This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mortimer.... I love it.

Yeah Silence I am loving my tablet. I have named it Walter.
    CNIC - noun [see - nick]
    1. An American "nick" name for me to use on the GDF.
    2. Designer, Developer, Carpenter, Painter, Sexy... just plain sexy.
    3. One that does not like green eggs and ham. Seriously, I have very strict breakfast rules.
    For more on CNIC, see the unabridged collegiate dictionary. Or call the President.

Comment

Well Cnic ... I don't have anything nearly close to what you have in just 2 days

Comment

I use my Intenuos3 6x8 quite a bit but I find it hard to sketch with. The way the pen touches the pad are just too slippery to me and my hand slides around when I just want to make a a good solid line. I'm left handed too.
        Anyone have any tips on how to make this thing more freehand sketch friendly? I use Photoshop and Painter. Any other tips other than the basic white one? I can use it if I zoom way in and really take my time.

I used to be a cartoonist and though I love the tablet, I can still do way better with paper, pencil, and ink.

Comment

gee, I dont know. I havent really had to deal with any really fine super straight lines yet. I just got my wacom and I am still learning it. Maybe you could you the line tool for stuff like that...???

hmmm.. I guess I preffer the easy stroke across the Wacom. Maybe you could look for a different type of tip for the pen you have. ?? I would check with Wacom.

CNIC - noun [see - nick]
          3. One that does not like green eggs and ham. Seriously, I have very strict breakfast rules.
          For more on CNIC, see the unabridged collegiate dictionary. Or call the President.

Comment

Originally posted by cnic
            Here is a sketch from today....
            You've done some beautiful sketches there, especially being new to the tablet interface!

The nose on this one reminded me of the Gerald Scarfe art at the begining of the tv series "Yes Minister". He was the artist who did the early art work for Pink Floyd, like the album cover for the Wall.

at best my spelling *and grammar* is crap and at worst it are be carp

Comment

Hey thanks frank!!
              CNIC - noun [see - nick]

Comment

cnic, what program are you using?

Comment

Just PS 7. ???

CNIC - noun [see - nick]

Comment

Originally posted by Kesh
                    I use my Intenuos3 6x8 quite a bit but I find it hard to sketch with. The way the pen touches the pad are just too slippery to me and my hand slides around when I just want to make a a good solid line. I'm left handed too.
                    Anyone have any tips on how to make this thing more freehand sketch friendly? I use Photoshop and Painter. Any other tips other than the basic white one? I can use it if I zoom way in and really take my time.

I used to be a cartoonist and though I love the tablet, I can still do way better with paper, pencil, and ink.
                    I know what you mean about the pad being too slippery, I like the feel of pencil to paper, what I do sometimes. I put a thin piece of paper on top and it really helps. But I still generally sketch on paper and paint on the comp.

Just PS 7. ???
                    Check out Sketchbook Pro, You can get a trial version off the site:
                    http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...&siteID=123112

Comment

Originally posted by falldowngoboom
                      I had a teacher back in college that made everybody sick at how good he as with a tablet... He would start off with nothing and even in just a half an hour he put as all to shame... he does great work... he's worked on a lot of big name illustrations.

http://www.gangus.net/workshop.htm
                      http://gangus.cgsociety.org/gallery/

I'd love to be half as good as him... Maybe one day... just maybe!
                      Wow, I love that guy's work! I just saw a bunch of it this year playing Marvel Ultimate Alliance. What school was he teaching at?
                      wieNerDog

Comment

and I finished it up this evening.... Someone give this guy a name....
                        Cnic, thanks for starting this thread. I'd a good inspiration to keep that Wacom from gathering dust and hopefully expand my illustration portfolio.

I LOVE the style of illustration you're using. Would you be able to post some intermediate-stage screenshots? I'm interested in seeing how you're doing the smooth gradients of color. Do you start with flat areas of a base color and build up for highlights?

Also, do you do anything special with your brushes when painting in Photoshop? Do you use textures and what-not, or just straight-up colors and building up colors, etc.?

I bought an Inuos 3 4x6 for my widescreen monitor, but I haven't practiced with it enough lately. I find it hard to use for precise vector work, and haven't been doing much bitmap stuff lately. Once my portfolio site is complete, I plan on getting back into illustrating again, and will definitely post samples here.

I have to experiment with my Intuos and the different tips to figure out what they do.

I also find it very difficult to do work with the tablet on my desk because I have a hutch desk with a keyboard pull-out drawer, and when working in Photoshop, I like to use the key shortcuts a lot. I can't seem to comfortably fit a keyboard and tablet on my desk surface, and find it cumbersome.

Do I need a really large desk surface to make digital illustrating more functional?
                        wieNerDog

Comment

Originally posted by wienerdog
                          Wow, I love that guy's work! I just saw a bunch of it this year playing Marvel Ultimate Alliance. What school was he teaching at?
                          He used to teach at St. Clair College, in Windsor, Ontario, Canada. Had him for a few years and he worked freelance on the side at that point, until he got the offer to work for Raven Soft. Seems like a sweet job, he loved video games too.

Comment

Originally posted by falldowngoboom
                            Do many people use a tablet in Illustrator (or the like) for drawing? I've never used it just use the pen tool to trace my scanned work. Never really tried using a tablet. Just wondering... thanks
                            Of course, used to do my old comics with Wacom/Illy all the time, and I also did some cartooning for a freelance client's site recently. Wacom has a tutorial for pressure sensitive Illustrator inking/drawing on their site somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by wienerdog
                              I LOVE the style of illustration you're using. Would you be able to post some intermediate-stage screenshots? I'm interested in seeing how you're doing the smooth gradients of color. Do you start with flat areas of a base color and build up for highlights?

Also, do you do anything special with your brushes when painting in Photoshop? Do you use textures and what-not, or just straight-up colors and building up colors, etc.?
                              Hey "dog", seems wierd to say, Hey Wiener... haha.

Thanks for the great compliments! They are very encouraging. I dooooo in fact start with some base color and work it up to Highlights, then drop in the darker and lighter details. I will post some "in progress" shots on the next thing I come up with.

So far, (as I am still learning) I have pretty much been staying with the same brush, just changing size, opacity, and flow. I drop the opacity and flow down to blend more smoothly. It has worked out well thus far. I have tried using the smudge tool a couple of times... but not alot. The only time I used a different brush was for the stuble on that guys face. Wanted to get that speckled look.

So mostly just "straight up colors and building up colors. (I guess)

I am blessed with a pretty large desk area. And the Intuos that I have offers the additional buttons on the pad, so I havent had to use my Keybord much while drawing/painting.

Thanks again .... you little Wiener. Ha!

CNIC - noun [see - nick]

Comment

Hey "dog", seems wierd to say, Hey Wiener... haha.

Thanks for the great compliments! They are very encouraging. I dooooo in fact start with some base color and work it up to Highlights, then drop in the darker and lighter details. I will post some "in progress" shots on the next thing I come up with.

So far, (as I am still learning) I have pretty much been staying with the same brush, just changing size, opacity, and flow. I drop the opacity and flow down to blend more smoothly. It has worked out well thus far. I have tried using the smudge tool a couple of times... but not alot. The only time I used a different brush was for the stuble on that guys face. Wanted to get that speckled look.

So mostly just "straight up colors and building up colors. (I guess)

I am blessed with a pretty large desk area. And the Intuos that I have offers the additional buttons on the pad, so I havent had to use my Keybord much while drawing/painting.

Thanks again .... you little Wiener. Ha!

What is the difference between changing the flow of a brush and changing the opacity?
                                wieNerDog

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                                Working...
                                X