Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• KitchWitch
    Reply to Creative Suite and upgrading
    KitchWitch
    I'm on CS6 (not cloud) at work and I can still open old Pagemaker files. They aren't pretty, but it works.
    Today, 05:51 PM
  • PrintDriver
    PrintDriver
    You will be able to open all your CS2 files. Just be wary.

You might have trouble going from Illustrator CS2 to CS6. If you have any clipping paths in images placed in Illustrator that aren't...
    Today, 05:51 PM
  • kemingMatters
    kemingMatters
    I would look out for changes in text flow, effects being dropped, things like rounded corners going screwy when opening in CS6, the largest jump I've done is an indd created in CS3 opened with CS6. Plus...
    Today, 05:36 PM
  • UncleWally
    UncleWally
    In theory it should still work; however I might recommend double checking with Adobe just to be save.
    Today, 05:15 PM
  • Casseopia
    Creative Suite and upgrading
    Casseopia
    OK - before I ask you guys a question, I have to admit to something so terrible, so heinous, that you might just walk away shaking your head... Before you do - please try and help me with this question....
    Today, 05:04 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does InDesign Paginate

Hello,

Im currently trying to learn Indesign can anyone tell me if InDesign CS2 can paginate for books.

Many thanks James

under file > new, you can create a new book. this will bring up a new book document (.indb) and the books palette which helps to control the pagination. also, in the help files, try searching for pagination. in addition, the aodbe website has info on it as well, as well as links to third-party plug-ins that offer further pagination controls.
    Remember: Wherever you go, there you are.

Comment

but if this is going to a commercial printer, please call first. You don't know how many files I get that are paginated because someone was trying to do me a favor. Most printers have pagination programs they prefer to use.
      People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Comment

very true, and sorry i didn't say that. usually, unless you're producing the book yourself in-house, it's something better left to the professionals. sorry 'bout that, rick.

Comment

Yes they have the old pagemaker, but they want to go forward from there to indesign, but want to know if i can paginate pages in indesign.

Comment

pagemaker? i thought we were talking about indesign. yes, you can paginate from indesign. yes, you can paginate a book from indesign. there are controls that will help you. search for "pagination" or "page numbering" in the indesign help.

but follow the advice rick gave and call the printer you'll be working with. most, if not all, would prefer to do it themselves. less chance for error on the backend there.

Comment

Check out the last three InDesigner video podcasts, which cover book creation in InDesign. They're at www.indesignsecrets.com.

Comment

You can also use Inbooklet in Indesign. It's the last option under File.
                It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Any idea how to create printer spreads using an indb files? The only way I see to do it (and doesn't work) is to open the individual chapters and use Inbooklet and do each chapter individually. There has to be an easier way.

When I try to create a pdf using the book pallete I get some pages as spreads and others as singler pages... any ideas?
                  switch-design.com

your mad smiley is totally uncalled for

Comment

i haven't touched it in a while but thought that InBooklet can create ... wait, now i am thinking i had to copy all pages from each chapter into a full book and then inbooklet it to work properly but it was a tight deadline and I was the only one using InDesign at the time. sorry for no real help here.
                    Dribbble Page
                    Behance Portfolio
                    Linkedin Profile

Comment

Originally posted by BJMRGTIVR6
                      i haven't touched it in a while but thought that InBooklet can create ... wait, now i am thinking i had to copy all pages from each chapter into a full book and then inbooklet it to work properly but it was a tight deadline and I was the only one using InDesign at the time. sorry for no real help here.
                      That's the conclusion I'm coming up with as well, that in order to use InBooklet I need to essentially copy all the pages from the different chapters into one InDesign File. But there has to be a better way... I mean what the hell is the point of using the book feature if it cannot create printer spreads with creep etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
                      switch-design.com

Comment

let us know if you get it working and how.
                        Dribbble Page
                        Behance Portfolio
                        Linkedin Profile

Comment

InBooklet (which comes with ID CS2) will handle basic saddle stitch booklet creation pretty well-- at least as well, actually better than PageMaker did. And faster. And if they want more than that, there's the option to purchase a full feature imposition plugin from the same publisher of this free plugin.

But personally, if you're getting into that, I'd sooner let the printer handle it.

Another option is QuiteImposing, a plugin for Acrobat that handles complex impositioning tasks quite well, but is also $$$. (www.quite.com)

Comment

I'm suprised InDesign doesn't have a feature where after creating a book you can consolidate that book into 1 file.
                            switch-design.com

Comment

have you checked the option in the books palete that says repaginate? does that do it?

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X