X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I quited my first job.

Hi all. I would like to share my short story to you all and would like some feedbacks. I got a job about 3 weeks ago at this print shop as a full time graphic designer. The first week was fine, learning on how to set the prints properly, imposing, etc.. stuff like that. As the 2nd week came, all I did was pretty much customer service, faxing, cutting paper, cleaning, answering phone, and learn how to operate the printing/cutting machines.

So pretty much I barely touches the graphic sides, which is ok but then I can't stand the owner. He would gets mad whenever I asked him a question, because I forgot some part on what he said earlier about how to do this and that. There are so many technical things that I need to learn, but he expects me to learn right away. Well, it is not totally my fault because he has a very strong acents. On top of that, since it just me, him and his wife, who else do I ask on how to do things besides him you know. I wish there would have been another worker, someone who I can talk to, share my ideas, answer my questions nicely whenever I have one.

Anyways, do you think I made a mistake by quitting? I know that for the fact that if I stay there longer, all I am going to be doing is just learning how to operates the printing/cutting machines and other stuff which is really what the owner hoping to hire a person for. As for me, I want to design, I don't mind to learn about printing setup, process, etc.. but I don't want to learn other stuff. If there are enough design to balance out, then I don't mind too. That is where the problems come in though I guess. Do you guy enjoy work or have fun at work or is it just working and working?

Thanks for reading and please give me some feedback on what to do. I am jobless now and it is very hard to me to find a job since I don't have much experience.
    Last edited by suken19; 04-23-2007, 11:04 PM.

Every situation is different. You quit because that is what you needed to do. We can't tell you want is right or wrong for you.
    It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

^^Agreed.

Nonetheless, I will say that print shop experience is essential for a good designer when starting his/her career. We've all paid our dues, and this is one of the best learning experiences you'll have.
      Maybe try applying at a larger print shop, but don't turn it down because you're getting the crappy jobs. This is how you make your start.
      Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
      mediamainline.com
      cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

To echo Ned a bit...

I worked with an in-house marketing group, hired to do web and print stuff, right out of school. The first 3 months or so were a little bit of design here and there, but mostly photocopying, filling the printer with paper, running my butt all over the building for people, etc. Doing all that stuff with a smile shows people you can work hard and that can lead to much better things.
        Think of me as programmable soda.
        Tori Amos

Comment

I know that I should try to work there as long as possible. However though, ever since the second week, I never had 1 perfect night sleep. It was almost a nightmare, seriously. I would be going home today, thinking how tomorrow is going to be like. Am I going to get yell at again, or what kind of mistakes am I going to make, although I am trying my best not to make a mistake of course. I just don't want to be yell at and be put down. I have always worked for at one 1 1/2 year on all my jobs, this is the first job I quitted so soon.

Thanks for the advices though. Anyways, I have another question. Last week on Wednesday, I went to this interviewed and was offered a job at this firm to design their marketing materials, which is what I really want to do. Actually, 40% is document scanning, and the rest is designing. The thing is that this is a contract job and it's a year long too. Any of you have experience this before? How was it for you? I didn't accept the job yet because I was still working at the print place then, but now that I have quitted, I am thinking of working there.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comment

Well, if you're being abused at your job, it doesn't matter what the job is, there is no need for it. I may have gotten a bit of that impression from your first post, but didn't know that was a major issue going on here. In that case, I'm all for you quitting. Abusive employers should be reported to the employment standards board (or whatever you have in your area).
            Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
            mediamainline.com
            cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

Well then, I guess the problem was that you didn't have anyone but the bosses to turn to for help. Finding a job at a larger print company should solve this problem. Good luck.
              It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Thanks guy. I am definitely try to find another job. Hopefully my next job won't be a family own again.

Comment

My first print shop job was with an art department of 3, one PC guy (also the Corel user), one Mac girl (also the Quark user), and myself, the cross-platform guy (and Adobe user). We were all able to bounce knowledge off each other this way.
                  Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
                  mediamainline.com
                  cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

I wish my first job had at least one worker like yours. Being equally employ, you will lean toward each other for help, ideas and such, but for me, damn leaning toward the owner was hard.

Comment

It most definitely won't be roses your first time out. I had LOTS of interviews with some good companies out of college, but I was all blown out of the water for being too green. Ended up at a print shop nightmare that didn't end for nearly five years, since no one else was hiring. (Little did I know then that Saint Louis was dead for print design, but desperate for web design).

I was the only designer there and had no help in learning the ropes (except from the printer, and only in print areas at that). As much as I hated that place, I don't completely regret it (maybe I regret staying there so long, but that's beside the point). Being thrown into an environment like that was certainly an education and only motivated me to be better so I could improve my situation.

And I'm in that situation again...the happy little company I currently work for has now turned into a corporate mess, and now that we've discontinued our provider websites, the design team has been reduced to a shell of their former selves (we design forms, whoopie). I'm very disappointed by that...but I know my next job will be even better. I have far better design experience now because of it, and a much LARGER network of people all working in the right places.

The first few weeks of that first job are never swell, I had the nightmares too. But I personally would have stuck it out a little longer, it takes time to get used to a job and their workflow. Also if they made you run a press, that might have not been such bad education to see things from the printer's eyes. (I wish I had learned how to run a press.) But then again, I don't know your situation so you may have made the right decision. Just don't become a job hopper, it won't look good for your resume.
                      Last edited by Patrick Shannon; 04-24-2007, 05:05 AM.

Comment

My first design related job was when I was still in my first year of university. It was 2 days a week at a small copy shop with sole charge on Saturdays (the slow day). I really enjoyed it while I was there. Sole charge meant that I got to come into work hungover and since it was quiet, I didn't have to do much. I'd vacuum slowly and then play on Photoshop or just sit there doing not too much for the rest of the day.

A year later, the bosses sold the business to a horrible dictator of a man. He didn't trust any of the staff to to be alone, so on Saturdays so he would stand over me supervising. With nothing to do, it was horrible trying to look busy in a tiny print shop. Going from a year of Saturdays unsupervised to suddenly being babysat was terrible.

All the staff resigned. He sold the business not long after.

Comment

There is possibility also if you tried to stay for more periods there, you would be his right hand man. He will not only ask you for such technical stuff, but also sooner or later he will give you more responsibility and of course with the better compensation.

However, you know more exactly the situation to make the right decision about quitting.

Comment

I work in a similar situation, a small family print job, I am the only mac artworker/designer. I think its really important to have a lot of support and understanding, especially if you're new to the field. This is my first job out of uni and my bosses are really understanding that its gonna take time for me to learn all the processes and tricks. The important thing though is I feel happy at work...if you dont then its not going to make you any better at what you want to do, you wont learn because you are scared of asking questions (which i would be aswell if i got shouted at everytime i did!) So I think you have probably done the right thing in leaving!

Good luck finding somewhere new!

Comment

I worked at a small family run print shop for a year when I was first out of university - invaluable experience. Yeah at first I had difficulties with the owner that were similer to yours, but after a few months (and a few confrontations) we came to an understanding and a good relationship.

All that customer service stuff can be usefull too if you are pretty fresh employment wise.

The worst thing about working in a small print shop for me was the local customers who liked to jump behind my desk *instruct* me in designing their project i.e "move that photo over there and also make the font larger and can you do something with that word so it looks 3D and has glitter on it?" Eventually I got good at guiding them over to the couch with a pen and sketchpad and asking them draw what they wanted....Then faced with the fact that they had no artistic ability they would smile and say "oh, you know what I want, I'll come back tomorrow when its finished." Score 1 point for the designer.
                              yugyug.com

guykeulemans.com

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X