 09:58 AM.

Comment

great thread! I'll see if I can find some of mine here someplace!
                        "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

awesome Morea...I know there are alot more people in here that do this sort of thing, eager to see the results!!

Comment

if I only had a scanner....

love that meatball balou
                            In this post there are 47 people, none of them can be seen.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

haha here's mine. didn't know what i was thinking while on the phone.
                                Attached Files
                                we do what we like, and we like what we do

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                                Working...
                                X