X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice.

I dont want to burden anyone with this, but has anyone here designed things for a funeral/memorial service?

The reason I'm asking, is because my grandpa passed away last night (10pm) from pneumonia.

Going to miss him.

I was asked (and honored to be asked) to do a few projects in a small amount of time.

Memorial Poster
    Photo Slide Show
    Memorial program

The pneumonia (the doctors checked) was caused by cardboard dust. it was from when he worked at a Frito Lay warehouse for 20+ yrs (and retired.) this explains his constant pneumonia, heart bypasses, and deteriorating energy levels.

I greatly appreciate any advice with this. (Recommended poster sizes, program sizes, slide show durations ect.. )

Thanks
    pas·sion
    If there is no passion in your life, then have you already lived? Find your passion, whatever it may be. Become it, and let it become you, and you will find great things happen for you, to you, and because of you.
    -T. Alan Armstrong

I'm sorry for your loss, Navian.

Unfortunately, I can't help you much with the designing part for such an event. I imagine something like a letterpress print, for an ageless, classic look, particularily on the programs, would look very nice.

As for program size, I would use your standard church program booklet size, which I believe is 5.5" x 8.5" - don't quote me on that.

Poster size really depends on where you think they will be posted. On community bulletin boards and the like, you don't want an oversized poster. That will only overtake the board and cause hard feelings (and/or extra expense). Tabloid would be the biggest you could probably get away with there. Legal would probably would well, too. Take it out of the squarish dimensions to give a nicer feel to the poster.
    Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
    mediamainline.com
    cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

wow, navian. i'm so sorry. that's just awful. lost my dad last year, so i feel your pain.

one of the folks did a program, and it was just 8.5 x 11, folded in half. that might be easiest; i know it was for us. i also asked all the folks that used to work with him (my dad was old-time newspaper guy, 40+ years) to send me some quotes about him, and i put them all together in a kind of handout thing.

we didn't do a poster, but we put up a lot of photos. i just couldn't do it.

as far as the slideshow, i think a little would go a long way. maybe pick a song or something that he liked, and then run the show for that duration. it was my impression from my dad's service that a little goes a long way. and everyone will love whatever you do.

take care, man.
      Remember: Wherever you go, there you are.

Comment

Originally posted by mojoprime
        one of the folks did a program, and it was just 8.5 x 11, folded in half.
        By the way, that's what I meant by 5.5" x 8.5", Navian... just in case you didn't pick up on that...
        Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
        mediamainline.com
        cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

yeah, you posted that just as i was putting mine up, ned.
          Remember: Wherever you go, there you are.

Comment

I noticed that, Mojo.

After reading your comment though, I thought, why didn't I just come out and say "lettersize folded in half"? That's why I posted that comment to avoid confusion.
            Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
            mediamainline.com
            cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

For the program, its nice to include a photo, years of life, a poem, and a mention of how the person was imporantant to your family.

The poster just needs to be a blown-up photograph that is mounted. They usually put these up on easels near flowers. Its just to picture the person in a happier time in their life.

Keep the slide show under 5 minutes. Use photos that were important landmarks in your grandfather's life if possible (birthdays, marriage, child birth, grandchildren's birth, reunions). Aim for photos that show him smiling and with other people.

With all the pieces, remember that less is more. This is one of those cases in which the artistic side of design should be downplayed for the sake of clairty. Use simple type, warm neutral colors, and have lots of white space. Your goal is to highlight the memory of the deceased, and that shouldn't be hindered by design.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I will pray for you and wish you and your family strength for the upcoming events.
              Broke or just cheap? Read my list of free open source alternatives to Adobe Creative Suite software.

Comment

I'm sorry for your loss Navian.

I think all the suggestions given are right on target.
                "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

For a slide show you can do flash, or a movie.

If you need help with anything, pm me and I am willing to do what I can.

((hugs))

Comment

Thats terrible to hear
                    I wish you all the best

Trev
                    Living Large in Trenton..........BOOYAH

Comment

I want to thank everyone for your advice and kind words. I appriciate it.

I'm still in the wait, for getting photos from family members.

(wish they would hurry!)

Just trying to look at the brighter side of everything.
                      pas·sion
                      If there is no passion in your life, then have you already lived? Find your passion, whatever it may be. Become it, and let it become you, and you will find great things happen for you, to you, and because of you.
                      -T. Alan Armstrong

Comment

I've designed order of service type things for funerals and bereavement cards. Go for classic if a bit on the traditional side. Keep in mind that many people keep these things so a timeless aesthetic is idea.

Programs generally have simple gold borders, cream or white stock, black text. A photo on the front, name and birth/death date is common.

I would steer away from black. Use light but neutral colours. Use serif fonts.

Depending on the religion of the family, there are some pictures that can be used.
                        It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Sorry to hear about your loss Navian. I lost my grandmother 2 years ago, it still hurts. I tear up a little every time I see an elderly woman who reminds me of her in either physical appearance or mental capacity (she had Alzheimer's).

My boss here has lost quite a few friends in the year and a half I've been here and we usually put together memorial posters for them scan 75 or so photos, and collage them together with photo edges feathered onto two or three posters, then mount them on foamcore. We've made them rather large, 24x36 each usually (poster printer in-house). The home should have a few easels on hand for display.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Budah,
                            What serif font would you recommend?

Virgo, should I keep try to get them at 300dpi when I increase them to the 24x36 size? foamcore is the shizzle.

Oh, here is a picture of my grandparents.

it was at my grandparents 50th anniversary lunch party.

He would have been 80 in May.
                            pas·sion
                            -T. Alan Armstrong

Comment

<--- is also a Taurus and a May baby.

(sorry, I just came out of the "What are you" thread.)
                              Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
                              mediamainline.com
                              cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X