• redneckrodney
    Reply to 10 minutes from home
    redneckrodney
    Oh yeah, and this...

Today, 04:48 AM
  • <b>
    Reply to A Generic Brand Video
    <b>
    My favorite line from the generic promo video...

"There's a shitload of people in the world -- 'specially in India."

Today, 04:44 AM
  • <b>
    Comment on Delete post from years ago
    <b>
    You need a few posts under your belt before the forum software will allow you to send private messages. Generally we don't like delete posts if they will disrupt the continuity of a thread.
    Today, 04:35 AM
  • salsa
    Reply to A Generic Brand Video
    salsa
    And don't forget the music: a catchy little tune with three notes in the entire song, sounds like it was written by an optimistic hipster.
    Today, 04:27 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Company Logo Design - Feedback/Advice Request

Hello:

Though I am new to the Forum, I thought my inquiry would be best suited for this section . . .

In short, I have been developing an online business for just over a year. In doing a little "test marketing" of my site recently, there was some discussion and/or concern with the company logo we have been using ... in that it may too closely resemble an established company's logo.
    First off, here is a link to a non-functioning shot of my site with the logo we have been using . . . http://www.musicians-marketplace.com/index3.html
    The established company's logo that people were comparing mine to is --> http://www.interstatemusic.com/webap...&storeId=10051

I am seeking thoughts, advice and suggestions from graphic design experts - such as yourseves - with regard to the current logo and/or whether you think a change should be made.

Thank You for any insight you can provide.

TOM

To be fair, your logo and the one you are 'comparing' to (in other words the logo you stole the design of and altered for yourself ) are both pretty weak. There is a complete lack of concept. It takes a hell of a lot of marketing to make a logo that consists of very little to be recognised by the masses, money you just don't have.

Instead you need to come up with something that reflects your industry in your own styling so that what you do and what you sell can be easily understood without seeing the rest of the site. Have a little think about it because your site is pretty good so it would be a shame to bring it down with a lesser logo.
    "If it sells, its art."

Comment

I find both logos to be pretty funky, too. Neither one of them says anything about what you're trying to do. But on your original question, yes, the logos are too similar. Basically you're asking if they're m hanging off a circle looks too much like your m hanging off a circle. I think if you have to ask, then you probably already know the answer! Good luck!
      You're no longer a child when a mud puddle is an obstacle rather than an opportunity!

Comment

IMO because they're both so simple I'd bet that there are plenty of others out there that are "comparable" I wouldn't think that you have to change.

Also note that there's is not a circle but in fact the letter "C" no doubt standing for "Cascio". They are similar but if I made the "CIM" logo and then saw yours then before I confronted you about design theft I'd have to accept that I'm basically telling the world that I'm soley responsible for an off-center circle, an artistic design element which is far too generic to make such a statement.

However similar to how cornfed says "If you have to ask...", if I had any part of my brain questioning the authenticity of my work then it'd be enough to change it. Especially on a logo, which is not a "one and done" job by any means. You're gonna see your logo over and over and that "loose string" on your conscience might only grow.

Comment

lame logos

All of the below and: Serious doubts should be addressed NOW before you start developing equity that you will lose, should you decide to change the logo later.

A circle is not a logo, even if you put an M in it. So, why not come up with some other element to put behind your big M--maybe something that says MUSIC graphically.

Also, get rid of the second m. Don't you think that big M is big enough to M both words?

Either way, good luck with that.

Comment

contrast is allways good.

It makes you unique and stick out in comparision to your competitor.

I never get why some people want thier stuff to look so much like their competitor. Especially, when the business is just strating up or something. I mean its not like most people are so stupid that they are going to mistake the newer business with the more established one just becasue of a thing like a logo.

Make it different.

yes, it looks simular- typography, circle and all.
            Last edited by tZ; 04-22-2007, 12:03 AM.

Comment

take a look at Muzak's logo

http://www.muzak.com/muzak.html

...also

http://www.m-ms.com/

www.mcdonalds.com

I.E... the M as a logo has been done by strong established companies.. do something else if you're going to stand out as a startup.
              Last edited by bembo; 04-22-2007, 02:52 AM.

Comment

The logos are similar, but not similar enough to be a rip of of each other.

Conceptually they are both failures IMO. There's nothing about them that is striking, clever or memorable.

Putting letter in circle does not a logo make.
                It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Originally posted by budafist
                  Putting letter in circle does not a logo make.
                  It worked for 7-Up.

Seems that, for many corporate logos, it simply comes down to the font used. I mean, Coca-Cola/Coke is little more than cursive/times.

Mind you, I want something that is relatively simple, yet bold/pranding - somethign that can look professional (for business correspondece), while at the same time be utilized on promotional items/swag.

I actually put the project out to bid and here are some of the samples I received --> http://www.musicians-marketplace.com/newlogo.jpg

None of them (in my opinion) fit the bill with regard to what I'm wanting.
                  Last edited by tcraw1010; 04-22-2007, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Every single other option works worlds better than what you have right now. The only problem that I see with some of them is that they have gradients and that's gonna give you a bit of trouble when you go to fax and whatnot. However, that can easily be dealt with.

What do you mean you put it out to bid?
                    You're no longer a child when a mud puddle is an obstacle rather than an opportunity!

Comment

Originally posted by cornfed
                      Every single other option works worlds better than what you have right now. The only problem that I see with some of them is that they have gradients and that's gonna give you a bit of trouble when you go to fax and whatnot. However, that can easily be dealt with.

What do you mean you put it out to bid?

I put a "logo" project out to bid on a freelance resource.

Comment

It sounds like you sort of ran a contest. This sort of thing is really frowned upon in the world of graphic design. You may not be aware of that but it is called spec work. Spec work is where a designer works to design something in the hopes that the potential client will choose their design, thus rewarding them either with money or with their name being listed as the designer or whatever. Maybe this isn't what you did to get these designs, but it looks like it from where I'm sitting.

Comment

No, not what I did - or implied in my project bid.

The samples were offered freely - I did not request or expect them. The only thing I wanted to see from prospective bidders was a portfolio of their work.

Comment

Originally posted by tcraw1010
                            It worked for 7-Up.

Seems that, for many corporate logos, it simply comes down to the font used. I mean, Coca-Cola/Coke is little more than cursive/times.
                            Yes but as I mentioned before, you can only get away with that if you are willing to pump a hell of a lot of money into marketing that kind of logo, othewrwise it really is just a word and not a logo. How much money do you think coca-cola, 7-up, mcdonalds etc have spent on marketing to build up that kind of brand recognition.
                            "If it sells, its art."

Comment

Originally posted by InZenith
                              Yes but as I mentioned before, you can only get away with that if you are willing to pump a hell of a lot of money into marketing that kind of logo, othewrwise it really is just a word and not a logo. How much money do you think coca-cola, 7-up, mcdonalds etc have spent on marketing to build up that kind of brand recognition.
                              Well, true .... but when boil it down to it's most basic elements, it's really only just a chosen font and, in some cases, a complimentary element (i.e. red circle, squiggly line, color choice, etc.)

Mind you, I am not diminishing the element of creativity and market-research ... just analyzing the most basic elements of a chosen logo. When it comes right down to it, it doesn't seem like it should be all that complicated of a formula.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X