Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Cosmo
    Reply to EFI printers? Anyone have any experience?
    Cosmo
    We saw one run at a place we visited a few months back. It was running board (which is the vast majority of what we would be running) and we were very happy with what was coming off of it as well as the...
    Today, 12:10 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Moving text background
    KitchWitch
    Hi Fstenbergp and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
    Today, 11:57 AM
  • fstenbergp
    Moving text background
    fstenbergp
    Hello GDF!

I would like to make some moving effects on the attached file if you may say so.

What I am wishing to do is create a perfect looping gif, where the text moves in...
    Today, 11:53 AM
  • skribe
    Reply to how got project of graphic designing
    skribe
    Welcome design square!

As you are a new member please take a few minutes and read though our rules and guidelines for new members. The following links should get you up to speed.
    Today, 11:27 AM
  • Kim
    Reply to How to start a proffesional "Name-Label-stickers" business?
    Kim
    Thanks for your time and answers.

As I said, I am COMPLETELY new and know nothing about how to make name labels and what equipment to use for this purpose.
    Do anybody know a guide...
    Today, 10:10 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I should mention, as did that review I posted -- the pen on a tablet pc is nowhere as sophisticated or as smooth as a Cintiq or Intuos. There's only 512 levels of pressure, for example. Myself... I've hardly noticed the difference. Of course, I can have fun with 16 levels of pressure (as in the Nintendo DS lite). But the advantage of having a real digital 'sketchbook' that's easy to carry and re-orient. It's definitely worth it.

There's also the 'heat' issue. Tablets run fairly hot to keep on your lap -- likewise the battery charge life is much lower than say, a real laptop or even an iPod. It typically get about 1.5 - 2 hours per charge. And that's with a new battery.

Comment

• Point taken, I agree having used regular laptops while sitting them in my lap they can get warm enough to be uncomfortable. I have one of those metal cooler bases though that are made to fit up to a 17" laptop size and can set on a table or your lap. I have found that it takes care of the heat issue nicely, at least with a regular laptop. I'm sure if would be even more comfortable with a tablet since you wouldn't have to constantly balance the comfort with being able to see the screen.

I don't know if the sensitivity level would bother me or not. I'm not digital artist enough to knowingly have/need great control over the brush/pen shapes anyway. It may just be that the Intous is changing the pen shape so smoothly and naturally that I don't notice though. Wacom makes a nice piece of hardware I will give them that. I really appreciate that they even allow you to confine the tablet area to one screen in a dual screen set up. Genius!

I think the tablet PC still sounds like a very promising option to me as well though. If I end up needing crazy control down the road I could always do what I can on getting the bulk of the work done on the tablet and then load it up on my desktop with the Intous for fine control.

Comment

• here is one of my first pieces I did awhile ago. Still trying to figure out how to blend colors well, like in the paint shadowing and reflection.

The lamps didnt come out as well as I wanted I need to learn how to make a clear reflection look real. any tips?

Comment

• Very nice illustration furo! I always struggle with straying lines when trying cars and vehicles. I end up having a portion where the perspective is slightly off and it makes the illustration "feel" weird, if that makes sense.

I have to do a fair amount of translucency effects with the web design work I do and I've always found the best way to figure out the behavior of a clear surface is to go take a really close look at the real thing. People might think you're crazy for crouching down in front of your/their car and intently analyzing a headlight but it really helps, at least it does me.

I'm no expert by any means but I've found that selling the realism of these kinds of surfaces usually has more to do with how the surface is interacting with it's environment rather than the surface itself. Having specular highlights and shadows in the right places and shaped properly really help give the eye the sense of a believable shape, even when the shape is mostly too transparent to see. Also clear surfaces are almost always reflecting something to one degree or another of their environment. This is the hardest part for me because especially shapes that are rounded, distort things in a complex way. Getting the right degree of reflection for the surface your emulating and then coming up with an image to reflect takes some thought and trial error... at least for me. Also a lot of surface will have some way that they tint or darken what is behind them and sometimes the surfaces will also slightly distort or blur whats behind it as well. It's usually very subtle though and that's why it's good to look at the real thing, to see how it actually looks. It's more important to get the visual cues the average person sees that tell them "that's a headlight" etc, than it is to have a hyper realistic surface though. Also keep in mind the end results actual size. All the spot on highlights, hyper realistic reflections and textures in the world don't mean much if you're original is 1920x1080 but the final size is going to be in a 400x225 area of a site. All that detail just disappears in the reduced size. Hope that was of some help to you!

Comment

• yeah it definitly was thank you for the info. I understand the concept of highlights and shadowing but translating that to the actual art is different. I will definitly start looking at examples in person so I can have a better mental picture. the bigger picture is on my facebook page but I was at work so I could only get a copy from google haha

Comment

• This was my first true digital painting attempt with my new Wacom. I just did something simple to get used to it. Behold...The Golden Apple!

"I want to make beautiful things, even if nobody cares."--Saul Bass

Comment

• That's great bunny

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

• I just bought one yesterday! I have to sketch somethin' for ya.

Comment

• Yes you do

Comment

• This is just a sketch, so it's not amazing. I just started using it today! I am very happy with it.

Comment

• It takes a bit to get used to ... just keep at it

Comment

• So I finally got a wacom! I must admit, at first it takes some getting used to (still working out the kinks) but it's pretty cool. When I have some more spare time I hope I can play around with it a bit more.

On a side note, I'm thinking imageshack compressed the hell out of that jpeg. If I wasn't so lazy I'd reupload it.

Comment

• Now that I've had a bit more practice, I did another one. Still not great.

Comment

• Random sketch.

"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
                              -Steve Jobs

Comment

• He looks scared.....but great sketch

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                                Working...
                                X