Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• kemingMatters
    Reply to Vendor Creative
    kemingMatters
    Hi GDGD and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything...
    Today, 02:48 PM
  • GDGD
    Vendor Creative
    GDGD
    Does anybody know if there are rules about changing flyer creative received from a vendor's agency? We get a lot of "vendor creative" and I provide our specs regarding file format and minimum...
    Today, 02:41 PM
  • <b>
    Reply to Are you able to read the text?
    <b>
    Readability -- especially on a poster -- is right up there at the top of what's most important. Your question indicates that you're already seeing problems. Just sort of mostly readable isn't good enough...
    Today, 02:09 PM
  • kemingMatters
    Comment on Zazzle, CafePress, Etsy, OH MY!
    kemingMatters
    That's a good idea buda
    Today, 02:02 PM
  • PanToshi
    Comment on Custom social icons
    PanToshi
    The "backgrounds" are part of the logo.
    Today, 01:28 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Can I open .dwg in Illustrator CS2?

I just received several files with .dwg extension (AutoCad). Illustrator CS2 says it's an "Unknown format" and cannot be opened. Is there anyway to open in illustrator (I need to be able to edit.)

The project is time sensitive, and since the files are from overseas, we will lose a day if I wait for them to resend the files.

HELP!

Thanks
    Everywhere at everytime in the world, the artist has had to be a strong person in order to retain his own individuality.
    -Sergei Shutov, painter

http://www.irfanview.com/ with a couple shareware plugins should be able to help you out.

Niced conversion program

Comment

never mind that says read only.

What about a trial download of the autocad program http://www.autodesk.com ?

Comment

In CS2, on PC on my computer under Open .dwg is one of the formats.
        Less be more.

Comment

You should be able to "Place" them into an open Illustrator artboard. I use AutoCAD 2002 and CS2 at work and place DWG files all the time. You will have to make sure you place at original size and you may have to go back and adjust stroke width, but it is easy if you just "SELECT/SAME STROKE WEIGHT" and change.
          I could give you a dose
          but it would never come close
          to the rage built up inside of me
          fist in the air in the land of hypocrisy

Comment

Can you get your client or sender to save it out as and .svg file?
            I don't make mistakes. I thought I did once but I was wrong.

www.deepanchorgraphics.com

Comment

I am using a Mac, and when I tried to place the file I got an error that said it's a format that cannot be placed. I am using CS2 on a Mac and I don't see an option to open a .dwg file, is this a PC only thing?

We didn't want to lose time having the overseas office resend the file, since they are 12 hours ahead of us, the new files won't come until tomorrow.

It turns out there are potential mistakes in the files anyway, so I may end of recreating here in the meantime. I will let you know if I have anysucess opening the files. I will probably use the link Drazan posted to get a trial version of the software.
              Everywhere at everytime in the world, the artist has had to be a strong person in order to retain his own individuality.
              -Sergei Shutov, painter

Comment

Derfie, the files you received may be corrupt. I just took one of my DWG files and opened it on my Mac in Illustrator CS2. The process I described before was what I use on my PC, but I've never needed/tried to open a DWG file on the Mac before today. The DWG files I have are from AutoCAD 2002 so a newer version may be producing incompatable files as well.
                I could give you a dose
                but it would never come close
                to the rage built up inside of me
                fist in the air in the land of hypocrisy

Comment

It's a possibility that the files got corrupted, 12 files were sent from China via e-mail (all attached to the same e-mail), and they weren't stuffed or Zipped. We went back to them and asked them to send us the right file format next time. It's just laziness that they didn't convert the files, they know what we need.

Thanks for the help!
                  -Sergei Shutov, painter

Comment

Do you think maybe they didn't actually do a Save As to create the files, but instead just changed the file extension in the OS?
                    . . . in bed

(.)(.)™

You can fry an egg on the devil's hiney, but it ain't never gonna come out sunny-side up, A-men!

Comment

The files may not be corrupt. Illlustrator doesn't always recognize a version of the parent program, especially if it is Autocad. We always have trouble of some sort if it isn't saved down to version 14 or so. Anything but v2000.

An even weirder thing is sometimes a dwg that won't open in CS opens in 10. Go figure (Yes I have 3 versions of Illy on my comp....).

If the dwg (or dxf) isn't made with polylines you'll get faceted curves and a whole pile of disconnected splines that you won't be able to do anything with in Illustrator. No you can't use the Join command.

And the funniest thing – drafters use white lines on a black screen. If at first you don't see anything but maybe some text, go to outline view. It's probably there.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                      Working...
                      X