Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• <b>
    Reply to Typographic Experiment for a School Project
    <b>
    Looks nice, but it's hard to read. How big of a problem the legibility issue might be might depend on the rest of the booklet.
    Today, 08:59 PM
  • <b>
    Reply to Designing for large companies
    <b>
    Yeah, I agree with PrintDriver, you'd be running headfirst into intellectual property violations. Big consumer-oriented companies, like the two you mentioned, have a serious interests in controlling their...
    Today, 08:49 PM
  • <b>
    Comment on Mentor or college degree?
    <b>
    I did briefly look at them, which is why I said what I did. It really does depend on what you want from life.

Both seem like good schools, but they're very different in both size, focus,...
    Today, 07:32 PM
  • misplacedVTer
    Reply to Mentor or college degree?
    misplacedVTer
    A PHD in graphic design is kind of a running joke between a few of my design buddies and I. Like it has been mentioned above, choose based on the body of work coming from students in a program, not what...
    Today, 07:23 PM
  • mcmc13
    Reply to Pantone, CMYK question for printing using Illustrator CS6
    mcmc13
    Thanks for all the great input. How do you determine Lab values? I did call my printing companies, neither has mentioned providing lab values yet. Both have confirmed capability to print in Pantone....
    Today, 07:22 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portfolio Question

I was recently discussing with some friends the use of a personal photo on freelancer's websites involved in creative fields; such as graphic designers, illustrators, designer, architects, artists, etc... Some say it brings some of your personality to the prospective client and makes you real, others said it was a vain idea and equated it to the giant realitor billboards with some cheeseball glamour shot of someone that you would never want to see their face standing 6 feet tall.
    I was interested to hear what some of you thought about this issue. Is it a pro/con/doesn't matter?

I wouldn't.

Fact is, people discriminate. Gender? Race? Age? Appearance?
    Maybe it's not as blatant as that, but you can't really be too careful.

The fact that I'm paranoid doesn't mean that the world ISN'T out to get me...
    "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

I agree with Mo on the photo part. But I think a illustration would be great, like mine for instance The only thing people get out of that is that I'm male, but then if they see my name they'll get that as well. I figure if someone is going to discriminate like that I probably don't want to work for them or do business with them anyway.

But yeah, glamor photos are for realitors and newscasters.
      "Every facet, every department of your mind is to be programmed by you, and unless you assume your rightful responsibility, and begin to program your own mind, the world will program it for you."

Comment

That was my opinion as well. Thanks

Comment

Oh HELL no pat, I only hire red-headed designers, not green-haired ones.

Yeah, most of the time realtor's photos on business cards look tacky.
          "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

I know, they are SUPER tacky, but now it's the norm. Some of them would get more business if they didn't have their pic. I especially love the husband and wife teams, ladies with thier poodles, and most of all the 'rest your chin on your fist" pose:

And this one has a bevel for empasis! Must have been a REAL designer.
            "Every facet, every department of your mind is to be programmed by you, and unless you assume your rightful responsibility, and begin to program your own mind, the world will program it for you."

Comment

I have always been baffled by large headshots on billboards. I have yet to see a realitor on a billboard that actually attractive, most of the time it I usually cringe and look the other way. This has been a running joke with my wife that my next marketing campaign will be a large billboard of me with index finger and thumb to my chin looking distinguished.

Comment

Illustrations are good if they fit in with the style of design of our portfolio.

I've never seen a business card with a photo that looks good. Cheesey IMO.
                It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Perhaps we could just use avitars since they seem to be used freely! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by patkennedy78
                    I know, they are SUPER tacky, but now it's the norm. Some of them would get more business if they didn't have their pic. I especially love the husband and wife teams, ladies with thier poodles, and most of all the 'rest your chin on your fist" pose:

And this one has a bevel for emphasis! Must have been a REAL designer.
                    That's creepy.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

Buck this trend and do not add these photos to your web sites or business cards.
                      Broke or just cheap? Read my list of free open source alternatives to Adobe Creative Suite software.

Comment

Should we start a website like the "ban comic sans site"?

That way we can direct clients to it when they want their portrait on their card.
                        It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Realtors are the worst for having their pictures on business cards... As well as in display ads, and everything. I never knew Real Estate was so akin to modelling.

Personally, I do have a picture on my website, on my "contact us" page, but I would never put one (self-illustration aside) on a business card, resume, or any such stationary.

I believe that company reports should always sport staff pictures, though. Some brochures can also make good use of them - if not a staff picture, then a picture of the facility is good.
                          Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
                          mediamainline.com
                          cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

I think that having your photo on your site can only hurt you. If the work is good it will speak for itself. A photo can only give people a reason not to hire you- it can be a case of demographic discrimination or you might just remind them of their ex.

Would love to see the photos that that blonds relator rejected!
                            "Those who master others are strong; those who master themselves have true power."

-Lao Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by Kinkaid
                              Would love to see the photos that that blonds relator rejected!
                              Heh... Yeah, if that's the best she's got... lol
                              Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
                              mediamainline.com
                              cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X