Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help A.s.a.p

Hi

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong board!

A potential job opportunity responded to my email (email included cv & no artwork) requesting for an online portfolio link (which I don't have) or examples of my work.

In there job description they indicated that they did a lot of powerpoint work. So I thought this was a nice chance to send a simple but nice little powerpoint presentation. (I know powerpoint quite well). But now I am stumped as to how many examples of my portfolio I should include within it??? 3 EXAMPLES, 5 EXAMPLES.....MORE!!!!!

I'm a grad student who took six months off after graduating due to illness and then fell into an admin job, so not only is my portfolio a little too thin but I think I have lost quite a bit of my confidence! The idea of opening my portfolio to a complete stranger is completely petrifying! But I think if I don't start moving now I will never - and be in the same admin job in ten years!

Does anyone have an idea of how many examples I should send via email and/or any tips on anything else, for instance what sort of stuff I should include since I will have to redo my portfolio, I am just not happy with it.

P.S. I have no graphic design work experience in my favour, so I need to pull out all the stops.

Please a.s.a.p back since I want to reply by mid-day tomorrow.

Thanks for reading.

I would send something in the area of 10 samples, maybe about 15 max.
    Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
    mediamainline.com
    cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

^That's what I was thinking.

blog/portfolio

Comment

I think it depends on how much stuff you have to show them too. Because you've said you have little experience, if you only have 15 pieces in total to show, then I wouldn't show all of them in your presentation. If you go in for an interview and they want to see actual pieces, then you only have repeat stuff to show them. If you have enough stuff, then go with 10-15. But if you don't have that much to show, I would show less in the event they want to see more in person.
        You're no longer a child when a mud puddle is an obstacle rather than an opportunity!

Comment

Good point, Cornfed... Plus, you only want to show your absolute strongest pieces! If you can't fill a portfolio with all strong pieces, then simply don't fill it. Don't put anything in that you might consider sub-standard.
          Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
          mediamainline.com
          cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

Make it something that can be read in under 10 minutes.

Comment

I would say about ten pieces.

And I would like you to consider that opening your portolio to a stranger is really a great thing. When you do a follow up, you can get feedback and find out what worked and what didn't work in your portfolio. Then, even if you don't get the job, you can start to formulate a plan of attack for the next interview.
              David Scott | Cosmic: Graphic Design & Advertising

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
              Working...
              X