Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• CataclysmX
    Reply to Need advice for logo
    CataclysmX
    What does the organization do? So far its pretty simply and I like it, it seems a bit jagged but maybe that's how it uploaded. I kind of see a D k, and a t just because of how the k connects to the D,...
    Today, 05:43 PM
  • Diggidy
    Graphic Designer for mobile video game
    Diggidy
    We are in need of a Graphic Designer for mobile video game. The game is a 2D platformer style game.
    Please send your resume/website/past work in order to be considered. In return you will be sent...
    Today, 04:30 PM
  • <b>
    Reply to Crisp web graphics, how?
    <b>
    That will produce worse results. For example, if you specify the size in which the image displays as 200 x 200 pixels, but you upload a 300 x 300-pixel image, your browser will still need to display that...
    Today, 03:53 PM
  • kemingMatters
    Reply to Crisp web graphics, how?
    kemingMatters
    Sorry I'm not familiar with square space, so .svg might not be the answer. Is your MBP at retina model?
    Are you exporting as png from illustrator? have you tried saving for web via photoshop?...
    Today, 03:32 PM
  • Cosmo
    Comment on High School Football Program
    Cosmo
    Yeah. I can't tell you how many ads I got that was literally four or five photographs cut up with scissors taped to a piece of notebook paper with barely legible handwriting on it. I was always so tempted...
    Today, 03:32 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book Cover Fonts...[& effects]

I am designing 3 book covers, and I need some ideas.

1) I need a good font for a book that has "Marriage" in the title.

2) I need a good font for a children's book.

3) The third book will be black with red lettering. I like the font that I am using (Papyrus), but I want a better effect to make it pop (for lack of a better term). I don't know what I could do to make it stand out more.

Any suggestions?
    Attached Files

As for Papyrus, I don't like it. It's relatively played out.
    And for a children's book, please do not use Comic Sans.

Bickham Script is one font that pops up in my head when I think of Marriage.

Comment

Having the word "Marriage" in a book title doesn't necessarily describe the book. Is the book about a happy, loving marriage? Or an abusive, unloving marriage? What demographic is it geared for? Young adult females? Middle-aged men? Seniors? Is it fiction or non-fiction? I'd rather see the style of a book cover (including the fonts used) reflect the overall feel of the story within, rather than just what the title might imply.

Same goes for the children's book - I'm sure it will most likely be a happy story, but is it about animals? Sharing? Tolerance? Counting? For parents to read to their babies or toddlers? For kids just learning to read?

Knowing what's in the book and who it's for is just as important, if not more, than the title itself.

And I agree with fredrich, Papyrus is overused these days. It's pretty, but it's everywhere.

blog/portfolio

Comment

I am a noob, so I am definitely open to different ideas. Thank you guys! I agree with what you are saying Virgo, so I will try to explain.

ROSE: This is a book will be geared towards young adult women. It is basically about a successful woman with regrets from her past, and she managed to overcome them. The cover will be dark (with other images to resemble a basement). I didn't know what font to use. Was looking for something strong, yet empowering.

CHILDREN'S BOOK: Will be a book for kids 7 and up. It is a book about a boxer, and has a theme of working hard and never giving up.

MARRIAGE: I like that Bickham Script. Thanks. I am also open to other ideas. To answer your question, it is a book about a married couple that puts up a facade that everything is ok, but they are growing apart. Reconciliation happens at the end. This again will be geared toward young adult to middle age couples

Comment

Well that changes things! "A children's book" is so vague, but a book about a boxer is more detailed. Try some sporty fonts like ******...
          It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

off the top of my head... Try Trajan for Rose. (I love trajans r).... and for the childrens book maybe play around with AdLib, and Cooperblack..

Comment

Being a designer, book cover artist or otherwise, requires the ability to select fonts that work within the overall design and intent of the piece. Being able to do this is part of the job description of Designer.

Newbs do have to start somewhere. My suggestion would be to go to a local bookstore or library and actually look at the covers out there. See what sorts of fonts are used for certain types of books. See what effects (printing/embossing/diecuttting) are being used. Then go to sites like Fonthaus.com and familiarize yourself with the thousands of fonts that are out there by doing an overview of styles. Read some books on the uses of Typography.

Please don't expect people to be able to guess what would be appropriate for a book cover without seeing the cover art and at the very least a full story synopsis that sets the tone of the book.

I'm a firm believer in using a font that's appropriate, not following the trend of 'banning' a font for overuse. By that criteria alone, Times or Helvetica should never be used again. Finding something similar to Papyrus for Rose or any of the better looking comic-type fonts for the kid's book might actually be appropriate. But who's to say a kids book about a Boxer shouldn't be in a more active script like Undertow rather than ****** or Cooperblack. The book on Marriage could go in any direction from the scripts used for romance novels to the lettering style used for the Worldwide Wrestling Federation. If you get my drift.
              Last edited by PrintDriver; 04-22-2007, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Thank you so much. That was very helpful.

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                Working...
                X