Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• lowfatgraphics
    Reply to Font Management
    lowfatgraphics
    Thanks.

I was testing the Font Suitcase and seems to be screwing with my Chrome bowsers...after some googling--looks like its a known issue. FEX it is then.

Thanks Garricks....
    Today, 08:29 PM
  • <b>
    Comment on RIP: The Necrology Thread
    <b>
    As just a listener of music, his work with Cream, along with Eric Clapton and Ginger Baker, have been among my most favorite pieces of music since I was just a kid. Somehow it always manages to surprise...
    Today, 07:25 PM
  • <b>
    Reply to Created Logo in PS, question about file
    <b>
    I think a lot depends on what one's definition of a logo might be. Many beginners and amateurs tend to make logos that are really just small, complicated illustrations. Most professionals, on the other...
    Today, 06:47 PM
  • Cosmo
    Reply to RIP: The Necrology Thread
    Cosmo
    Man. It hasn't been a good year.

RIP Jack Bruce - http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2014/10...am-jack-bruce/

As a bass player, Jack was a huge influence on me.
    Today, 06:04 PM
  • Chromez
    Created Logo in PS, question about file
    Chromez
    Hello everyone,

So i created a logo for a friend of mine in Photoshop. I needed to add a lot of text effects which i'm more comfortable in compared to Illustrator (which i only know the basic...
    Today, 05:45 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golds and Silvers

I have a client that wants to use gold or silver as a color in a logo. I am having a dickens of time find a suitable swatch. Any ideas. I would really appreciate it.
    Caleb
    Its not "Mitch-ed" stupid....its Me-Show.

As in Metallic gold or metallic silver?

PMS 877 for silver, 871 for gold ... of course they can only be used for offset and spot colors.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

i am sorry. How do i bring up that swatch in illy. I take it i can use the color for a stroke?

thanks

Comment

^ these are actual metallic inks - they won't look the same on screen as they will print, and they will have to be printed as a pantone spot color - you won't be able to mix them from CMYK.

If I remember right, when printing the logo on letterhead or envelope, you will need to specify that the inks need to be laser safe (imitation metallic flake) or they can spark from the heat when going through a laser printer.

In illy you go to window > swatch libraries > pantone solid coated/uncoated (depending on what sort of stock you will be printing on) and choose them from there.

If you want to stick to an ink that can be reproduced with a CMYK mix, you can use a non-metallic pantone color. I'd recommend getting your hands on a pantone swatch book and choosing one from there. The colors will not look the same on screen as they will on paper. If you go visit a print shop in your area they will probably let you take a look at a pantone swatch book so you can choose colors from that. Bear in mind that pantone spot colors don't reproduce exactly when printed in CMYK either.
        Last edited by morea; 04-26-2007, 11:04 PM.
        "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

Click on the arrowtip in the top-right of the Swatches palette, and choose Open Swatch Library.

You can use that swatch on any stroke or fill, yes.
          Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
          mediamainline.com
          cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

i think this answers my question. i was confused cause onscreen the color looked different. however, if it prints different that answers my question. thanks for yalls help.

caleb

Comment

pantone is a offset process to add.

So if your printing digital the colors won't print as expected.

Comment

When you want to print a Pantone color, do you say to your printer which ones is Pantone (and what code), or can they see this themselves from your swatch choice?

Comment

The printer will be able to see which colours you have chosen but you must also tell them that you want that Pantone colour printing out of spot, not CMYK.

We often get CMYK jobs with many, many Pantone colours specified in it. If you're after a Spot Colour then use it in the document AND tell the printer about it as well. Thats the safest way.
                  "Here lies Spug. He never tried an avocado"

Comment

metalic's are a nightmare!!

You need to explain to your client that the cost will increase when you print them as you will be printing the standard colours and then the additional metalic.

When you proof your logo they will either need to imagine that the colour you have specified is gold or silver, unless of course you go to the extra expense of having your printer run off the designs for you, using the actual metalic colours chosen. You could take a swatch of the colour with you but again this takes a leap of imagination by the client to colour match the logo.

Where will the logo be used - stationary, newspaper ads, packaging and then there is the web?

Alternatively you can try and create a metal effect as a CMYK/RGB image that can be used anywhere - brushed metal with a shade to give that reflective effect.

Comment

Originally posted by SpugNothuson
                      The printer will be able to see which colours you have chosen but you must also tell them that you want that Pantone colour printing out of spot, not CMYK.

We often get CMYK jobs with many, many Pantone colours specified in it. If you're after a Spot Colour then use it in the document AND tell the printer about it as well. Thats the safest way.
                      If you choose a Pantone color from one of the Pantone swatches in Illustrator, will this be a problem for a CMYK job?

Also, if say I get a certain Pantone code from a client, how can I apply this in Illustrator without manually checking through the swatches?

Comment

Originally posted by fredrich
                        If you choose a Pantone color from one of the Pantone swatches in Illustrator, will this be a problem for a CMYK job?
                        The color will almost certainly shift when the color space changes from spot
                        to process. There are no true metallic colors in CMYK either, only simulations. I'm
                        not sure that I understand your other question.

Comment

Silver and gold
                          Silver and gold
                          I'd rather have GDF than silver and gold
                          No fame or fortune
                          Nor riches untold

Don't give me a mansion
                          on top of the hill
                          Don't give me the world
                          with a shallow thrill
                          But just give me a saviour
                          My life GDF can hold

I woke up this morning
                          Feeling kind of down
                          I called on my best friend
                          She could not be found
                          But I called on GDF
                          My life GDF can hold

For unto us a forum is born
                          A son is given
                          I'd rather have GDF
                          What profits a man to gain the whole world and loose GDF's soul
                          I'd rather have GDF
                          For there's no other name given under heaven
                          Whereby we must be saved
                          I'd rather have GDF
                          He's the only one that can save you
                          I'd rather have GDF than siver and gold
                          Last edited by Mynock; 05-04-2007, 05:54 PM.
                          Less be more.

Comment

what a beautiful tribute, Mynock.
                            "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

Originally posted by doubting_thomas
                              The color will almost certainly shift when the color space changes from spot
                              to process. There are no true metallic colors in CMYK either, only simulations. I'm
                              not sure that I understand your other question.
                              Didn't quite understand my question either when I think about it.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X