Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• jessica21
    Steampunk Tea Brand Logo Critique- Trying to choose final concept
    jessica21
    Hello All,

Background:
    I am making a logo for my boyfriend's tea company, Starlight Tea. It sells high quality loose leaf tea, will have a website, and be in a local cafe (it's more...
    Today, 05:52 AM
  • Buda
    How to cut down on meetings?
    Buda
    I have a client who I am going to design a book for. I met with her about 4-5 months ago to discuss. She emails me each month to tell me she hasn't advanced any further on the project. She's been overseas...
    Today, 05:25 AM
  • skribe
    Reply to Crisp web graphics, how?
    skribe
    It sounds to me like you are hitting a retina issue. When I look at your site the graphics look fine to me on my 25" monitor. I just googled "SquareSpace Retina Support" and quickly...
    Today, 05:24 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to First job out of college, totally overwhelmed and need advice
    Buda
    I have to add, please ask questions if you are unsure. Even confirmation is good so that you know you are on track.

I have a junior designer that never asks questions. He just battles through...
    Today, 04:38 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Crisp web graphics, how?
    Buda
    I agree with b, make the images the size you require, then save for web choosing a fairly high setting if that is important to you.
    Today, 04:34 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Measurement tool

I think this was used back in the day - do any of you use one of these? It's plastic and see through so you can put it on top of printed material to measure.

I'd never seen it until I started my job at a printers. It's very handy - you can use it to figure out what pt size printed type is, line width in mm as well as points. I couldn't work without it now.

What is it called?

Last edited by Buda; 11-21-2006, 02:53 AM.
    It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

Yup, I used to use one of those all the time a very long time ago. Now I use a Schaedler ruler for rule weights and measurements. Generally I'll figure out the point size by just measuring the cap height, the cap height is usually about 3/4's the point size, depending on the font. I always have a separate one that measures linescreens.
    "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

With the crazy fonts out there these days point size to cap height is becoming increasingly irrelevant. I have one of those things. It's languishing away in my taboret drawer at home. They don't make one big enough for the work I do. LOL! <Or, if they do, I don't want it in my office!>

Comment

haha I have one too...its now just a ruler. They also make a good slapping noise when used on a bum.

Before computers revolutionized the industry this was a handy tool (when layout and paste up was all by hand). After a while you would get good at recognizing sizes without using it. It was a running game in our office.

kidding...I am not into that bum slappin' stuff.
        Last edited by Danger_Mouse; 11-21-2006, 11:19 AM.
        "You're just jealous because YOUR hat doesn't have a clock in it!"

Comment

Gee I feel bad.

Whenever I need to recreate something, I just chuck it on the scanner. Do a line-art scan at 200dpi, and put it in the background of my job as a 20% tint and draw/type over it. This keeps everything exact, and as you enlarge the font to suit you can see what size was used.
          I love humanity. I just hate people.
          Botchup Workplace Tip #42: Do ALL your #2's at work. Not only do you save on TP, but you're getting paid to do it!

Comment

Originally posted by budafist

What is it called?

An E-scale? Or at least that's what I've heard them called - because they usually use the letter E for guaging point size.
            . . . in bed

(.)(.)™

You can fry an egg on the devil's hiney, but it ain't never gonna come out sunny-side up, A-men!

Comment

I guess one of those wouldn't work nowadays when designers send type scaled to 34.65pt...

Comment

Left-brain
                i recall an E-scale as well

don't think i've seen that nifty all-in-one delio that buda is referring too.

damn, either would be handy for me these days...
                my OLD printshop had 'em...

anyone know where the fluff you'd purchase one of those?

Comment

yup, e-scale. I used it everyday when i was a typesetter
                  www.jackiecreative.com

People who live in glass houses sink ships.

Comment

Technically, I used to call this: 'my precious'

Comment

i think we got one of those with Corel7
                      www.standercreative.com

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver
                        I guess one of those wouldn't work nowadays when designers send type scaled to 34.65pt...
                        Horizontally scaled to 101.561% and vertically scaled to 93.29%. Ugh. That crap just drives me up the wall. Fifty years ago we'd have those people upside down with a pancaking fork up their @$$. But they can talk, they can talk, they're brave now mother------. Throw their a--es out. They're comic sans lovers! They're comic sans lovers! They're comic sans lovers!
                        . . . in bed

(.)(.)™

You can fry an egg on the devil's hiney, but it ain't never gonna come out sunny-side up, A-men!

Comment

My name is Bob. And I've used Comic Sans. And I have for years.

I keep copies of Comic Sans on small floppies, hidden around the house. There's one in my toilet tank. Two in my sex-toy closet.

I have a problem.

And it's nothing to do with not enough toys.

Comment

Originally posted by rainbow2bryte
                            anyone know where the fluff you'd purchase one of those?
                            I couldn't work without one now - we've only 2 in our office, so we tried to buy some more but no one sells them. I guess you could just design your own one and print it out on transparency right?

Maybe I'll do that one of these days - could be a great giveaway product - cheap to reproduce too!
                            It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Originally posted by Broacher
                              Technically, I used to call this: 'my precious'
                              I tend to guard my one very closely too.

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X