Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• <b>
    Reply to How to choose a scanner?
    <b>
    I agree, the Canoscan is a good scanner -- especially for the price. I've bought a couple of Epson Perfection V700 Photo Scanners for work, and would do so again if they're still made. They've been very...
    Today, 03:54 AM
  • PanToshi
    Reply to [ Logo Critique ] Period or not at the end of the tagline?
    PanToshi
    Adding my vote for keeping it.
    Today, 03:31 AM
  • PanToshi
    Reply to Glad to Be Here Now!
    PanToshi
    Welcome to GDF Tess

We ask all new members to read the very important links here and here. These explain the rules and how the forum runs. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every...
    Today, 02:44 AM
  • PanToshi
    Comment on Where do you find talent?
    PanToshi
    Yep, like I said, freelancers who are hoping to work full-time for the company for which they are occasionally freelancing are unemployed designers who are freelancing until they find full-time work.
    Today, 02:40 AM
  • MichaelWied
    Comment on Where do you find talent?
    MichaelWied
    The "freelancers" are basically there to be called in if a big project comes up and they need the extra hand, and these are designers hoping to get a full time spot at the company.
    Today, 01:51 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get in there!

Is it safe to save a PSD and place it into an InDesign document for print?

Have recently started work at a new company where the designers continuously use cut out images, saved as PSD's and then place them into InDesign documents so as to avoid the white backround when saving as EPS's

Is this a bad idea?
    A woman tells her doctor, 'I've got a bad back.'
    The doctor says, 'It's old age.'
    The woman says, 'I want a second opinion.'
    The doctor says: 'Okay - you're ugly as well.'

It's a good idea. It'll work fine.
    WYSIWYG

Comment

Yeah, it works. Just make sure the PDS files are in CMYK format. The transparent background also works with EPS and TIFF.
      Broke or just cheap? Read my list of free open source alternatives to Adobe Creative Suite software.

Comment

To "avoid the white background" in an eps you can change your screen preview on one image or all to High Quality display.

It's best to check with the printer you are using regarding using PSD format in InDesign. Most are up to speed on InD now so it isn't a problem but there are still a few out there that aren't believing it's the program du jour.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for getting back guys -

Yeah, it works. Just make sure the PDS files are in CMYK format. The transparent background also works with EPS and TIFF.

However, I am alittle confused as whenever I save a colour image with clipping path as an EPS, it definitely saves with a white background.

Comment

Did you tick "Save Transparency" when you are saving as an eps?
            It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Object>Clipping Path>Photoshop Path (tip arrow)

Have you ever used InD or Quark before?

Comment

Or when you're importing, check "Show more options", and you can activate the Photoshop clipping path there.

One note about TIFF transparency (which was mentioned)... You have to have THE most up to date programs to handle it. Even Illustrator CS can't open a transparent TIFF! If you need alpha transparency (if you have soft edges or partial opacity), I would suggest PSD format, but if you can get away with hard-edged vector transparency, use a FLAT tiff with clipping path.
                Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
                mediamainline.com
                cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

You can feather the clipping path of a flattened tif in InD.

Comment

Originally posted by budafist
                    Did you tick "Save Transparency" when you are saving as an eps?

I have checked the 'lock transparent pixels' box However it still retains the white.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver
                      Object>Clipping Path>Photoshop Path (tip arrow)

Have you ever used InD or Quark before?
                      Have used InDesign, however only for basic DTP. When I follow your instruction above, I am then very reliant on the threshold to reduce the white line of pixels around the path of the photoshop EPS? Without it ever completely leaving a clean line.

I mean what I'm really wanting to know is - Is placing a PSD into the InDesign doc a risk for print?

Comment

It really depends on your workflow.

Are you sending to your printer as pdf? If so, you're safe as houses. Well, for typical offset print jobs you're safe, anyway. I'm sure PD could bring up some fancy extra-big format stuff where it'll cause problems, but mostly it's plenty safe.

If you're sending raw files, then it really depends on how up to date your printer's software is. For the most part, it should still be fine, and I haven't had a problem with it for quite a while, but there are still some printers out there for whom it might be a problem.

So, in short: It's probably okay, but check with your printer to be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by hewligan
                          It really depends on your workflow.

Are you sending to your printer as pdf? If so, you're safe as houses. Well, for typical offset print jobs you're safe, anyway. I'm sure PD could bring up some fancy extra-big format stuff where it'll cause problems, but mostly it's plenty safe.

If you're sending raw files, then it really depends on how up to date your printer's software is. For the most part, it should still be fine, and I haven't had a problem with it for quite a while, but there are still some printers out there for whom it might be a problem.

So, in short: It's probably okay, but check with your printer to be sure.
                          Thats perfect, thanks for your help, and eleviating my panic.

Comment

as print driver said

http://www.heathrowe.com/tuts/knocko...ckout=clippath
                            When I awoke today, suddenly nothing happened
                            But in my dreams, I slew the dragon

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                            Working...
                            X