X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Publisher vs. InDesign

I have a question. After years of using Publisher (Yes, I feel you cringing!), I thought I'd try laying out our little newsletter in InDesign to show off my new skills. I haven't had a problem with Publisher before, everything saves to PDF and ships off to the printer 100 miles away with no problems that I know of, except once and that was something at their end, not Publisher related.

Anyway, so I start to place my graphics in InDesign and everything looks horrible! What is clear and crisp in Publisher is definely NOT in InDesign. I thought jpegs would be okay but they're not.

What am I doing wrong?

Indesign does not give a full resolution preview by default. This saves on loadtimes and RAM, allowing you to freely "lay out" your design without needing to process all your large images.

To turn high-resolution display on, right click on the artboard, and choose Display Performance => High Quality Display.
    Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
    mediamainline.com
    cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

wow, i misread and thought you went from Pagemaker to InDesign.

Publisher. yuck!
      sorry had to do that
      Dribbble Page
      Behance Portfolio
      Linkedin Profile

Comment

You can make perfectly good files for many print workflows using Publisher.
        I rarely see one though. Usually it's a problem with the carbon based Publisher
        plug-in.

Comment

Originally posted by doubting_thomas
          You can make perfectly good files for many print workflows using Publisher.
          I rarely see one though. Usually it's a problem with the carbon based Publisher
          plug-in.
          Send a .pub file to a printer. you wont be their favorite customer.
          www.jackiecreative.com

People who live in glass houses sink ships.

Comment

If you have PitStop, it'll fix most cappy Pub files for print. They all need fix'in.
            WYSIWYG

Comment

Wait a minute, I wasn't looking for knocks on Publisher. I know very well how Publisher is frowned on. And no, I never send a .pub file anywhere.

I was wondering why my InDesign graphics do not look clear when they are placed. THAT was the question.

Comment

did you get your answer then?
                try chaging the display performance under 'View'?

yeah, isn't there another 'punisher' bashing thread?

Comment

You are placing these Publisher files in as PDFs? You just have to switch ID from it's default Display Performance to 'High-Quality Display'.

Comment

For the moment, I've had to go back to Publisher. I don't have the time to figure out how to get this to work. I pop the jpgs in Publisher and I don't have a problem. They're crisp and detailed and the pdfs do fine with the printer and since it's due tomorrow, I'll go with what works for now.

At a later date, I will have to address this again, why I lose detail and my fine lines are not visible OR PRINT in InDesign whether I place a jpg or drag and drop from Photoshop.

Comment

Calligirl. The files in InDesign will print properly. As ned said it's is just a display preference - used especially for those big projects, like a 100pg catalog.

Make sure that you Place all your files in InDesign.

What is a good habit to get into is to create a folder just for your specific InDesign project. Then place the images you want to use in that folder. Now as you work with your project Place the files as linked files in InDesign. That way if you need to adjust size, color, crop you can easily change the original without having to rePlace the file in InDesign.

On the left there should be a tab that had the linked files listed. Those with the exclaimation point is the ones that need to be relinked for them to be updated in your document.

There's a couple ways to export your files to print. One is the InDesign Packaging which may also copy over the fonts used in your design. The other is to output to PDF.

If you try and resize items inside InDesign itself you will loose clarity - depending on the original image. You also need to make sure that the original files are 300dpi at size, else you will have some funky size when placing in InDesign.

Hope this helps.
                      Jade

Comment

Best place to fix InDesign display performance (in my experience) is under Preferences>Display Performance. You can also access it with right clicks (PC) or control clicks (Mac) on individual placed images, or the View>Display Performance - but I've found the Preferences dialog generally overrides everything else (even though right clicking on individual objects is supposed to let you override the document-wide settings - that's probably just my whacky computer though.
                        . . . in bed

(.)(.)™

You can fry an egg on the devil's hiney, but it ain't never gonna come out sunny-side up, A-men!

Comment

Be forewarned: if you turn on the high res previews permanently, your computer is going to cry if you get something really, really high res displayed in there. Quark and InDesign downres them (in the document screen only) for good reason.

Comment

I usually set my Preferences to be high quality for vector and proxy for raster images. I use the right click or control click to override individual objects' display performance. The object needs to be selected for this to work, otherwise, you'll override the settings for the entire document.
                            "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

I work in normal view unless I really got to see the details of something. Then I'll work in high quality but only for as long as I need to. The rainbow whell of doom is not my friend.
                              It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X