Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Buda
    Comment on Searching for a font for the word "STORM"
    Buda
    I agree. Post your maybes so we can give advice.

Is the logo for a design company?
    Today, 10:39 PM
  • Buda
    Reply to Is 9-to-5 a thing of the past?
    Buda
    I work a 40 hour per week standard. I get wages rather than a salary so if I work overtime, I'm paid for the hours I work.

I think salaries should stipulate what hours are expected whether...
    Today, 10:38 PM
  • Buda
    Reply to Canvas
    Buda
    I have an inkjet printer that prints onto canvas. But if you rub your face on the print, especially for an extended period of time, the ink would imprint onto your face. Probably no good for pillowcases...
    Today, 10:35 PM
  • Buda
    Reply to Complete noob in webdesign here. Can someone answer me these simpel questions?
    Buda
    The answer is no. You should learn on real client's project.

If you are interested in web, learn how to do it, do some practice pieces and basic jobs first....
    Today, 10:33 PM
  • Buda
    Reply to The Importance of Pricing Tables and Testimonies.
    Buda
    Keep your testimonies on a separate page. I can't imagine why you would even consider "littering your site" with testimonies. If you have a lot of testimonies, pick out the most well known people/companies....
    Today, 10:30 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Word Hell

I'm trying to create some templates in Microsoft Word for people to type into and print on our letterhead.

I did some searching on this forum and couldn't find answers to my specific question, so here goes.

I figured out how to get my header and footer on the first page without them also being on subsequent pages. But because there is no header on the 2nd page and on, the body text can move up a few lines to make it visually "feel right." But how do you set different margins for different pages?

I tried inserting a section break, but then the problem is when people fill up the first page and their text flows onto the 2nd page, so does the section break. And therefore the 2nd page becomes part of the same section as page 1, thus giving it the same margins. How do I tell Microsoft Word that only page 1 has xyz attributes and all other pages following have abc attributes?

A friend tells me that no one in the world has figured this out and that I'll be famous if I do. Please prove him wrong!

I think he's right. I don't know of a way around it.
    Less be more.

Comment

Word is a terrible program. You'd be better off formatting in HTML and CSS.

I personally use InDesign.

Comment

I did something similar recently, but used the Text Field Tool in Acrobat Pro after exporting a PDF in InDesign. After you set up the file, all they need is Acrobat Reader to be able to use it to print on the letterheads. It's another option.

Comment

Oh, you have got to be kidding:

Grrr, why the hell not??!!!

Anyway, I've found a workaround for the margin thing. It seems so stupid that the leading word processing application in the world hasn't supplied the functionality for this simple need. I can't imagine that IBM, Coca Cola, and even Microsoft don't provide letterhead templates for all their employees so the visual identity doesn't go down the drain. How do they deal with these simple issues?

Anyway, here's the margin workaround: http://blogs.msdn.com/rick_schaut/ar...02/124802.aspx

Basically you have to add an invisible rectangle with text wrapping in the header to push the body text on the first page down. How idiotic is that?

Comment

Most companies print blank letterhead, that's why. At least we do, but we do have letterhead templates in Word as well, and it sucks.

Word sucks ... it's the biggest piece of bloat ware on the planet. It's bad code added to bad code added to bad code to create a shite program.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

The other thing about doing any kind of design work in Word is that you ALWAYS have to expect that no matter WHAT you do to prevent the user from tinkering, altering, the layout, the styles, the palettes-- you can be absolutely sure that there will ALWAYS be a subgroup of rabid users who read your attempt to introduce graphic standards as a insulting challenge to their skills and who will wast no effort to demonstrate that it is they that posess the complete mastery over this program that too often pretends to be a layout program.

There's an old saying borrowed from computer programmers that covers this:
              "If the input editor has been designed to reject all bad input, an ingenious idiot will discover a method to get bad data past it."

Beware the ingenious idiots.

Comment

It makes sense to print the letter heads blank first to save on coloured ink too. They don't want to be wasting the office deskjet coloured ink cartridges on all that black type they intend to put on the page.
                at best my spelling *and grammar* is crap and at worst it are be carp

Comment

Yeah, Word is terrible. They spent their time adding the functionality for making a (really bad) webpage out of a word-processing document but didn't add a function for being able to give different pages different margins, regardless of the body text that flows onto those pages.

Ugh...

And now my second challenge: trying to lock objects so people don't mess with them. AND adding form fields for people to add their own contact info, but without messing up the type styles. I'm beginning to see that the major problem is that design isn't separated from content, as it is in the wonderful world of Web 2.0.

I'm not a programmer or a software developer, but you'd think the geniuses at Microsoft would have figured these things out within, what, 20 years (?) of Word development?

Comment

>> Beware the ingenious idiots. <<

or indigenous idiots.
                    Last edited by Mynock; 04-26-2007, 06:47 PM.
                    Less be more.

Comment

OR even worse, the disingenuous idiots.

Comment

BUT don't forget deciduous idiots.
                        Less be more.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic_Nerdish
                          I did something similar recently, but used the Text Field Tool in Acrobat Pro after exporting a PDF in InDesign. After you set up the file, all they need is Acrobat Reader to be able to use it to print on the letterheads. It's another option.
                          Is there any way to make a .pdf form so that the user can enter information in fields from Reader, and then save the form as a new .pdf? (Not only be able to print it)

Comment

Originally posted by fredrich
                            Is there any way to make a .pdf form so that the user can enter information in fields from Reader, and then save the form as a new .pdf? (Not only be able to print it)
                            Not without acrobat professional. You can put an email button in there and it will send out an xml file which you can then put back into the PDF and print or save with Pro.
                            Less be more.

Comment

So in other words, Adobe is causing people to have to make document templates in Word. Great thinking.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X