Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resume-Relevant experience or everything?

Hi guys, first post!
    I've read back through all of the old resume and cv posts, but still have a quick question... Im 23 and out of college two years, since then ive had two short design contracts and have been working freelance while holding a retail job otherwise. Im updating my cv/resume at the mo and im really struggling on the work experience issue. Ive got some really good experience, both in design and pre-press/printing but im afraid the fact that ive been working retail longer will tarnish it. From past experience what do you guys think? A full work experience history or just the relevant stuff? Will an employer just dump my cv if they see gaps in employment? Thanks guys.

I'd rather see Retail rather than gaps. If you have been Freelancing while doing Retail, stress that first rather than second.

When people see unexplained gaps, they think prison. It's not nice but it is true. I had to put 1 year of attending college full time in my resume to explain a year of no paying work. A kind person who reviewed my resume told me why the resume was rejected.

Comment

Wow, really? Talk about jumping to conclusions! Happily i've pretty much done as you've suggested and emphasised that i was freelancing during the time and that the retail job was just to pay the bills! Thanks for the help

Comment

As PD mentions, gaps in your resume are bad. Even if someone doesn't think of "prison" they might think you were just unemployed and were happy enough to laze around and do nothing that you really aren't interested in being hired, but your mom's been bitchin' at you toget a job to pay for the junk food you chow on while watching TV. Filling the gaps shows you're able and willing to hold a job.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by Virgo Nightingale
          As PD mentions, gaps in your resume are bad. Even if someone doesn't think of "prison" they might think you were just unemployed and were happy enough to laze around and do nothing that you really aren't interested in being hired, but your mom's been bitchin' at you toget a job to pay for the junk food you chow on while watching TV. Filling the gaps shows you're able and willing to hold a job.
          personal experience perhaps? ...i kid!

what about gaps for child-rearing?...that's what stumps me...being able to translate a decade of 'managed chaos' into marketable job skills...
          Monarchs Rule!

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
          Working...
          X