Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• PrintDriver
    Reply to Project Ideas. HELP!
    PrintDriver
    if you can only use typography, you can't use "bars".
    In these days of the NSA, militarized police and riots, the word "rights" and the American flag could be construed negatively....
    Today, 10:56 AM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to Logo design for Game Developer
    PrintDriver
    You didn't read the earlier answers in your other thread did you.
    That dragon logo is owned.
    http://www.kali.org/

Swiping something off the web and incorporating it into your...
    Today, 10:49 AM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to Whose logo is this?
    PrintDriver
    You didn't read the earlier answers in your other thread did you.
    That dragon logo is owned.
    http://www.kali.org/

Swiping something off the web and incorporating it into your...
    Today, 10:48 AM
  • StudioMonkey
    Reply to Print image quality
    StudioMonkey
    I usually find that a printed sample of the pic at the size to be used will win the argument. At least then if they insist on using it they can't say they didn't know it was going to be so bad. If your...
    Today, 10:18 AM
  • p.cabral
    Reply to Flyer Critique
    p.cabral
    More comments anyone?
    Today, 08:16 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pantone reflex blue c to cmyk conversion

Hi guys, I have a brochure with a reflex blue background and will be sending it to press today. Problem is that the color shifts terribly when converting to cmyk.

Does anyone have a Pantone color bridge cmyk number for reflex blue?

Thanks a bunch,

Tony

I don't, sorry. Someone will come along with one. I bet it turned more purple than blue. We've knocked down the magenta and increased the black to match in the past.
    WYSIWYG

Comment

Reflex cannot be made into cmyk at all. in the bridge book the change is very very drastic. What are you printing it to? If its done on a copier with a decent rip, fiery e7000 or someting then you will get kind of close and can tweak it. otherwise you might be out of luck

steve

Comment

I called the printer, he gave me another Pantone number (7462) but that was too far off from what I wanted.

Man I thought reflex blue was a pretty common color, I know that in thermography and screen printing it is.

I have used a Pantone 281 before for business cards, it's darker than reflex, but came out good, I may use that. The customer is not too picky and the images on the brochure pop a little more with the darker blue anyway.

My main line of work has been websites, but I do a lot of 4/0 business cards and some 11 x 17 brochures. I'm gonna invest in the Pantone color bridge for sure.

Thanks guys!

Comment

In my last job our corporate colour was Reflex Blue. That and seven million other businesses I guess. And our ink supplier told us that it's the number one spot ink sold in North America. And no, as far as taking it into CMYK... as the old farmer once said, you can't get there from here!

Comment

Don't rely on your screen. The number the printer gave you may print correctly depending on how he's printing and what he's printing on. Ask for a proof. We swap colors out all the time like that (I might have told you 2755). Looks like ass on the screen but prints perfect on the material.

Of course, see disclaimer below...

Comment

You could always try to take a CMYK sample of the color in the application
              your using and see what that yeilds. A custom CMYK swatch could then be
              used or tweeked to look right on your end. You can't really make the conversion
              perfect I don't think. Another more costly option would be to run the job as
              CMYK + Reflex on press. IMHO that's the best way to match Reflex on press.

Comment

Can't you find out the CKMY of Reflex Blue if you convert the document into CKMY color? I always thought InDesign converted the pantone colors for you when you double clicked on a color to look at its percentages.
                Broke or just cheap? Read my list of free open source alternatives to Adobe Creative Suite software.

Comment

>>Can't you find out the CKMY of Reflex Blue if you convert the document into CKMY color?<<

Colour conversions are a bit like religious ones: most commonly there's a death bed nearby. One of the reasons we still have spot colour inks is because they can cover colours that CMYK mixes can't.

Comment

So there is no other blue color in the Bridge that matches a Coated Reflex Blue chip (or uncoated as the case may be)? Not that even that swap would work. Not all cmyk printing is the same.
                    <No I don't have a Bridge. It is the work of the Devil.>

Comment

Originally posted by SurfPark
                      Can't you find out the CKMY of Reflex Blue if you convert the document into CKMY color?
                      If the color you want to use is out of the CMYK gamut, you can forget it. And don't forget that most printers are only a subset of the CMYK gamut... Spot color is the only way to match precisely in that case.
                      Annie
                      ...I've wrestled with reality for thirty-five years, and I'm happy, Doctor; I finally won out over it!

Comment

at my last job they used C-100, M-70, Y-0, K-0 for our Reflex Blue substitute. it was mainly printed on newsprint though.
                        Dribbble Page
                        Behance Portfolio
                        Linkedin Profile

Comment

It usually depends on the type of printing, but Reflex Blue will come out purple no matter how you slice it. I used to work in pre-press for a commercial printer. Flexo and screen and we always needed to call out Reflex as a spot color because it never looks the same in CMYK.

I tell me students that if they are printing something CMYK to keep that in mind throughout the entire project. Using spots can create confusion and extreme frustration when you have put so much time and effort into it.

Good luck finding your solution.

Comment

This is correct. Just like any spot to convert you try to come close as possible. That's why on reflex blue when trying to build, you reduce the magenta to remove the purple cast and increase the black to make up for the reduced magenta. Increasing the black will bring it back up to a dark blue but it will never match the spot exactly. You just try to get there as close as possible. Even yellow can be fooled with to achieve a closer match.
                            Last edited by jimking; 12-22-2006, 05:34 PM.
                            WYSIWYG

Comment

Jim, can you guys chart? I mean, all this fooling around with Bridge and with mixes. If you ran a PMS chart on the paper you print to, wouldn't it make it easier to find equivalents (ya, so it takes about 30 sheets of 8.5x11). We just do that and plop in the color number that does match, when it's not completely out of gamut, and keep on trucking. Of course, 'plop' is a relative term sometimes easier said than done (#@$% Adobe Illustrator).

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X