Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• PanToshi
    Reply to Logo design for Game Developer
    PanToshi
    Are you seriously considering passing off a stolen logo graphic as "your design" to a forum of professional designers? Freakin' hilarious.

Copying someone else work is not what...
    Today, 03:45 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Hello all!
    KitchWitch
    Hi Edz and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything...
    Today, 03:34 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Colors for a map...
    KitchWitch
    Hi Gorgon and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
    Today, 03:33 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Logo design for Game Developer
    KitchWitch
    In addition to whats been said above, your company name and logo should not be created in the same process. People who do this tend to be too willing to change their company name to suit a cool logo design....
    Today, 03:31 PM
  • Laceycowgurl
    Reply to Print image quality
    Laceycowgurl
    Thanks guys! I had a very stern convo with the boss yesterday. Hopefully it will keep him a bay until the next project. He's just as cheap as he can get and refuses to pay for photography. He's lucky...
    Today, 03:19 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got refused in design school :(

I received my letter from the university and the answer was negative, I won't be attending design school next semester Instead I was accepted in Sociology with a minor in history of art this is quite depressing.

I would like to seek advice from you guys.

I have a post secondary diploma in graphic design and I currently have these two options in head:

1- continue my studies in sociology, and reapply for graphic design again next year.

2- put on hold studies, and seek for a job in graphic design (with the risk of ending up with nothing)

I am currently doing an internship as a graphic designer and they have offered me a job for this summer. But that is because their in house designer is on maternity leave. Once she gets back in september, I will be out of a job...

I'd be grateful if you could give me some advice
    Thx

You could try talking to the professors at the college, to see what aspects of design they teach, that you might be lacking at the moment. If your dream is graphic design, then I would go for it. But, if you could have a backup in Sociology, then why not go for it as well. If the university doesn't think your design skills are adequate enough for their school, then (take this lightly), you might not be ready for a career in Graphic Design yet. If you do choose to pursue Sociology, I would spend my free time studying the world of Graphic Design and practice your design skills. Work on mastering the tools you have, and refining the skills you've already acquired.
    "I can't find the roman numerals in the Glyphs palette." - Classmate
    The statement that made Typography class an instant classic.

Comment

If design is what you feel passionate about, I would stick with the summer job. Do a really, really good job here - with the intentions of either staying on when the maternity leave fi, or getting a fantastic reference from your employer. Always do more than what is expected of you and learn everything you can.

Keep building your portfolio while you are working. It is never too early to start working on a portfolio.
      It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Personally, I wouldn't waste money on studying things that you won't need. There's more than one university out there, follow what you want to do.

BTW- there's also online courses now, if moving or local is not an option. Most take grants and financial aid as well. You have to be self motivated to get the best benefit from an online course.

Good luck,
        Jade

Comment

I would definately put work experience if you can get it ahead of studying. Its rare to get a job in design without any professional qualifications so you have done really well to get that. I think you need to decide what you really want to do sociology or graphics. If its graphics, go for the job but why not do a part time graphics course. Who knows what your summer job could lead to. If you're good they may keep you on or recommend you to someone else
          Graphic Design Blog

Comment

Not to offend the Original Poster but I've often wondered what would happen to the design field if more Design schools actually set entry standards for students entering the program rather than taking anyone with money. For example, High end music schools such as Berklee College of Music don't let just anyone in because they've always dreamed of playing the piano. You have to pass the audition.

Just a thought anyway...

Comment

My school had some strict standards and a lot of people got turned away. I think it was for the best. Tuan, I'm not saying you suck or anything. I have no idea. I think the best thing for you to do is to set up a meeting and find out why you didn't get in. See if theres anything you can do to increase your chances of getting in next year. My school wouldn't let you in the design school unless you had met certain prerequisites. Perhaps thats the case here and you don't know about it. I'd find out first before making any major decisions.
              You're no longer a child when a mud puddle is an obstacle rather than an opportunity!

Comment

My college had strict standards too, you have money you get to attend school. Actually you don't have to have money, loans work too.
                Less be more.

Comment

I agree with Cornfed, find out why if you don't know you can't improve.
                  How about a chain pickerel in your bath tub?

Comment

why not take some core classes (english, science, math, social sciences, whatever) and a few art courses this year - as these will benefit you in just about ANY degree... do your best to improve, and apply again next year? If this is what you REALLY want to do, don't let a setback like this discourage you.

Did you know that Michael Jorden was cut from his high school basketball team, and then went on to be one of the greatest players in the NBA?

Hard work and dedication can overcome MANY obstacles! Keep your chin up.
                    "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

>>Instead I was accepted in Sociology with a minor in history of art this is quite depressing.<<

But not half as depressing as being a parent who's just given up most of their retirement savings to pay for their kid to take something like this.

What a friggin' mess. Not you, I mean what has become of the whole connection between the reality of the work that needs to be done, the skills we need, and the credentialist corporate HR recruitment system we call university/college. I sincerely believe that in some future time this period of human history will be known most for it's wasteful handling of human potential.

Wish I knew where the reset switch was.

Comment

Originally posted by Broacher
                        >>Instead I was accepted in Sociology with a minor in history of art this is quite depressing.<<

But not half as depressing as being a parent who's just given up most of their retirement savings to pay for their kid to take something like this.
                        Im actually paying my own scolarity fees. My parents havent paid anything for me ever since I finished high school.

Thanks for the useful advices people.

Comment

^ that's the route I took too. It's hard, but it really makes you appreciate what you have.

Don't get discouraged!

Comment

Whoa morea, I was just thinking of Jordan and you pulled the card.

Tuan- there is nothing wrong with a little Tenacity. I think your summer job is going to give some real world experience. I know when I was in school that some of the best students where ones that had worked before. keep your head up
                            I don't make mistakes. I thought I did once but I was wrong.

www.deepanchorgraphics.com

Comment

I've always been a Bulls fan.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X