Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• sFear
    Tron-type Grid Theme for TankPit Game
    sFear
    I've been trying to create a new graphics theme for TankPit (just an online game I play). My friends have told me it's hard on the eyes.

How to have the Tron-type, illuminated cyan look...
    Today, 03:21 PM
  • sFear
    Hello. sFear here! :D
    sFear
    Hello everyone!

I'm just recently getting into graphics design. I found this site through Google and thought I might be able to learn a lot and get some good advice from the experts!
    Today, 03:05 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Unused designs - who owns them?
    KitchWitch
    Hi EmberMike and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
    Today, 01:40 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Comment on Avatars
    KitchWitch
    If you read the original post, you'll find, "The function that allows avatars to be uploaded broke a few weeks ago for unknown reasons." There's a workaround posted in comment #6 you can try....
    Today, 01:39 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to How to choose a good graphic design for a web design company?
    KitchWitch
    Hi Omar and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything...
    Today, 01:35 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do i go about drawing this?

Hi all,
    I am new to this forum so Hi everyone, and I have a quick question. Basically I am doing a job for someone and they have drawn me a rough sketch. and this is how they want it. As you can see on the jpeg there is a cherub and a border round it. the Cherub is his logo which i have, but I am struggling with this border round it. I can see a few bows on it and some kind of floral shape at the top and apparently it has to be just like that. How do i go about drawing this so it looks the same but is a nice clean border? I can vector fine but I cannot hand draw very well. So if anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Thank you
    Tazzy
    Attached Files

I guess you have to use the pen tool in Illustrator and form the curves with that to get the cleanest possible illustration. And since it is only a rough sketch, you may not want to draw exactly what he sketched up for you, but something along the lines of it.

Comment

Hi Fredrich
      thanks for your reply, I acctualy trace better in Corel Draw so probably what i am better doing is using a single stroke to create the curves then import into adobe and adding some kind of graphic style to thicken the curves in different places I am guessing.

Comment

Either find a 'clip art' border that you can scavenge parts from
        or learn to draw.
        You need to incorporate the style of the cherub into the border.

'Graphic Designers' who can't hand draw are as handicapped as 'Web Site Designers' who can't code. You have to rely on software and scavenged parts. Not very creative.

Comment

Hi printdriver
          I completely agree with you, the inability to draw is my biggest downside, and if I could draw I could be so much better at my job!! Is there anything you can suggest to get me on the right tracks for learning to hand draw properly? See I thought it was a natural thing to be able to draw, but i believe it probably can be taught. So are there any good tutorials for this sort of thing?

Thanks

Comment

take a class at your local community college. they offer drawing classes for cheap usally. i learned a lot from drawing classes

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Comment

Being able to draw is a big help but you can get by without being a master like Typically advised I would take some drawing classes at your community college you would be surprised how much you can learn in one of these if you are a beginner.
              How about a chain pickerel in your bath tub?

Comment

Import the image into Illustrator, Coral Draw or whatever. Then just trace over it with the pen tool. Then spend some time cleaning it all up. There is not really an easier way. Could try a live trace - but probably won't be of much use.

Comment

Get this first:
                  http://www.amazon.com/Drawing-right-...7692482&sr=1-4
                  Then take a course if you have to.

There's a new version out too with a workbook. I haven't reviewed it but I know the program in the first book does produce results that only get better with practice.

Comment

Originally posted by inferlogic
                    Hi printdriver
                    I completely agree with you, the inability to draw is my biggest downside, and if I could draw I could be so much better at my job!! Is there anything you can suggest to get me on the right tracks for learning to hand draw properly? See I thought it was a natural thing to be able to draw, but i believe it probably can be taught. So are there any good tutorials for this sort of thing?

Thanks
                    The only reason why you "have" an inability to draw, is because someone must have told you that when you where younger.

Anyone can draw, it is just how they where influenced by others.

You are believing that you can't draw, because that is what they told you.

If you ignore what those people have told you, and reverse your thinking "I can draw", you will be able to accomplish it.

So, just do it. Pick up a pencil/pen, paper and start drawing. If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything.

Last edited by Navian; 04-27-2007, 06:25 PM.
                    pasยทsion
                    If there is no passion in your life, then have you already lived? Find your passion, whatever it may be. Become it, and let it become you, and you will find great things happen for you, to you, and because of you.
                    -T. Alan Armstrong

Comment

PD, glad to hear that that book is reccomended. I am working through it and hopefully improving my current bottom-shelf drawing skills.
                      Think of me as programmable soda.
                      Tori Amos

Comment

Drawing is a lot about practice. Your skills really improve as you go along. I recommend purchasing some sketch books and filling them up! After you've filled a few, go back and peruse your first ones and see how much you've improved!
                        You're no longer a child when a mud puddle is an obstacle rather than an opportunity!

Comment

i love going through my old sketch books! i find random bits of stuff that i forgot about. i can also remember where i was when i was drawing which can be good and bad =] it is all about practice get some good pencils and a good eraser and just have fun

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

Comment

...and a stump!! I love my blending stump! I have stumps in my car, in my purse, on my counter....whenever I need one all I pretty much have to do is look down. I also keep a little sketch book in my purse for quick doodles and such. That way, whenever I feel the urge, I can just do it!
                            You're no longer a child when a mud puddle is an obstacle rather than an opportunity!

Comment

good call! totally forgot about those i usually just use my finger or a piece of paper towel i have laying around because im to lazy to dig them out of my artbox

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X