Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Some advice for a good "graphic design" monitor please. Max 600$. Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
Search Search Module
Collapse

Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• captain spanky
    Reply to Stickers
    captain spanky
    As far as sticker printers go... i can fully recommend http://stickerobot.com ...cheap and the quality is by far the best i've had. Some stickers i did nearly 8 years ago are still stuck out and about...
    Today, 09:22 AM
  • damonharris
    Reply to Business Logo Design
    damonharris
    Logo represent you and your business. If it's presentable enough, that means you are credible too in giving services to the clients or customers. That's why it's very important in any business because...
    Today, 06:12 AM
  • damonharris
    Reply to creative business cards
    damonharris
    Choose a design that is creative and effective enough to boost your business and will get the interest of your potential customers. That's what I'm always telling my friends who are in the business. And...
    Today, 06:03 AM
  • Yehoshua
    Cover Layout Feedback
    Yehoshua
    I've been exploring more with minimalism, but still trying to keep things logical. This is a 11x17 cover for a recent undergrad project I've been working on. Does it work? Why or why not? The blue wacked...
    Today, 04:22 AM
  • vaprarts
    Reply to Down selling to clients
    vaprarts
    Now i have no real experience working with clients but in my opinion you did what most designers should do. You are being hired as a designer not an artist. Its our job to create work that makes sense....
    Today, 02:58 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some advice for a good "graphic design" monitor please. Max 600$.

Hi everybody, I'm new to the forums!
    I'm thinking of starting a business of my own concerning graphical design. One step in doing this is to get a proper monitor.
    So here I am, asking kindly for any advice that might help me to find the monitor I'm looking for.

Things that I'd like this monitor to do/have:
    • I'm using a standard PC so the monitor must ofcourse support this machine
    • It must be good for working with 'prepress' stuff like in InDesign, have a 'true' color and a nice sharpness.
    • IF we're talking about TFT/LCD's the monitor must have a fast response time (atleast 4ms) since my hobby is PC gaming, mostly the shooter kind of games.
    • My economy ain't the best now I'm afraid so the monitor shouldn't cost more than 600$.
    • CRT or TFT/LCD? I don't know what to go with here... I'm still not sure that you'll get the things I need in a monitor, for a "low price" with a TFT monitor... CRT still seems to give you 'more for the money'. What do you guys think?
    I'm not looking for the 'best of the best', I'm looking for something that will suffice.

Someone gave me the advice to take a look at this monitor:
    http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/pi/25-5...k-Product-Info
    What do you guys think about it?

Please help.

/Cheers, F.

-:It's so coooold in here!

Comment

Wow, I think $600 is double the amount you need to spend. I recently purchased a nice 19" widescreen LCD for $240.

I think you need to do a little bit of homework. Check out Cnet. They review a lot of technology products and have written and video reviews.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Monitors/200...tag=cnetfd.dir

If you already have the cash set aside, why not get two LCD's and set up a dual monitor system? Fun, fun!
      Broke or just cheap? Read my list of free open source alternatives to Adobe Creative Suite software.

Comment

surf's right, but do a little searching around on this forum. this topic has been covered quite a bit.

if you've got 600 to spend, and you've either got two video cards or two open ports on your video card, i would recommend getting two monitors. for instance, you can get a dell 22" monitor right now for about 279 or so, and then a secondary 19" (or whatever else you can afford) for less than that. the extra monitor is worth it.

you'll be in there like swimwear with that.
        Remember: Wherever you go, there you are.

Comment

Here is a Good deal I was thinking of placing into its own thread but will just palce it here:

http://www.viewsonic.com/hdlife/view...45wm/specs.htm

Very good monitor. We have the normal version at work (no ipod hookups or other stuff) has teh same pixel specs and we all like themm. Especially to view Tabloid 100% or two letters side by side.

Good good monitor. Costco has them for $300!! instead of the MSRP of $450. and our work monitors cost us $330 3 weeks ago.
          Dribbble Page
          Behance Portfolio
          Linkedin Profile

Comment

it's just my personal view, but i had problems with viewsonic CRTs i had some years back. i don't trust 'em, because their customer support was so awful back then. it may be better now, but macworld gives a dicey review of that monitor, but it's mostly due to its cranky interface:

http://www.macworld.com/2007/02/revi...2245/index.php

i'm a mac guy, but i gotta say that the dell monitors consistently get quality reviews, and they're pretty cheap.

i've got a 19" rosewood and a 19" benq at home that, once calibrated, are pretty accurate.

my .02.
            Remember: Wherever you go, there you are.

Comment

Many will certainly say that CRTs are still king, but they're becoming harder and harder to find.

Careful when considering the consumer level LCD monitors, while they make a game of Quake look pretty and the prices are attractive, they may not be suitable for color in design depending on the circumstances (even with calibration). My pair of Dells at work would be pretty nice to have under any other circumstances, but I can't get them to look decent for the life of me. But if color isn't too important on-screen (using pantone books or printed pieces to judge), then don't worry about it too much. Another consideration is if the color starts to become "off" when you're at a different angle.

Otherwise, I *think* the Apple 20'' is at $599 now and those are SWOP certified. Another certified brand is the Eizo monitors, but youuuch...they make Apple's prices look cheap.
              Last edited by Patrick Shannon; 04-23-2007, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mojoprime
                surf's right, but do a little searching around on this forum. this topic has been covered quite a bit.

if you've got 600 to spend, and you've either got two video cards or two open ports on your video card, i would recommend getting two monitors. for instance, you can get a dell 22" monitor right now for about 279 or so, and then a secondary 19" (or whatever else you can afford) for less than that. the extra monitor is worth it.

you'll be in there like swimwear with that.
                Just get two of those 22" dell monitor LCDs.. thats only $558.00 total, you might have to spend a little for shipping. I agree with Surf and Mojo, dual monitors pwn any one single wide screen. hell two wide screens are awsome. Tool buttons/email/other software windows on one, while work space on the other. 22" of tool bar free workspace. /drool

Dell LCDs are superior to any other lcd, with exception to the expensive 32" cinema apple monitor. OMG! I cant believe I said that! someone shoot me.
                pas·sion
                If there is no passion in your life, then have you already lived? Find your passion, whatever it may be. Become it, and let it become you, and you will find great things happen for you, to you, and because of you.
                -T. Alan Armstrong

Comment

Don't neglect the used CRT market. Great bargains as people are dumping practically new big monitors for next to nothing just to upgrade to panel models. (That's how I got my second 21 inch Trinitron).

Comment

Originally posted by Broacher
                    Don't neglect the used CRT market. Great bargains as people are dumping practically new big monitors for next to nothing just to upgrade to panel models. (That's how I got my second 21 inch Trinitron).
                    Don't forget a 21" CRT weights between 60-90lbs, and is very big/bulky to move around.
                    pas·sion
                    If there is no passion in your life, then have you already lived? Find your passion, whatever it may be. Become it, and let it become you, and you will find great things happen for you, to you, and because of you.
                    -T. Alan Armstrong

Comment

Thanks for all the advice!

A guy in my local area sells this:
                      http://www.amazon.com/Sony-GDM-FW900...8478&sr=%201-1
                      For about 300$

What do you think about that?

Comment

Originally posted by Fruitieloops
                        Thanks for all the advice!

A guy in my local area sells this:
                        http://www.amazon.com/Sony-GDM-FW900...8478&sr=%201-1
                        For about 300$

What do you think about that?

Nice.. but..

Shipping Weight: 108 pounds
                        That sucks! ^

Are you getting one? or two? you may need two people to move it.
                        pas·sion
                        -T. Alan Armstrong

Comment

Sure, but like I said-- there's a surprisingly huge surplus of used one floating around. Don't be surprised if you find one close enough to drive to. Mine was only a year old and used for data entry. It's like new!

Comment

"A guy in my local area sells this"

Erm guys, is my english really so bad that I can't even explain this simple little thing correctly?

Navian: I'm getting 1 monitor and I'm carrying stuff weighing twice that in my other work, several times a day, so no problem there

Additional info about the USED monitor for 300$, sold by a guy that I have a bicicle distance to:
                            I talked with the guy, it's about 2 years old.
                            Link to the monitor: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-GDM-FW900...8478&sr=%201-1

So, any ideas as to how this monitor will perform color/sharpness -wise concerning that I want to use it for graphical design?

Comment

While i have not used that particular model - I used to use a similar Sony Trinitron CRT here at work. It was a very nice monitor - sounds like a pretty good buy for $300
                              Some advice is profound, some is clever. The above post is a good example of both.
                              http://www.pedrospracticaljokes.blogspot.com/

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X